Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Habla Español y Inglés? Be a poll worker

From page B1 | February 10, 2014 | 35 Comments

Due to changes in current California Election Code requirements by the Secretary of State’s office, El Dorado County now falls within the category of being required to provide Spanish- and Tagalog-speaking poll workers at certain polling places within the county.

The Elections Department has secured the services of enough Tagalog speaking pollworkers in the South Lake Tahoe area but still needs additional English-Spanish-speaking poll workers for the balance of the county on the West Slope.

If you speak Spanish and English fluently, and would like to provide this ability as a poll worker, call Barbara Dockter at the Elections Department at 530-621-7471.

Additional English-speaking poll workers are also still needed for the June 3 primary election and the Nov. 4 general election.

• R.J. CarterFebruary 07, 2014 - 11:45 am

Let me get this straight........Voters here in California are not required to show any identification before casting ballots and now due to changes in the State's current California Election Code, polling places here in EDC are required to provide both Spanish and Tagalog speaking poll workers??.........Hey James, here's your chance, all ya gotta do is brush up on your Rosetta Stone a little, and you can turn El Dorado County "Blue".......

• James E.February 07, 2014 - 2:50 pm

R.J., Spanish is the wave of the future in California and the Nation. This is why Tea/Republicans will slowly cease to exist. Before I went to mail in ballot, I always had to show my ID to vote in Placerville. Has this changed?

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:07 am

James: I've never been asked to show ID, regardless of polling station.

• Paddy O'furnitureFebruary 10, 2014 - 7:33 am

James, of course Spanish is the wave of the future. Liberalism has ensured it. If you could move to a different country and get free housing, food, healthcare, cell phones, etc, why not? But I'll tell you of another coming wave; insolvency. Get it?

• Down with LibsFebruary 10, 2014 - 8:38 am

James E's 2:50 "wave of the future" comment on this thread is proof of his complete lack of concern for our Country.

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 8:47 am

Down with Libs: James' comment reflects what IS. It does not reflect what he thinks about it."Spanish is by far the most spoken non-English language in the U.S. today among people ages 5 and older. It is also one of the fastest-growing, with the number of speakers up 233% since 1980, when there were 11 million Spanish speakers. " - HERE

• Down with LibsFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:07 am

Evelyn, get real, do you think Spanish is becoming the wave of the future in our Nation because kids are taking it in school? Paddy O'furniture got it right, it's about dems selling our Country out for votes and James E. is proud of that?

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:11 am

A statement of FACT POSITION

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:26 am

Interestingly, a sharp spike in the immigration of people from Mexico to the United States began during Republican administrations (Reagan & Bush), which can be seen from the pg. 10 chart HERE (Congressional Research Service: Mexican Migration to the U.S. Policy & Trends, 2012)

• Robert D NollFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:24 am

o

• Robert D NollFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:28 am

are Mexicans coming here for free stuff or to take away American jobs?

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:38 am

Perhaps you would like to do the research on that one, Robert.

• Robert D NollFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:41 am

I have been for decades

• jodyFebruary 10, 2014 - 9:46 am

maybe they come here because mexico provides no future for them and America is that shining beacon on the hill.

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:15 am

"221 Percent Increase In One Year? Why Are So Many People Renouncing American Citizenship?" - HERE

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:00 am

Did your research include the effects of NAFTA, negotiated by GHW Bush and signed into law by Clinton? NAFTA devastated Mexico's rural sector, vastly increasing poverty. HERE

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:04 am

Any competent research would have to consider the consequences of GLOBALIZATION. Such a nice name!

• James E.February 10, 2014 - 9:43 am

Not proud about it (that's your assumption), but the shift in demographics is clear. At the end of 2013, the Hispanic population in California outnumbers whites, and the white majority in the United States will be gone by 2043. Now, obviously some on this site are outraged by these facts and want to strike out and who better to be assaulted than the one who brings up these facts which caused your extreme heartburn. Attack all you want, but the demographic shift has happened in California and it will happen in the United States. By the way, I'm a Caucasian of German heritage, so wouldn't it be better for you to just go out and find a Mexican and beat him up?

