SOUTH LAKE TAHOE — Highway 50 at Echo Summit reopened Saturday, five days before the roadway construction by C. C. Meyers was expected to end.
The road was fully closed since May 11 to replace the old rock wall barrier with a modern barrier that meets current safety standards and preserves the natural beauty. Caltrans crews will remain on-site at Echo Summit for the next four to six weeks as the finishing work is completed.
During that time, motorists are advised of the following:
• One-way, alternating lane controlled traffic is in effect starting noon today, May 23, through noon, May 27.
• Highway 50 will be completely open in both directions over Memorial Day weekend, beginning at noon, May 27, through 11:59 p.m., May 30.
• One-way, alternating lane controlled traffic will be in effect every Monday through Friday at noon for up to six weeks following the re-opening of Echo Summit.
• The road will be open in both directions every weekend.
• Motorists traveling through Echo Summit to South Lake Tahoe can expect up to a 20 minute delay with one-way, alternating lane controlled traffic in effect.
A time-lapse video of the construction can be viewed below: