GDPUD GM moving on

From page A1 | June 26, 2013 | 19 Comments

The Board of Directors of the Foresthill Public Utility District announced they have hired GDPUD General Manager Hank White as their new general manager. The announcement was made at their June 12 board meeting.

White, who starts his new position Aug. 19, will oversee a $1.9 million budget and supervise five full-time employees and one part-time employee.

According to a statement from Foresthill, “Hank comes to our District with 20 years of experience managing small to medium-sized special districts, both private and public. I am confident in his ability to lead our district forward in securing our water rights, managing Sugar Pine Dam, ensuring superior water quality, providing excellent customer service and maintaining fiscal responsibility,” said Foresthill Public Utility District Board President Tamra West.

The terms of White’s contract with Foresthill include a salary of $120,000 a year, use of a district car, $60 a month towards cell phone usage, 20 days per year of administrative leave, 23 days per year of vacation, 11 holidays, 96 hours of sick leave per year, payment of his 8 percent contribution to PERS, 80 percent of his health premium, 80 percent of his vision and life insurance premium, and payment of the premium for his dental insurance.

White was making $150,000 a year at GDPUD plus a benefits package estimated at close to $100,000 which was a sore subject with some residents.

The general manager at the district since 2002, he has been on leave from GDPUD for several months due to what he said was a family emergency. Filling in for him has been Assistant Operations Manager Kelly Shively, who was appointed interim general manager in March.

For more than a year, White has been at odds with certain board members, notably Kathy Otermat and Bonnie McLane, with Otermat regularly attacking White at board meetings. The acrimony, however, intensified once Maria Capraun joined the board, with the three of them forming a voting bloc that consistently challenged White’s authority.

Since White has been on leave, Otermat, McLane and Capraun have acted as the de facto general manager, which has resulted in countless special meetings, delays in decision-making and more staff turnover.

White is the latest casualty of the district’s existing professional staff, with Shively the remaining member.

Members of the board and White were asked to comment on this story but they were either unwilling or unavailable at press time to do so.

Contact Dawn Hodson at 530-344-5071 or dhodson@mtdemocrat.net. Follow @DHodsonMtDemo on Twitter.

• Sam C.- Kelsey CAJune 25, 2013 - 6:01 pm

Once more I question Dawn Hodson's lack of ethical writing and ask anyone who wants to know the whole story to listen to the GDPUD board meeting audio recordings. I've listened to a lot of bad info from many pro-white supporters and the ONLY way I could validate the real story was to listen for myself. Correction Dawn - White's benefits and salary was a huge sore spot for almost ALL residents of the GDPUD water district. $250K for a small water district with 20 employees is ludicrist and total out of whack. If you want to know the real scuttlebutt it's "Good Riddens Hank White!" "Beware Foresthill PUD, suckers!". Why is Dawn white so intent on protecting the good old boys and providing an incredibly biased opinion. Re: The water treatment plant - the state had a compliance order with several options. The Good Old boys tried to build a new Greenwood Lake Treatment plant, did a rate hike for that and where's the plant? They wasted time and money but off course Dawn wants the critique three smart women and praise the whiny loud males who cannot perform their duties as board members by not speaking in raised voices and they are the hostile ones. Listen to the audio yourselves people. Don't take my word. Hank White did not have the skills to run this district, the past board allowed him to waste money, gave him raises with no evaluations and put this water district in a very precarious financial situation. This opens the way for a competent experienced General Manager. Thank Goodness!

• Sam C.- Kelsey CAJune 25, 2013 - 6:03 pm

Good riddens to an overpaid incompetent GM!!!

• Hank WhiteJune 25, 2013 - 6:22 pm

Wait, this hustler, Henry White, goes on sick leave for something apparently urgent, and then uses that paid time to job hunt? This can't be serious! Just another slap in the face as he takes his clown show to the poor folks of Foresthill. When will Norman join him? I sense some nice dinners at Ruth Chris Steakhouse coming up for those two and their families! Enjoy Foresthill! I feel bad for that side, they always get the junkies from Georgetown. Here's one that will run you all dry.

• RaulJune 26, 2013 - 9:18 am

So the three stooges got what they set out to do....enjoy the ride suckers! See ya Hank, you are way to smart to have to deal with Bimbos

• Dink LaneJune 26, 2013 - 9:20 am

Hank White's greatest skill is NOT keeping the Board informed on what he was doing. I hope Foresthill and their ALL NEW board members are ready for that. They've already had enough trouble.

• John S.June 26, 2013 - 10:09 am

Hank should be hanging his head in shame. MORE unethical actions from him. I've seen him running all around town, while he was supposedly not able to work and I assume he was still getting benefits and pay, while he was job hunting. What a scumbag. I may make a lot less than Hank White but at least I'm not lying and screwing my customers to get a paycheck.

• We The PeopleJune 26, 2013 - 10:24 am

Looking at my Chrystal ball, new GM is hired by Gdpud, has a forensic audit completed on the finances while Hank White was in charge (junkets to Washington DC, misuse of public funds, signing contracts over GM's authorized limits) ; the grand jury gets this information and White, former legal counsel Bill White, former ops mgr Steve Gau, former board directors Joanne Shepherd, current director Norm Krizl are indicted. This wasn't their private company, they were messing with a. Government agency. Then we will thank these "bimbos" for cleaning up our water agency. Yes, you may find a handful of people who listen to the lies of these players, especially pillsbury dough boy Norm Krizl, but we the people of the Georgetown Divide spoke with our votes that we wanted directors that would stop the overspending, raises without evaluations, no investment in infrastructure, etc.The recall of director Otermat failed miserably and instead we voted for another fiscal conservative and White saw the writing on the wall. Instead of manning up and resigning, he was on leave. Time for you to MOVE to Foresthill Mr. White. We don't want to see your smarmy face here in Georgetown.

• Karen Machado, Cameron ParkJune 26, 2013 - 10:31 am

Excuse me but is it legal for a GM of a public agency go out and not workforce several months to job hunt? Where's Joe Harn and Vern Pierson when you need them? Now this stinks of a totally unethical and illegal action by GDPUDs GM. I'm not the only one who thinks this should be investigated. Dupes anyone know if it is?

• Mary L.June 26, 2013 - 11:06 am

Dear Raul, If White is so stupid to not report to work for whatever lies he is telling the GDPUD Board, while job hunting, well then I'd say he's a Himbo (female version of Bimbo), not the 3 female directors who have the gall to ask for information (i.e. harrassment? - geez!). The days of the Good old boys is long gone. Some people can't handle the truth - and White couldn't handle reporting to 3 female directors who I happened to vote for based on their looking into excessive salaries and benefits.

• More objective than Dawn HodsonJune 26, 2013 - 1:10 pm

I'd say hank white has some 'splaining to do ! What an idiot! Received an email that provides evidence he was interviewing at Foresthill while he was not able to work. Not cool at all! I hope his latest unethical actions provide insight to his protectors that they have unwisely been protecting a cheat and a liar.

• Daniel T., interested public citizenJune 26, 2013 - 2:34 pm

I am writing this because my brother is too embarrassed to admit he has been backing Mr. White. My brother called me last night to ask me if it was unethical for Mr. White to not work and get paid by GDPUD while he was out looking for work. As a retired CA Disability Investigator, I have 22 years of working on cases of potential fraud, researching testifying. I told my bro there is nothing wrong for Mr. White to look for work while employed by GDPUD BUT he cannot use a medical excuse to fraudulently get paid via sick leave or disability. He MUST have used his vacation pay if his activities . Fortunately GDPUD is a public entity and it can easily be researched by a public records act request to ask for key dates and information without invading Mr. White's HIPPA rights. By what I've read on the Foresthill PUD website and listening to the last 4 regular GDPUD meeting audio files, it appears Mr. White was on extended leave and not working at all at GDPUD while applying and interviewing for the Foresthill PuD GM position. That's when my brother said "i'm pretty sure he told a Rotary friend that he was out sick due to job related stress". I told him it would be highly unethical and fraudulent for Mr White to claim he cannot work at GDPUD for medical reasons to cover activities not related to an illness such as actively pursuing employment especially since it was a position equivalent to the one he was on leave from. Stay tuned.... Mr. White will not be able to dodge this bullet for his actions.