• James E.February 10, 2014 - 10:10 am

Evelyn, it's been a number of years because I vote by mail, but maybe I just stepped up the table and offered my ID without them asking. In fact, now that I think about it I have no memory of them asking me for my ID.

• jodyFebruary 10, 2014 - 10:29 am

be careful who you blame.... from Thursday, November 18, 1993 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/trade/stories/tr111893.htm

• EvelynFebruary 10, 2014 - 12:32 pm

Jody: Interesting article. Who do you blame?

• jodyFebruary 10, 2014 - 1:10 pm

I mostly blame the Mexican government. there is no opportunity in mexico. they have an inadequate educational system that produces low skilled workers instead of mathematicians, physicists, etc. Instead of developing their own economy, they are indoctrinated in the belief that opportunity lies north of the border and we are there to welcome them with jobs. I don't blame political parties(nafta) as the responsibility belongs to the individual and their decisions are based on future reelections and financial opportunity. OUR ELECTED officials... I live next door to a vineyard, and am sure the owner would never knowingly allow an illegal to work there. and btw, his field workers know what they are doing, they are not unskilled and no local has the inclination or skills to do the job they do. (If a local did they would want too much money).

• rFebruary 10, 2014 - 11:36 am

Just the facts mam. La Raza, a powerful national lobby, is inculcating Mexican youth with their ‘born mission’ to take back California. I was in Watsonville on a 4th of July not long ago, and driving past every field under cultivation were tractors flying Mexican flags. The 4th of July after that I went to the St. Paul rodeo near Salem Oregon with my son and granddaughter, it was a sea of courteous, agrarian Spanish speaking people with no Mexican flags, a vast difference from the concerted hostility visible in California. California illegal Mexicans have swamped ALL our social services in this state, bankrupting hospitals to schools with little or no intent towards an agricultural function, quite the opposite of Oregon. Still, California’s leadership remains determined to lead only in building upon a democrat controlled voter base, but destined for the abyss of a Detroit future with federal bailouts. What it really is succeeding at is using more and more resources and money from red states to continue feeding a blighted ideological process. When will other states rise up and say NO to California and their federal supported failed policies? Actually there soon will be no need to say NO. California’s dependent relationship with red states is not unlike that of the US’s dependence on China’s bailouts, but China is not excusing our astronomical debt. In fact, we are already ‘pawning’ portions of New Mexico to them in lieu of payment. Yes, we are giving up parts of our once sovereign nation to fund our increasing debt for a future of Marxism. And China is not our friend, as they prepare to dissolve our petrodollar with their new gold back ‘Renminbi’, the BRICS nations will soon operate the world’s economy. Yes, Mexicans may not have to learn English after all, in fact most of the West Coast will perhaps want to learn Mandarin because China’s forced compensation for debts owed, rests with the potential of the west coast of the US. I can see no better benefit to the US than to forfeit the bluest most liberal portions to the Peoples Republic of China, but make no mistake. Our ‘leaders’ will certainly call it some sort of ‘consolidating partnership’ before we learn the truth, it’s just their style.

• lazy honkiesFebruary 10, 2014 - 12:45 pm

Robert As far as I can see most Mexicans do jobs that lily white gringos won't touch. (they might get their hands dirty)

• lazy honkiesFebruary 10, 2014 - 12:48 pm

And r. I think you need to take a deep breath!

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 12:56 pm

Making this an English only state--cost the taxpayers money in the school system--federal money and money because of lawsuits. I remember when it passed...I was in the teaching program. The teacher who would write directions in spanish and english--was by law--no longer to help his students in their language. At one time you could find 27 different languages in the LA school system. In legal issues--a translator has to be given or the persons rights are violated. If I was stuck in another country--I would want someone to speak my language if something were to happen. Politicians want the Mexican vote.. surprisingly many Mexicans are republican--once they "understand" the issues. (Chicano studies) http://www.rethinkingschools.org/special_reports/bilingual/langmn.shtml going down memory lane.

