Monday, April 14, 2014

Candidate roster adds 1, loses 1

From page A1 | February 07, 2014 | 29 Comments

The candidate field for the upcoming election has increased by one and dropped by one since last week.

Joining the fray for District 5 Supervisor is Kevin Brown, a businessman living in Pollock Pines. He will compete against Teresa Piper, a retail clerk from Pollock Pines, as well as four candidates from South Lake Tahoe — Kenny Curtzwiler (businessman), Gerri Grego (project manager), Sue Novasel (businesswoman) and Angela Swanson (city council member).

On the other hand, the list of those running for Supervisor in District 4 is now shorter as Mike Maruniak has decided to drop from the race.
Those still running include: Scott McNeil (Board member CPCSD — Cameron Park), Tim Palmer (educator — Cool), Mike Pettibone (businessman — Shingle Springs), Michael Ranalli (businessman — Lotus), Dave Souza (rancher — Garden Valley), Winston Pingrey (private investigator — Shingle Springs), Howard Penn (businessman — Coloma), and Lori Parlin (community activist — Shingle Springs).
In other races, the candidate list is unchanged.

Candidates for Superior Court Judge, Office 1, are Vicki Ashworth, David Combellack and Joseph Weinberger. In Office 3, the sole candidate for Superior Court Judge is Suzanne Kingsbury. In Office 4, the sole candidate for Superior Court Judge is Steven Bailey. Candidates for Superior Court Judge, Office 5, are Joseph Hoffman and Dylan Mary Sullivan. For Superior Court Judge, Office 6, the sole candidate is James Robert Wagoner.

Running for reelection as incumbents for county positions are Jeremy Meyers for Superintendent of Schools, Karl Weiland for Assessor, Vern Pierson for District Attorney, Bill Schultz for Recorder-Clerk, John D’Agostini for Sheriff-Coroner-Public Administrator, Rich Briner for Surveyor and C.L. Raffety for Treasurer-Tax Collector.

Incumbent Auditor-Controller Joe Harn, CPA, will face off against challenger Mike Owen, CPA.

Running for Lieutenant Governor is Bogdan “Bo” Ambrozewicz. Jason Mallory, a writer/journalist from South Lake Tahoe, and Kris Johnson, an engineer living in Granite Bay, are running for U.S. Representative, 4th District, against incumbent Tom McClintock.

Contact Dawn Hodson at 530-344-5071 or dhodson@mtdemocrat.net. Follow @DHodsonMtDemo on Twitter.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 06, 2014 - 7:08 pm

Give Harn the horn.

• You BetFebruary 09, 2014 - 6:11 pm

GUANGDONG, CHINA — The administration of the non-psychotropic cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD) protects the liver from damage caused by alcohol consumption, according to preclinical data published online in the journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine. Investigators from China and the US assessed whether cannabidiol administration can protect against alcohol-induced steatosis (excessive fat build up in the liver). They reported, “[C]annabidiol protects mouse liver from acute alcohol-induced steatosis through multiple mechanisms including attenuation of alcohol-mediated oxidative stress … and increasing autophagy (degradation of dysfunctional cells).” Separate investigations of CBD, primarily in animal models, have documented the cannabinoid to possess a variety of therapeutic qualities, including anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-epileptic, anti-cancer, anti-psychotic, and bone-stimulating properties. Human trials assessing the administration of CBD in healthy subjects report the compound to be “safe and well-tolerated.”

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 09, 2014 - 7:03 pm

RE: - ". . . They reported, “[C]annabidiol protects mouse liver from acute alcohol-induced steatosis . . . "It would be a better read to discover how in the world they trained mice to toke.

• VernFebruary 07, 2014 - 4:02 am

Give Schultz the horn.

• residentFebruary 07, 2014 - 8:18 am

The Browns are good people. PP deserves to have local representation. I don't know any of the SLT candidates. But I assume they are all of the Santiago mind think.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 07, 2014 - 8:41 am

resident...Kevin is very good people. As well as Piper. I would like to see both come to the center and allow the community to meet and greet...not everyone knows both of them. You are right --some support Santiago...as does CEDAPP. I like Ms. Santiago. CEDAPPS director brought lies into our town through "visioning" meetings. Luckily Kevin as well as other education people realised on their own and removed themselves from those meetings. Education should be neutral in communities--because parents can be on both sides of the coin. Piper also comes from here...and knows the issues. All candidates are invited to sponsor themselves at the center to talk to all of us. I will sign all petitions to anyone to ballot. then I will read, listen and remember...before I decide. Candidates form Tahoe are just as welcome. They have gaming and major tourism up there...which is important to the county. I would love to see someone represent us. Someone who will represent ALL of us...we have three supervisors here in Pollock--three votes at the BOS table. I for one--do not want them to all think the same...because how fair is that. I honor both Kevin and Piper for representing us here in Pollock Pines. People who are split in our community over CEDAPP/Chamber issues will be asking the same questions--What do you as candidates support?

