Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Former Gov. Wilson endorses Stracener for Judge

From page A10 | October 12, 2012 | 7 Comments

Judge Warren “Curt” Stracener’s campaign today announced the endorsement of former California Governor Pete Wilson.

“Judge Curt Stracener is a no-nonsense judge who is tough on crime and cares about victims,” said Wilson. “He deserves your vote.”

Judge Stracener’s expanding list of influential supporters includes the National Rifle Association, National Tax Limitation Committee, California Association of Highway Patrolman, and over 50 Judges throughout California.

Pete Wilson served as the 36th governor of California (1991–1999), the culmination of more than three decades of public service that included eight years as a United States Senator (1983–1991), eleven years as Mayor of San Diego (1971–1982) and four years as a California State Assemblyman (1967–1971). Governor Wilson is a Principal with the Bingham Consulting Group as well as a Distinguished Visiting Fellow of the Herbert Hoover Institution at Stanford University. A United States Marine, he also serves on the Board of Trustees for the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The election will be held Nov. 6.

• Stracener SupporterOctober 12, 2012 - 11:49 am

I'm proud to say that I support him 100% because he is a powerful presence who champions for the welfare of the weakest in our society while strictly enforcing the laws of our upcoming young adults always bearing in mind that once upon a time we were once teenagers not yet possessed of the common sense intellect that comes with maturity. His background as a teacher in both the high school and college level demonstrates his passion to help young people further their lives in a better way through education, respect and encouragement. Now Judge Stracener's life-long ambition of helping our young people has come full circle in his appointment to the Juvenile Dependency and Delinquency law involving child abuse, neglect, juvenile crimes and substance abuse. His intense scrutiny of all the cases that come before him is a testament to his vast knowledge of our complicated legal system but mostly to his desire to help our young as they navigate their way through the rough terrain that is called childhood. He also holds an impressive resume for his time spent as a private sector litigator as well as in the public sector where he was senior litigator and legal advisor with the CA Department of Personnel Administration. I could go on and on about his credentials but I won't, (thank God you say - lol) so I'll end by asking you to consider to help spread the word, and/or your vote so we can keep a good and dedicated man doing good things for our community on the bench and know that if one unfortunate day we find ourselves in front of him, we can be rest assured that justice will be fair and impartial and robed with respect . Your vote matters!

• Jim RiordanOctober 12, 2012 - 12:01 pm

Boy what a surprise, A lifetime, and I do mean LIFETIME bureaucrat endorsing a political appointee . . . It must be because he has appeared before the Supreme Court . . .well at least a cardboard cutout of him appeared before the Supreme Court and . . , What's that?? I heard that. And you are right . . I too could "appear" before the Supreme Court by sending in a letter. So, all the over-the-hill, lifetime Bureaucrats who have always done the best for us . .ahahahaha . . excuse me, want Stracener while our truly well respected sitting Judges and EDCO distinguished attorneys endorse Hoffman. . . . I am going with our judges whom I respect and I am voting for Joe Hoffman. I urge you to join me.

• Paula SpringerOctober 12, 2012 - 1:18 pm

I've seen both judges speak now and heard their thoughts on things. Both seem like very nice, morally good people, YET we are not here to vote on whether they are nice guys or not,-- or how much time they spend coaching soccer, or if they put their signs in the right spot. It's about how they will HANDLE THINGS IN A COURT ROOM and if they will be FAIR. ...Please give "that" some thought. Hoffman doesn't seem to mind throwing the key away on a 16 year old... --said something like "if A 16 year old does an adult crime, he should be tried as an adult." I'm sorry, but IF someone is 16, they are N0T AN ADULT. What Mr. Hoffman shows me is that although some poor 16 year old is not an adult in ANY OTHER INSTANCE, IF they make a stupid 16 year old mistake, does the crime, Hoffman would in all likelyhood "change the rules & legal age" and make them an adult BECAUSE he CAN.....!? We don't charge the 20 year old as a 17 year old to fit a particular situation? Why is Hoffman so in favor of a double standard to suite the judge, courts--OR DA perhaps? Personally I don't even think 21 year olds think like an adult, much less a 16 year old. Do your own little test, look around as you are out in the malls, restaurants, bars, clubs. I volunteer for a Food Bank, I see these young adults come in, they just aren't "Grown ups" by any means just because of what year is on their birth certificate. Why not try to work "with them" instead of just giving up on them and making it easy on the courts. I doubt Mr. Hoffman will look at a big picture, with his harsh strong points of view and that scares me for the next generation too. There are so many extending circumstances; a particular child might be mentally ill, drug addicted, a special ed student with just enough of a disability to alter his judgement, perhaps in the process of finding a perscribed medication or anti depressant by trial and error, they might be a child of abuse; there could be a huge ariety of reasons and I sure wish someone would come to the rescue of some stupid kid that just doesn't "get it" and CLEARLY there would be a MUCH better chance in Stracner's Courtroom of a positive outcome. Hoffman a young man I'd say in his late 30's shared that he gives his own clients advice on how to raise their kids AND BRAGGED ABOUT it. Another pompus statement that has no merit to me; Unless a parent is drug addicted or abusive there is no place for telling someone how to raise their kids--then to BRAG ABOUT IT at a FORUM WHILE TRYING TO GET ELECTED --hmmmmmmm....Sounds very set in his ways for such a young man... Stracner seems to be MORE OF HIS OWN MAN, giving his OWN thoughts, not simply following in the footsteps of our other elected officials. Hoffman lost my vote with the mentality that a 16 year old is an ADULT, BY ANY MEANS!

• DB SmithOctober 12, 2012 - 1:55 pm

Paula, What kind of stupid 16 year old mistakes are you speaking of? The stupid little ones like murder, armed robbery, rape etc.?

• Jim RiordanOctober 12, 2012 - 1:59 pm

Ms. Springer, I did not hear the remark you are referring to. However, Mr. Hoffman would never have gained the support of our local Judges and attorneys if he did not understand and recognize the difference between sentencing a juvenile and sentencing an adult. I think the remark is being taken out of context. Please know that I agree with you that certain Juveniles could use guidance along with compassion. However I have also personally seen some 16 year olds, hardened beyond their years, that indeed do deserve the equivalent JUVENILE sentencing under the law that equates with the punishment that certain adults would receive for similar crimes. I cannot speak for Mr. Hoffman, but he is by all accounts I have spoken with a just and honest man and I am sure he will provide "justice for all", Including our deserving youth otherwise I would not endorse him. I wholeheartedly thank you for your support of our youth that are indeed worth saving as they are the cornerstone on which our future will be built. We still must recognize, though that there are the few "bad apples" that will never be a contribution to society regardless of how many chances they are given.

• Paula SpringerOctober 12, 2012 - 5:56 pm

I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinioin --and to share it. --This is mine and I hope to share it with many. "I FELT" hostility even as Mr. Hoffman spoke about "A Few" issues and am entitled to FEEL what I feel. At the same time I am always open to others thoughts, thanks for sharing. :)

• Ken SteersOctober 13, 2012 - 6:48 pm

Pete Wilson? Arnold? Any one local? Anyone not a train wreck or a disgrace? I must say Stracener supporters, you picked a winner there. Not only do you highlight the who's who of incompetent California Republican bureaucrats of all time. But you point out to (D) voters who's boots he licked along the way. If it wasn't for the fact that his political consultant scum bag Dan Dellinger wrote this press release I'd believe it was an opposition hit piece. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

Greenwood School being restored

By Noel Stack | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Motorcycle fatality in Greenwood

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 41 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 6 Comments | Gallery

My turn: A fair California flat income tax

By Mark Belden | From Page: A4

DA Pierson has been outstanding

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 21 Comments

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3