• jodyFebruary 10, 2014 - 1:19 pm

news release was about the need for interpreters..... I want an educated electorate. I don't care what original language they speak. If they know and understand the issues and wish to exercise their right to vote but have language barriers, I want them to have an interpreter.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 1:57 pm

Jody...I agree with you. Aside from legal issues. It is the right thing to do. I have been in a situation where I did not speak the language...it is one of the most isolating feelings... When you want to communicate--and can not.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 2:24 pm

Jody , as part of my degree, while working on my teaching credential was to go down to Mexico with my university to spend a weekend at a high school--we actually stayed with teachers from the school they have very good schools. Many times because of economics--students stop going and just start working. or a family will send boys to school and keep the girls at home to learn how to run a family. One of the things that has lasted in my mind...is when we arrived at the school (public) there was a line of kids outside the classroom. when asked why? It was explained by a student that it was a small public school...in Mexico--the teacher at the time--had the right to throw a student out of class--for good. the young people outside the door--were waiting for their chance at going to school. We do not see that here in the states anymore--the young waiting for the chance to learn. Their government can also be very corupt--more than ours...No se. Those kids were allow to do huge murals on their buildings. Their elections were huge. One girl came in being carried by boys holding her up on a platform...followed by four white horses with music playing all the way up to the microphone where she spoke to the cheering of the crowds.. Schools are very different in Mexico. I came back to the visual and performing arts being taken away from the schools and school libraries being closed. Waiting for the chance to learn..we had that once in our own country.

• R.J. CarterFebruary 10, 2014 - 2:46 pm

"You will remember this battle!...... Each minute!.... Each second!..... Until the day that you die!....... But that is for tomorrow, gentlemen. ....For today, Remember The Alamo!"...........Sam Houston .....

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 3:12 pm

RJ :) What color is your horse? and it can be the mechanical one. "On February 23, 1836, the arrival of General Antonio López de Santa Anna's army outside San Antonio nearly caught them by surprise. Undaunted, the Texans and Tejanos prepared to defend the Alamo together." Tejanos: Texans of Mexican descent. I loved your spirit riding on the wall :) My children are of Mexican descent on their fathers side. My brothers are Mexican on the mothers side. My parents have no mexican in them. although my father is Texan--so maybe...

• R.J. CarterFebruary 10, 2014 - 4:23 pm

Fran.....My last flesh & blood horse was a jet black Spanish mustang that I named Midnight......Midnight loved people but was always really jumpy around loud noises....I Never could break him of that, I guess that's because he was once a wild horse......I remember If a car back-fired or he heard a loud noise how he'd always throw me off, then rush over and nudge me to check to see if I was OK....Damn horse.....My iron horse is bright Gold, custom painted by Hangtown Body Shop, it also throws me off every now-and-then.......No biggie.........

• Fran DuchampFebruary 10, 2014 - 5:17 pm

RJ :) No broken bones I hope...my grandfather's horse threw him twice--broke his leg twice--my grandfather was sure he could make him more gentle...my grandmother made him sell the horse--after she whacked it upside the head for rearing up on me when I was 10. (strawberry Arabian--horse had a mean streak in him.)

• 1036-FrankFebruary 10, 2014 - 6:57 pm

There is a simple reason why there are a lot of people from S. America in this country speaking Spanish and waving flags as laws haven't been enforced since the 1950's Brucero program. With the complete liberal plan to not enforce immigration laws we see the result. The harsh immigration laws of Mexico should be the US law and would be reasonable. Mexico charges to go to school and has no welfare system. Romney had it right when he said if we checked social security numbers and denied employment and welfare, the people here illegally would return home.

• Robert D NollFebruary 11, 2014 - 8:36 am

does there have to be a blame?

Motorcycle fatality in Greenwood

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

By Noel Stack | From Page: A1, 7 Comments

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 62 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 18 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3