Friday, April 18, 2014

Gaines duo to speak at Tea Party Patriots of EDH event

From page B1 | February 15, 2013 | 47 Comments

The Tea Party Patriots of El Dorado Hills will host Sen. Ted Gaines and Assemblywoman Beth Gains in a town hall meeting on Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. at the Town Center Holiday Inn Express.

The two will speak on the impending California tax increases and the future of tax legislation in the state.

“The new Legislature is dominated by pro-tax politicians,” a press release from the Tea Party Patriots of El Dorado Hills stated. “The legislative session has just begun and already bills, that undermine the taxpayer protections in Proposition 13, have been introduced. If approved, these bills could cost every property owner thousands of dollars.”

Some of the items on the agenda are:

1. The major threat to Prop. 13 and the likelihood of many new tax laws due to the two-thirds majority in the legislature.
2. The State Responsibility Area (SRA) Fire Prevention Benefit Fee of $150.
3. AB 8, the bill to add $2.8 billion in fees for car owners in California.
4. Gov. Jerry Brown’s assertion that the state budget will be balanced in 2013.

California was recently ranked the 50th worst state in the United States for business for the last seven years, according to Chief Executive Magazine. According to City Journal Magazine, California lost 370,000 jobs paying 25 percent or more of the average wage between 2000 and 2008, the time period before the financial crisis. This compares to a 770,000 increase in the previous eight years. California created no new technology jobs from 2001-2011 while the United States increase was 5.4 percent, according to the US Census Bureau.

All of this adds up to a very unfriendly business environment in California, the release stated.

The Tea Party Patriots of El Dorado Hills is a 501C4, non-partisan, educational organization. It believes that constitutionally limited government, fiscal responsibility and free markets are the values that have served the country well. Its mission is to support elected and aspiring political leaders that share these values.

Patrick Ibarra

• Susie O.February 14, 2013 - 7:48 am

"The Tea Party Patriots of El Dorado Hills is a 501C4, non-partisan, educational organization." That's too funny. Really.

• JayFebruary 15, 2013 - 5:43 pm

Susie...... Give us your wisdom as to why it is funny. Be careful as I will be responding to your answer.

• Dink LaneFebruary 16, 2013 - 2:17 pm

TRUE FACTS: California CREATED 257,600 new "private sector jobs" created between Dec. 2011 and Dec. 2012 and 556,500 new jobs created since the recovery began in February 2010. (From CA EDD)....... PRIVATE SECTOR -- grew by 2.2% (BLS)..... CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY JOBS -- grew by 4.4% (EDD).... HEALTH CARE JOBS -- 27,500 this year (Univ of Pacific Eco Forecasting Ctr)...... THAT'S WHY Gov. Rick Perry was in CA.... We beat them out in Job creation...... Yes, Dear Patrick I read the 770K figure...it was on AEI's website (A Right-wing's think-tank)..... Dam! ... Facts screw up spin every time...

• Dink LaneFebruary 16, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Why is it that the "Gaines" can only find time to "Meet with Tea-Party" groups???...... They don't have anything constructive to say other than "Cut-Taxes"? That's all? No Goals for forward GROWTH to bring our state back before we let REPUBLICAN IDEAS "War-Hawks" and "Corrupt-Mortgage-Brokers" rob us? Both of which were S ....(psss Beth's last name is spelled the same as Ted's)

• Voice of ReasonFebruary 17, 2013 - 12:54 pm

Since when is constitutionally limited government, fiscal responsibility and free markets partisan? It's how this country was founded and created the most prosperous country on the planet. That is, until government started tinkering with it and screwing it up as government's will always do. CA is 50th out of 50 in job creation and business environment. You can tell a lie as often as you want, but the fact is that those who create jobs are leaving CA in droves and those who have an income are leaving in droves, also. You can sit in your basement and claim how wonderful job creation is in CA, but that only reflects how out of touch the Progressives are. I am actually in the finance and business world and see the reality daily. It is scary. It won't be long before just the Takers live here and all the Makers are gone. THEN what will everyone do? Have fun what that happens, because I won't be here either and the Progressives will have no one to blame - but they will! They'll be bashing all the overtaxed taxpayers and ratepayers, wondering "where did everybody go"? We went where we could actually make a living and not be punished for being successful. CA is a communist state as is the federal government. The Constitution was written to prevent the overreach that is occurring. And, who destroyed the housing market that led to our depression? Clinton, Bush, Barney Frank, Frank Dodd, Obama, ACORN and all the liberals who thought it was a great idea to sell houses to people who couldn't afford it. I imagine CAs problems are all the fault of all those GOP, right? - never mind we haven't had GOP in this state for over 50 years. Arnold was a Progressive with an R behind his name. CA is a liberal hell hole. Liberals may say "fine then, just leave!" The problem is the liberals need the hard workers and successful to stay so that someone can pay for their humungous welfare state! Most people would prefer a job and the pride that goes with it, instead of food stamps and an EBT card. What a sad state we are in when freedom and liberty and our US Constitution is considered partisan. Very sad, indeed. And Dink, Governor Perry doesn't need to poach CA. Our lunatics in Sacramento are busy legislating all the producers OUT of CA. They are already leaving, and Texas is where they are going. There is no state income tax and job creation is soaring. I wonder why that is. Where the hell has common sense gone? Your FACTS are insane and against the obvious. Where is the economic sense? Low taxes create growth. I guess we have to sink into the absolute depths of hell before the eyes of our liberal friends open. By then it will surely be too late. If only we could get back to the US Constitution and our state Constitution. That is the only hope we have. May God continue to bless the (not so united) United States of America! Have mercy on our souls!

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 1:40 pm

Voice of Reason: Thank you for your compelling summary. I considered challenging Dink's job numbers, but instead allocated my failing energy reserves elsewhere!

• JayFebruary 17, 2013 - 1:47 pm

Dirk suffers from Confirmation Bias among other things.

• Dink LaneFebruary 17, 2013 - 2:54 pm

Simply saying: CA is 50th in 50 states in job creation.....DOES NOT MAKE IT A FACT.... I could say VOICE OF REASON -- "Was seen outside the Bar last night wearing a ski mask." ..... Just saying something DOES NOT MAKE IT A FACT..... My figures can be found..... http://www.business.ca.gov/WhyCA/CaliforniaEconomybytheNumbers.aspx.... but then you would have to read facts and not follow the TEA-POT Bu!! Sh&! in blind faith.... Think people, think...

• Dink LaneFebruary 17, 2013 - 2:59 pm

OH by the way....if everyone is moving out, why haven't you left?.... Job? Maybe your house is paid for...lower Property taxes than TEXAS?.... Or how about Utility Costs???? Cheaper than NEVADA, INDIANA, and SOUTH CAROLINA..... It's just easier to say "California is horrible, and then go back to your California Job, walk in your California House, and turn on your lights that have the LOWEST cost in the country."

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 3:17 pm

Dink: "Annual Average Price per Kilowatthour by State" HERE - in 2010 California was 41st out of 51 (DC was included).

• JayFebruary 17, 2013 - 3:27 pm

Dirk...we are asking you to think.... I have dealt with people like you in the past. One of the first things that I talk about is Confirmation Bias to them then I also explain Cognitive Dissonance. Once that they understand both of these it is actually easier to explain things where they actually listen.

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 3:42 pm

Dink: HERE one can get US Bureau of Labor Statistics for comparative state job growth rankings. CALIFORNIA: • Trade-transportation-utilities=17 • Total non-farm=17 • Total private=17 • Goods producing=27 • Manufacturing=42 • Information=6 • Construction & manufacturing=6

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 3:59 pm

Top States for Business (2011) - HERE - California ranks 32nd.

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:01 pm

Compare Sales, Income, and Property Taxes By State – US Map 2011 - HERE

• EvelynFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:12 pm

P.S. I'm not saying California "is horrible". But I would venture that California has become exceedingly expensive, government is out of control, and the man/woman on the street is increasingly "regulated".

• Dink LaneFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:28 pm

I love how you imply that California is so terrible.... I was born and raised in this state... I have traveled all over the world... I KNOW California has SAFE food, water, and air.... I wouldn't live in Alabama, Alaska (0 Income Tax, 0 Sales tax), or Louisiana (Sales tax jumping from 4% to 11% so Corporations pay ZERO).... You guys can move there (Texas's air quality Unhealthy for Asthmatics).... I've see this state when the Smog was so brown you couldn't see the sky scrapers in LA.... Or when I flew in Travis 1968... I couldn't see the hills.... California takes care of their people (Even the victims of the rogue cop in LA has victim protection.)... We don't pay Sales-Tax on our food (Alabama)....No you can come up with your #'s (SMUD is still the cheapest in the country --Hydro, not Coal).... Here's a site for you (http://dollarology.net/state-tax/).... look at the overall costs.... Only one state has lower property taxes...

• Dink LaneFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:33 pm

Once again I will ask: What goal, vision, hope or dream do the Gaines have for California besides their "own" pocketbook? ..... Even Tomas Paine had a dream of "Working as a UNITED country."..... I Never hear them say anything about hope and vision to make this country grow....

• DeeFebruary 17, 2013 - 5:12 pm

Dink-First the Gaines are state representatives not federal. They cannot, at this point, change the country. Second, the Tea Party is having a meeting on Wednesday, 7:00 p.m. at the Town Center Holiday Inn Express. Ususally, they have a Q&A session. You should attend and ask your questions. I'm sure he will be happy to answer.

• James E.February 17, 2013 - 6:15 pm

Yes, Dink, I'm sure the Tea Party attendees will be very polite when you ask questions. Suggest you locate the back door before you ask your questions.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 17, 2013 - 6:27 pm

/a/a

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 8:14 am

Longhofer-Your ignorance of the Tea Party is showing again."James E.February 14, 2013 - 1:17 pm Dee, I do have ignorance of the Tea Party and hope it continues. Any group that -- well, enough said. However, Dink's question is a reasonable question to ask a politician and the Tea Party folks want to know the basic goals of all politicians. To think that they would object to Dink's question is just projection on your part. But as Evelyn said, don't waste a good smear.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 9:05 am

"55 Reasons Why California Is The Worst State In America" includes: 1. One survey of business executives has ranked California as the worst state in America to do business for 8 years in a row. 3. According to one recent study, California is the worst-governed state in the entire country. 10. California is the only state in America that taxes carbon emissions. - HERE

• JayFebruary 18, 2013 - 10:38 am

James E. I have been at every EDH Tea Party meeting (minus one) since 2009 and have never seen disrespect to anyone asking a question and there has been some questions from Liberals.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 10:39 am

Something happened this week that brings back haunting memories of the 2001 put options of airline stocks, except this “bet” is against the entire U.S. economy. - HERE

• James E.February 18, 2013 - 10:42 am

Jay, first, were those liberals asking the questions? And, not once did the crowd rise up screaming skin him alive and hide his body in the dumpster out back? Well, I'm impressed at the reported manners of the Tea Party.

• JayFebruary 18, 2013 - 10:57 am

James E......No one is excluded from attending one of the TP Meetings. We welcome all. Many people are not aware that the TP is made up of about 20% Dems and a good percentage of Independents and Libertarians. I have invited many of my Liberal friends to attend and they have all been surprised at what they see and hear compared to what the Liberal News Media wants you to believe about the TP.

• DB SmithFebruary 18, 2013 - 11:58 am

I can understand why Eugene would be impressed by hearing of the reported manners of the Tea Party. All he's heard and watched are the likes of Bill Maher, CNN and MSNBC who constantly spew half truths and lies about many things therefore resulting in his biased opinions and false assumptions.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 12:27 pm

I have a bright idea, one I'm certain James & Dink can endorse. Let's us three go to Wednesday's meeting -- Dee guaranteeing our safety -- and later James, Dink & I can report back on this forum. James will represent the safe middle, Dink the left, and me the TRUTH!!!

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Evelyn-Thanks for the laugh. I have the easiest job.But I worry about Dink's and Longhofer's mental health when they discover how wrong they are about the Tea Party.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 2:46 pm

Since you're guaranteeing our safety -- big relief -- I may come. An all points bulletin has gone out, requesting RSVPs from Dink and James. Their presence is essential for verifying the accuracy of my reportage.

