A fire destroyed a garage and did moderate damage to a house March 10.
The fire was reported at 8 p.m. at 2365 Drake Court in Placerville, El Dorado County Fire Division Chief Tim Cordero said.
Upon arrival, crews found the garage of the residence “well involved.” The fire was contained in about 15 minutes, but crews remained on scene for about two hours “to overhaul the area and check for any further extension into the home. The garage was a total loss and there was moderate damage to the home.”
El Dorado County Fire, Cal Fire, Diamond Springs Fire and Medic 25 responded.
Cordero noted that it is important to keep proper clearance around water heaters and other heating devices and to follow manufacturer recommendations. He noted that smoke detectors can be vital in saving lives and batteries need to be changed when the time changes — last weekend with Daylight Savings Time. Test detectors monthly. In this incident, the occupants had a working smoke detector which alerted them to the fire in the garage.