• Rescue residentFebruary 07, 2014 - 8:46 am

McNeil should do the right thing and drop out of the race for District 4 supervisor. He lied about where he lived when he was going to run in the District 2 race. Now Scott and his buddies will kick and scream and say "No No" that is not true. But it is and he knows it. You would me amazed at the trail of friends that were involved in the scam. He is a liar and a bully.

• EALFebruary 07, 2014 - 1:43 pm

For the sake of El Dorado County residents, All Incumbents need to be voted out of office. EAL

• JeanFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:42 pm

wow, someone is actually running against Joe Harn, Definitely going to vote for the new person.

• taxpayerFebruary 07, 2014 - 3:49 pm

Getting rid of Joe Harn would contribute significantly toward cleaning up the work environment at EDC.

• Diva DogFebruary 08, 2014 - 10:34 am

Piper will work hard for the community. Very tenacious.

• ARATFebruary 08, 2014 - 4:59 pm

Well if Diva dog endorses Piper, 1036 Frank's GF then I'm in.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 08, 2014 - 5:18 pm

I dont think Diva Dog is who you think...I was with Piper about that time....she was supporting the Interactive Kids breakfast this morning...I did not see a smartphone in her hand. all candidates need to do a meet and greet--and come talk to the community. They do not need to be sponsered...just knock on the office door and ask to rent the hall...Im not voting until I read--listen--read some more...see people in the same room...I will not vote for anyone that does not take the time to engage with the whole community...going through groups--doesnt work for me.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 08, 2014 - 5:21 pm

sorry my mistake...I thought you were saying diva dog was Piper...nevermind. lololol 1036...is not who you think it is. sorry.

• ARATFebruary 09, 2014 - 6:51 am

1036frank is Larry Hennick shrugging shoulders. Piper is his GF :)

• Fran DuchampFebruary 09, 2014 - 8:14 am

ARAT :) He said he wasnt...are you saying someone would tell me a fib to my face :( well that would be sad. Except when we were all at the Little league fundraiser...I think 1036 posted on this wall...when Mr. Hennick was still there. well a mystery--I love mysteries :) I tend to just believe people when they tell me things--cant change now. And Piper told me herself who her boyfriend was. I am just thankful that Kevin Brown and Piper are going to represent us from Pollock Pines.I know both will represent us the best they can. Both are not afraid to talk to us up here. I have questions for both when they do a meet and greet.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 09, 2014 - 8:40 am

Kenny Curtzwiler (businessman), Gerri Grego (project manager), Sue Novasel (businesswoman) and Angela Swanson (city council member). Five people running for dist.5. I have met Grego and Sue...both very nice people. Both have come to support some of the activities in our space. Grego has working knowledge of "gaming." which is part of Dist. 5. Sue has been part of the "community Plan" in Meyers.I am looking for honesty in answers. Business is very important--but what about the consumer? Without the consumer...there is no business. Piper is in a interesting position--being a clerk allows her to see in general what the economy is like. Having been a cashier for years...not only do you get to know the people in a space--you can see overall what is happening in the economy. Are people buying name brand...or really focusing on essentials right now? And really important--what does the public think about what is going on around them? That family with four kids--where everyone works...and they are just getting by. Now Kevin knows what is happening in education...he also has been working with many of the political people up and down the hill--he has served on many fundraisers along side his family, One being the success of the MORE program. And he runs a successful business. Both of these candidates are bringing something to the table. both know the issues. It is going to be a fair race for both of them. Both have loving supportive family and friends. Miss sue asked me if I thought this community could work together on the community plan--I said "no" if it is done with lies again. Good luck to everyone :) I wouldnt come in sponsored--come as yourselves.

• Kenny "Tahoe Skibum" CurtzwilerFebruary 23, 2014 - 1:01 pm

Fran Duchamp, I am Kenny Curtzwiler and am willing to talk with you about who I am. What I will not do is engage with anonymous posters either in your area or mine. If you are willing to contact me I will be more than happy to let you and the residents of Pollock Pines know who I am. If you would like to talk in person I can be found everyday around 3 pm skiing Chairline at Sierra At Tahoe and then in the bar having a Hot Chocolate. I will be the one with the ponytail. Cell-530-308-5265 Home-530-577-5678

• Fran DuchampFebruary 23, 2014 - 1:43 pm

Well hello, Kenny "Tahoe Skibum" Curtzwiler--it is not about talking to me... it is about talking to a whole town. We would love you to come down here with the other candidates and meet and greet. Im betting if you guys get together...the cost would be almost nothing. But thanks for the shout out :). A few of the others have said they would love to....maybe in march. As far as getting the word out...it already is...we are just waiting for a date. One of my Art history teachers in college (spoke 9 languages--had PHD s in several fields)--considered themselves a "surfer"...to each their sport. So get on that phone and call the other candidates....three votes on the board...three people who need to address the people of Pollock--not just the little groups in town. 70% of us vote.

• Kenny CurtzwilerFebruary 23, 2014 - 2:05 pm

We built our Children's Memorial Tree in a cabinet shop there or actually Dan Jones did. As far as coming down you just let me know what would be good for you down there and I will show up. I do not want to call it a campaign trip but a trip so you can know who I am. I don't even own a tie. Close to 3 so I am going to Sierra. Thanks for the response.