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 2:55 pm

Evelyn-I doubt that they can make it, so they'll just have to accept your unbiased opinion.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:04 pm

Well, in their absence, this is my offer: Dink & James can submit one question apiece for me to ask. I stipulate only that they be a) 30 words or less; and b) serious, such as they honestly would themselves ask if present. Meeting time permitting, I will ask both and report back.

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:07 pm

Evelyn-That's very gracious of you. Makes my job easier.

• James E.February 18, 2013 - 3:26 pm

Dee (what was your last name again?) and Evelyn, My RSVP: I regret I cannot attend. As for a question, I really didn't just fall off a turnip truck where a pre-question would result in a pre-arranged answer. After Custer, no cavalryman rides into an ambush. But, good try.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:29 pm

RE: ". . . this “bet” is against the entire U.S. economy. Perhaps a relation to this -----> LINK - It Begins - Bundesbank To Commence Repatriating Gold From New York Fed

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:39 pm

Col. Longhofer: (What's the big deal about surnames?) We now agree that you are neither a turnip nor a monkey. And the record does show you've dealt with situations much more threatening than a possible Tea Party ambush. Having said that ......... it was only a simple exercise, confirming a realistic expectation. Much easier taking pot shots safely from the sidelines.

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:42 pm

Evelyn- Dink's question is:"Dink LaneFebruary 17, 2013 - 4:33 pm Once again I will ask: What goal, vision, hope or dream do the Gaines have for California besides their "own" pocketbook?" If I asked the question,I would not be as agressive as Dink,but it is a legitament question. Longhofer, on the other hand, seems to think that any one who walks in can be recognized as alib eral and will be harassed. If they don't show there is no test.

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:55 pm

Dee: Basically, it is a good question. But I would leave off the "own pocketbook" bit, only because of its clear hostility. Though generally one now assumes "own pocketbook" issues attached to public office holders and seekers, Dink wouldn't put that to Nancy Pelosi. Throwing it into the question would not encourage the Gaines to speak freely. (even though a legitimate issue. Hard these days to divorce self-aggrandizement from political office.)

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:57 pm

:***legitimate

• EvelynFebruary 18, 2013 - 3:57 pm

darn darn darn. Everything contained in the final ( ) was to have been deleted. I was thinking and editing as I went. The ( ) got incorporated into what went before.

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 4:10 pm

Evelyn- You are absolutly correct.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 18, 2013 - 4:12 pm

LINK - Bundesbank to pull gold from New York and Paris in watershed moment

• DeeFebruary 18, 2013 - 4:13 pm

Think I better quit while I am ahead.**********absolutely

• DeeFebruary 21, 2013 - 11:11 am

Evelyn-I attended the Tea Party last night without any difficulty. When we arrived we greeted with smiles and hand shakes. During the meeting the moderator asked how many people were attending for the first time. About a quarter of the audience raised their hands. The Q&A was informal with people raising their hands or standing and asking their questions. Some of the questions were from the new people but none seemed particularly contentious except "why should we trust the Republicans?". Ray Nutting was there and we had a nice discussion. I believe you were there also but I didn't have an opportunity to say "Hi".

• EvelynFebruary 21, 2013 - 11:40 am

Dee: I arrived about 40 minutes late, having failed to bring along my GPS. (The block numbering in that area merits serious study!!!) I did look for you because I believe I would have recognized you from elsewhere. But I can report that I suffered no assaults or trauma.

• DeeFebruary 21, 2013 - 12:04 pm

Evelyn-We knew where it was only beause we attend the Fanthom Opera Productions and sometimes walk around the area to see if it is becoming more properous. It is not. Maybe next time.

• JayFebruary 21, 2013 - 12:47 pm

I was there. No one can dispute what the Gaines had to say. Beth is calling for an Audit on many of the Gov agencies as they have NO idea where the money is being spent or what their costs are. This is not about being a Dem or a Rep, this is about getting spending under control and exposing fraud and waste. Wake up people.