Hangtown Haven profile: Ed Johnson — a tragic story of car accidents, infection

DSC_7437e

GUY "ED" JOHNSON sits in the office at Hangtown Haven. Democrat photo by Shelly Thorene

From page A1 | November 01, 2013 | 199 Comments

Hangtown Haven, the city’s legal encampment for the homeless will end its one-year experiment in communal living on Nov. 15 when its Temporary Use Permit expires. The camp has more than 30 residents, and a community council of four residents who run the camp and enforce its regulations for the safety of all and a host of volunteers. In this four-part series, different residents from the camp will be profiled. In their stories, you may see glimpses of your own.

Guy “Ed” Johnson has lived in El Dorado County for 51 of his 56 years. He graduated from El Dorado High School and he currently resides in Hangtown Haven where the Mountain Democrat talked with him on Oct. 23.

He’s a slight man with sad blue eyes, anxious not to make a fuss or bother anyone. He’s been in the Haven since May, the first real piece of luck he’s experienced since 1981.

In 1981, Johnson was a plumber with a wife and two children. While he was at work one day, his wife and children were killed in a car accident. Less than a month later, Johnson himself was in a car accident in Diamond Springs in which he killed another person. Then he was hospitalized with an infection from a mosquito bite that put him in a coma for a week. When he awoke from the coma, he had to relearn how to walk and speak. Some of his memory ability was damaged.

Within a three-month span of time, Johnson had lost his family and himself, but he kept working. “Working was the only thing that kept me alive,” he said.

Over the next few years, his three brothers and his mother died. “I watched my brother be disconnected from life support in 2004,” said Johnson.

Asked if he got any help with the sorrow he’s suffered, Johnson shook his head. “No, I just dealt with it.”

He contracted a MRSA infection and endured five surgeries to save his life. At the camp, Johnson pulled up his shirt to show the scars on his back from the dreaded disease. He has flashbacks from the accidents that still wake him, screaming, in the night.

“I was a cab driver for a long time,” said Johnson, “but then my eyesight started to go and I lost my license to drive.” With the loss of his job, he also lost his home and at 52, he was diagnosed with diabetes — the cause of his failing sight. He takes insulin three times a day.

“I was living on Mosquito Road, taking care of an old lady and I got sick,” said Johnson. “I spent six months in the hospital and then I came here.

“I didn’t want to be here. I didn’t want to be anywhere,” said Johnson. “I was at rock bottom and it took months before I would talk to anyone. I don’t want to let people in because I always lose them, but these people,” he gestured to the camp residents passing by, “and Becky, changed that. I never had a group of people before. I’ve spent my whole life alone.”

When Hangtown Haven closes in November, Johnson doesn’t plan to go to the nomadic shelters. “I don’t want to go to the shelters. I’ve been there before. I’d rather be out in the cold than to be inside and miserable. Going back in the woods is all I can do.”

Johnson’s expectations for his future are low. “I lost all hope years ago. One day at a time is how you have to live. In six months, I’ll be gone,” he said.

He’s planning to toss the things in his tent he can’t carry. “I came here with nothing and I’m going to leave camp that way too. I’ve done it before,” he said.

“I don’t like being helpless,” said Johnson, his blue eyes gazing out at the camp. “You have to fight for everything you get for your whole life. I’m tired of fighting.”

Contact Wendy Schultz at 530 344-5069 or wschultz@mtdemocrat.net. Follow @wschultzMtDemo on Twitter.

• robertdnollOctober 31, 2013 - 2:34 pm

tragic

• Oh BrotherOctober 31, 2013 - 4:45 pm

this county and city suck...how can they ruin something that is positive and unfortunately necessary...yea I'm sure to hear from all you rude people who only want to say negative and mean things...I could name off those that will but have more to do in my life and thankfulness that I am blessed enough not to be in the position Ed and many others are in through no fault of their own...mean people suck....

• swileyOctober 31, 2013 - 7:28 pm

Wonderful article about a tragic life. These stories need to be told. I only hope the right people read them, and by "right people" I mean the people that like to yell out their car window "get a Job !" when they have no idea what life this person has had.