• GDPUD Watch DogJune 26, 2013 - 2:39 pm

Yeah, I'd say if Hank White was "out and about" while on medical leave, that was a bold slap in the face to the citizens of the Georgetown Divide. What is it about these overpaid fat cats who are so egotistical they think they won't be caught? I'd say fines and time in jail might take the smirk off his face!

• Gilbert T. GomezJune 26, 2013 - 2:56 pm

Hey when I looked for a new job, I took a few vacation days. I didn't burden my former employer with sick pay or a long-term medical leave. We all have choices - I believe I know what's right and what's wrong as I believe Mr. White does. I believe he made a bad choice and hope that he is held accountable if he defrauded his employer GDPUD.

• M. ManleyJune 26, 2013 - 3:12 pm

I'm not necessarily a fan of any off the current board members but I admit I have not taken the time to go to meetings or read meeting minutes so I am admittedly uninformed and would rather keep my mouth shut instead of passing on a lot of crap I hear from a few folks. I'm just a regular working stiff, rent my house and am a GDPUD customer and if Mr. White did take medical leave and not work while he was job hunting then I'd agree we are lucky to have him gone and the GDPUD or Grand Jury or whoever the proper authority is, should investigate him for criminal fraud, prosecute and make him pay restitution back to his district and community. Wow this is unbelievable. I guess the more you make the greedier you get.

• Jack PodsedlyJune 26, 2013 - 4:13 pm

You all need to be mad at all of the money wasted at GDPUD by Hank White and past boards. Help the community at the next election to insure that the hard work of the 3 gals is not wasted. We got rid of most of the garbage and have a long road ahead of us to clean things up. Come to a meeting on July 9th and see Norm Krizl and Ray Griffith still support Hank White. It is real sad.

• readerJune 26, 2013 - 3:52 pm

I thought he was on leave for a Family Emergency? That wouldn't be medical.

• Georgetown GalJune 26, 2013 - 6:08 pm

I hate to say this but I heard at a sports activity one of Hank White's sons, when asked in March "Is your family OK, I read your dad is out on Family Emergency Leave"? He replied "yeah, that was wrong, my dad is out on sick leave. He hates going to work". When I heard that my stomach turned, because there I was looking at Hank, happy and healthy and "using" the water district I am a customer of to pay him for sick leave? I have HR duties in my job and I’ve dealt with the misuse of disability before. It’s usually very clear when abuse and fraud is taking place. This is not a gray area that even the staunchest of his supporters should tolerate. Even without knowing he was looking for a new job, I lost all respect for Hank to misuse the District for his personal gain. Just my 2 cents.

• S. Simpson, G.V.June 26, 2013 - 9:27 pm

I can sort of confirm he was on medical leave. My neighbor's son is a GDPUD employee and he told me that at first they were concerned about Hank and his family. Within a couple of weeks though they realized he was claiming stress and refused to go to work but nonetheless was attending sporting functions, and seen through out the community looking very healthy and chipper. Employees have generally been pissed that with the staff shortage their GM chooses to exacerbate that and it seems has been lying to the GDPUD Board that he can't work but at the same time is applying for the same job at Foresthill PUD. Apparently it was common knowledge among GDPUD employees also knew Hank interviewed at Foresthill and he sought the assistance of former Board Director Joanne Shepherd, to chime in on this impropriety by endorsing White at a Foresthill PUD Board meeting. I am very disappointed at this dishonesty and negligence of his duties and worst of all the additional stress he caused to his employees while tying the hands of the Board by not being forthcoming in resigning and allowing them to hire a replace. White thought he could get away with it but there is a solid trail of evidence of his wrongdoing.

• Daniel T., interested public citizenJune 26, 2013 - 4:47 pm

I listened to the board recordings and it was "extended leave" not a family emergency. Dawn Hodson was the source for that incorrect gem. I have also verified that he and his entire family have been seen doing activities in Georgetown and surrounding areas and was told "there was no family emergency".

No quick fix for California’s highways

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment