The El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Division, will begin conducting low-cost community flu vaccination clinics starting Sept. 19, with additional clinics offered through mid-November. The seasonal influenza vaccine will be available in nasal mist and flu shot forms at the clinics.
This season’s nasal flu vaccine is quadrivalent, which means that it offers protection against four strains of influenza. The vaccine can be given to healthy, non-pregnant individuals that are 2 through 49 years old.
“Everyone 6 months of age or older should get a flu vaccine each year for the best protection against the flu,” said Lynnan Svensson, supervising public health nurse with the Public Health Division. “It is especially important to vaccinate high-risk individuals, such as children under age 5, people 65 years and older, pregnant women and people with chronic diseases like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease. Also, it is critical for health care workers and those individuals taking care of these high-risk persons to be immunized.”
The cost of the vaccine is $10, but no one will be denied service due to inability to pay; cash or check will be accepted. Parents should bring their child’s immunization records. Updated information on the community flu clinics will be posted to edcgov.us/publichealth and on the County Flu Hotline at 530-621-6188.
West Slope Community Flu Clinic dates and locations:
• Sept. 19 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the El Dorado Hills Senior Center, 990 Lassen Lane, El Dorado Hills.
• Sept. 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Georgetown Fire Station, 6281 Main St., Georgetown.
• Sept. 26 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the County Fairgrounds, 100 Placerville Dr., in the Pavilion, Placerville. Drive-through clinic; stay in your car and get vaccinated.
• Oct. 1 from 12:30 to 3 p.m. at the Mother Lode Lions Hall, 4701 Missouri Flat Road, Diamond Springs.
• Oct. 2 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Pioneer Park, 6740 Fairplay, Somerset.
• Oct. 8 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the Community Church, 6361 Pony Express Trail, in the Evergreen Room, Pollock Pines.
• Oct. 9 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the Garden Valley Fire Station, 4860 Marshall Road, Garden Valley.
• Oct. 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Divide Wellness Center, 6065 Highway 193, Georgetown.
• Oct. 23 from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Community Church, 5061 Sciaroni Road, Grizzly Flat.
• Oct. 24 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the Cameron Park Fire Station, 3200 Country Club Drive, Cameron Park.
• Nov. 7 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the County Fairgrounds, 100 Placerville Drive, in the Organ Room, Placerville.
South Lake Tahoe Community Flu Clinic dates and locations:
• Sept. 25, Oct. 9, Oct.23 and Oct.30 from to 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Senior Center, 3050 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe.
• Oct. 16 from 3 to 6 p.m. at Bijou School, 3501 Spruce Avenue, in the Teachers Lounge, South Lake Tahoe.
• Oct. 23 from 3 to 6 p.m. at the South Lake Tahoe Airport, 1901 Airport Road, South Lake Tahoe.