In 2007 the El Dorado Sheriff’s Department formed a partnership with Lake Tahoe Community College to expand the college’s existing culinary arts program to the Sheriff’s Tahoe jail. Every year the inmates test their quality by entering the El Dorado County Fair in the Baking and Fiery Fair categories. Since 2007 the inmates have amassed over 70 first, second and third place ribbons. This year the inmates in the culinary arts program earned a total of 31 ribbons: 12 first place, 11 second place, and six third place ribbons.
Thank you for reading the MtDemocrat.com digital edition. In order to continue reading this story please choose one of the following options.
If you are a current subscriber and wish to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com, please select the Subscriber Verification option below. If you already have a login, please select "Login" at the lower right corner of this box.
Special Introductory Offer
For a short time we will be offering a discount to those who call us in order to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your print subscription. Our customer support team will be standing by Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to assist you.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish not to take advantage of our special introductory offer, please select the $12 monthly option below to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your online subscription
The inmates develop not only cooking and baking skills, but pride and life skills as well, which leads to an improved chance of not returning to jail. Many of the inmates quickly find jobs, not only in restaurants, but also gain employment due to the work ethic and skills learned in the program.
Some of the inmate County Fair winners for 2013 were:
• Justin Bozarth: Third Place, Cranberry Orange Bread, Macaroons
• Joseph Genobaga: Third Place, Cinnamon Rolls, Pros & Cons Cake
• Robert Nieri: Third Place, Grandma’s Cookies, Golden Honey Granola Bar
• David Martinez: First Place, Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake
• Agripino Meza: First Place, Fibulas Fig Preserves
• Derek Bond: First Place, Banana Nut Bread, Chocolate Cream Pie; Second Place, Spicy Cookies
• Chris Hunter: First Place, Pumpkin Bread; Second Place, Bundt Cake
• Hollee Johnson: First Place, Lemon Bread; Second Place, Cinnamon Rolls, Coffee Cake, Meringue Mushrooms; Third Place, Caramel Popcorn
• Ben Sharp: First Place, Florentine Cookies; Second Place, Zucchini Bread Pecan Bars
For further information, contact Captain Randy Peshon at 530-642-4706.