• Kenny CurtzwilerFebruary 25, 2014 - 10:10 am

Mini Bio on Kenny Curtzwiler--I have been writing an article under the name of "Skibum" (http://www.mountainnews.net/) up here for about 18 years and my views are well known. Lived here 38, married 33 years, 3 kids, Licensed Contractor #688354, own a Tree Service-Roofing-Construction Clean-up business, own Lake Tahoe Custom Cycles motorcycle shop and am a Retired Major (20 + ) with the Nevada Army National Guard.

• two of a kindFebruary 09, 2014 - 3:26 pm

I'm gonna barf. 1036 Frank and Diva dog are boyfriend and girlfriend.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 09, 2014 - 3:52 pm

two of a kind...that was very mature...rolling eyeballs. I dont know much about either...but they at least seem to be grown ups :) not that youre not.

• Edh MomsFebruary 10, 2014 - 4:17 pm

We could stand to lose another candidate: "Good 'ole Joe Hoffman" Come on Joe....are you really going to try this again. Citizens of El Dorado County still want to know where the gold is! Why you were kicked out of coaching by the Soccer Moms and league. Your a fake and you need to go with "Plan B" of "What I always wanted to be when I was a kid" dream! You have become as corrupt as the criminals you represent. Come on El Dorado people....chant - "We won't get fooled again". Vote him OUT!

• Dont BehatingFebruary 10, 2014 - 6:57 pm

Mt. Democrat prints and Hoffman proudly crows: Auditor Joe Harn endorses Joseph Hoffman for judge El Dorado County Auditor-Controller Joe Harn announced April 18 he is endorsing local attorney and Judge Pro Tem Joseph Hoffman for judge. This was the last election for against Hon. Warren Stracener - who won the election. EDC residents obviously enjoy bashing Harn, but I don't feel that he is a problem to the county as having Hoffman anywhere near making decisions in my county. Why is one Ok and the other bashed? I am a tax payer and long time proud citizen of EDC - and my opinion is as important as the Hoffman clan that hide in the shadows, giving this candidate advice and heckle their way through the evenings of important discussion. Not to mention creating false and misleading websites against their opposing candidate. I would vote for Mickey Mouse 4 judge before I gave my vote to Hoffman. The good ol' boys clearly want a puppet/jester in their court! The court of fools!

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 7:31 pm

I like Dylan...she came up here--rented a room--just to meet people in Pollock Pines. She was at the Little league fund raiser (along with other candidates)--and just spent time talking with people. There is an "air" of honesty about her--a natural concern for fairness.. She is a strong advocate of children. My grandson adored her. I hope more candidates come into town (they dont need sponsors) and set up a meet and greet at our community center. I dont know Mr. Hoffman--hopefully he will come up and meet the community. It is why I voted for John D’Agostini for Sheriff...he was outside Safeway just shaking hands, and introducing himself. Our space mattered to him. It is also where I found Dylan Mary Sullivan--shaking hands and smiling in front of Safeway.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 23, 2014 - 2:00 pm

Or you can come in town and only talk to the small groups--but more and more people are not liking that :) Just saying. Many in town are tired of some feeling their run the place. So candidates come talk to the town...people will come out and listen to you. A huge crowd came to listen to the Sheriff. Crowds are not hard to get--if it is something the people here-- want to listen to :) Voting is a private thing...you can say sure Im voting for you...and not. I have watched a few who seem too be supporting one political group--while behind the scenes they are stabbing them in the back I never tell. Read, listen--pay close attention to the playmates . And deicde for yourselves.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 23, 2014 - 2:04 pm

Typos are my trademark :) So if you see anyone using my name that has no mistakes...it is not me...lolololol

• Fran DuchampFebruary 23, 2014 - 2:19 pm

lololol...talk to the other candidates...enjoy the snow...lolol In the supervisor race...I keep running into two of the candidates up and down the hill...Gerri Grego and Teresa Piper. I go to a variety of meetings and events--so it is interesting to see these two often...it tells me they are trying to get a sense of not only Pollock Pines...but other districts, and what other candidates are doing. Now in all fairness--there are events I do not go to...where the others may be. I just keep running into these two...hopefully they will go listen to the BOS meetings, and the City council meetings <---everyone should go to one.

Water rights detailed for EDWPA board

Supes pick 1% growth forecast

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Sanford trial keys off chain of evidence

Cedar Springs Waldorf offers open house

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 3 Comments

Supervisor responds to Small Farm rate issue

EDH APAC

Government regulations

Censorship?

Schedule: April 14-19, 2014

Sanders breaks through with race victory

By Bill Sullivan | From Page: A6 | Gallery

Lacrosse: Trojans battle but fall to St. Francis

By Brandon Anicich | From Page: A6

Softball: Grizzlies win wild one

Under the Scoreboard: April 13, 2014

Tennis: Golden Sierra vs Forest Lake Christian

El Dorado falls to Cosumnes Oaks

By Mike Bush | From Page: A7

Roundup: April 10-12

Tuvan Throat Singers perform at Harris Center

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B1

The Winner Is … Everyone

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Foothill gourmet: Bacon and cackle berries

By Donna Brown | From Page: B2