Four years after the Delta Stewardship Council was formed as an independent state agency, four new members have joined the council.
Of the seven members on the Delta Stewardship Council, four are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate, one member is appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules, one appointed by the Speaker of the Assembly and one is the current chairperson of the Delta Protection Commission.
In order to provide for staggered terms, two of the original gubernatorial appointees were given six-year terms. When those terms expire, all appointments will be for four-year terms. The chair is a full-time position. The other six council members are one-third.
At the first meeting of the Delta Stewardship Council on April 1, 2010, Phil Isenberg was elected chair. Randy Fiorini was elected vice chair. In January of this year, at the end of their four-year terms as officers, Isenberg and Fiorini were elected to the reverse offices.
The current Delta Stewardship Council members are:
• Vice Chair Phil Isenberg, Sacramento — former mayor of Sacramento, former California State Assembly member. Appointed March 2010 by Gov. Schwarzenegger, six-year term.
• Patrick Johnston, Stockton — president/CEO California Association of Health Plans, former Senator and Assembly member. Appointed March 2010 by Senate Committee on Rules. Reappointed January 2014.
• Larry Ruhstaller, Stockton — chair, Delta Protection Commission, San Joaquin County supervisor. Appointed October 2013. Succeeds Don Notolli — Galt, Sacramento County supervisor, former chair, Delta Protection Commission. Appointed February 2010 as chair of the Delta Stewardship Council by Gov. Schwarzenegger.
• Frank Damrell Jr., Sacramento — former federal district judge, California deputy attorney general, Stanislaus County deputy district attorney. Appointed March 2013 by Gov. Brown. Damrell succeeds Felicia Marcus, Emeryville — Natural Resources Defense Council western director, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region IX administrator, Los Angeles Board of Public Works commissioner. Appointed July 2010 by Gov. Schwarzenegger. She succeeded Richard Roos-Collins, Berkeley — Natural Heritage Institute outside general counsel, appointed March 2010 by Gov. Schwarzenegger. Roos-Collins resigned in July 2010 before receiving Senate confirmation. Marcus was appointed to the California State Water Resources Control Board in May 2012 by Gov. Brown.
• Susan Tatayon, Rocklin — the Nature Conservancy associate director, California Water Program, Floodplain Management Association board member. Appointed May 2014 by Gov. Brown. Tatayon succeeds Hank Nordhoff, Del Mar — former chairman and CEO of Gen-Probe Inc. Appointed March 2010 by Gov. Schwarzenegger.
• Aja (pronounced “Asia”) Brown, Compton — mayor of Compton. Appointed August 2014 by Assembly Speaker Toni Atkins. Brown succeeds Gloria Gray, Inglewood — West Basin Municipal Water District director. Gray was appointed in February 2010 by Assembly Speaker Karen Bass.