• cookie65November 01, 2013 - 6:31 am

Individuals such as Ed are why we as a society have social programs. We could as a society, provide all the necessities and respectable accommodations for him and all others who find themselves in such circumstances. But instead we are spending billions and billions on generational career welfare and drug addiction for people who vote for a living and the monstrous government agencies that consume most of the money before it ever gets to those who truly need it. He represents what needs to be fixed.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 9:59 am

You are right cookie65, there are programs to help these people. I worked in a social service program, (public guardian), and while many, like Ed, have no family or friends, either by choice or heath problems, they do get money, such as disability, which I am sure Ed would more than qualify for, food stamps, rent subsidies, medical and the list goes on. Plus, if they can't manage alone, they can go to assisted living facilities, which the various programs pay for. What I saw was that most of these people, no matter how bad or sad their situation, don't want to give up any of the money they get for anything other than what ever addiction or unhealthy live styles they prefer to live. They don't want to live in a controlled environment, even though they can't or won't control themselves. Even alcohol and drug addiction are considered a disability and therefore those people are eligible for assistance. Most all of them have some kind of mental issue and should be in a controlled living situation, such as a State hospital. But, the law was passed not to help people that way anymore, due to the cost, henceforth, we have many more homeless. But, we pay for them anyway, and many have chosen to live like animals, because mentally they can't really help themselves.

• The NFL Thanks YouNovember 03, 2013 - 5:02 am

And yet, no outcry over corporate welfare ?

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 10:17 am

There is no such thing as 'career welfare' cookie. Nothing even remotely close. Assuming the worst case scenario of an individual who is solely wishing to game the system, the individual will exhaust that assistance within less than two years and be ineligible for further public assistance. This fact is hardly a 'career'. It is not long-term nor ever will be. Only total to near total disability allows for long- term benefit within the SSI programs available but one must have a medical condition that is verified as wholly disabling and/or terminal in order to meet the eligibility test. Not to mention means tested by assets as well; being that personal assets have been exhausted and the individual is not receiving monies or in-kind support from other sources. Basically D&D: Destitute and Dying. This isn't a career and even if it was there are few in my opinion that would likely strive for entry into the 'profession'. People such as yourself have no clue what they are talking about and zero hard fact to back it up....just a collection of poorly sources and factually inaccurate stereotypes or isolated instances of fraud held up as an example representative of the whole system and stereotypes within that are utilized as sweeping generalizations of the whole. Presented with an attitude of contempt by those who I am convinced are less about highlighting need for reform and all about selfish tantrums about someone getting something that you aren't. I'd respect your opinion if you actually put your money where your proverbial foot is and actually placed yourself in this position of need and live the process before spouting off your inaccuracies and venom. Throw your wallet away, erase any professional contacts from your phone, strap on a painful medical condition and a napsack with everything you own on your back. Then go walk around Placerville with no money, no food and no shower and 'get a job'. THEN come back and reexamine the venom and near total lack of empathy (or reality) that existed before the cookie crumbled and apply same to that current situation. Until such time, you have zero credibility. Zero.

• kNovember 01, 2013 - 10:49 am

You don't have a clue what you are talking about, but I respect your right to say it.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 10:53 am

Lastly, if I were convinced that individuals with mindset similar to your own were capable of playing by a set of strictly defined rules, I would be willing to put my money and mouth into action with a little test of sorts. So strongly are my beliefs held to this issue that I'd be willing to fund 100k in prize money to the individual cookie that immersed him/her self into this 'lifestyle', fully experienced it and subsequently exited the experiment with the same mindset as entered. I doubt you would survive. But it would not be from exposure or hunger or lack of compassion from like-minded brethren, it would be your ego that destroys you before your soul had a chance to admit the wrongs now seen as right. The test in and of itself would likely fail and be a waste of resources as well in that I cannot see where those of your ilk could possibly participate without cheating so as to not admit being wrong. It's too bad because the concept as a wnole is reality-TV that might make a difference in the hearts and minds of the cold and ignorant.

• kNovember 01, 2013 - 11:05 am

Why don't you take that $100k and help those whose life style you so cherish and understand and stop wasting your time with us mere mortals?

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 11:48 am

K1: Feel free to enlighten us with your counterpoint that brings factual data to the argument and proves the factual data provided by myself is incorrect. AND K2: I DO assist. Have for quite some time. That's why my feelings are so passionate to this issue. The reality is understood. And the facts at hand.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 12:28 pm

What makes your data factual, just cause you say so?

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 12:32 pm

All of us who pay taxes do contribute, whether we want to or not! By the way K1 and K2 are Kristy Crowder, the computer just didn't pick it up right.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 12:35 pm

You are funny. People of my mind set are the only ones that can stick to the rules. People of your mind set keep changing the rules so no one but you will know how to play the game.....

• Ed WalshNovember 01, 2013 - 7:12 am

Ed, I was there when you finished the interview with Wendy, you were so emotional-- now I know why. Thanks for sharing your story with the people of Placerville. There are good people, suffering, who live in the Haven. It could happen to any of us!

• JimBoNovember 01, 2013 - 7:58 am

I think it's tragic that the Mayor and her parents who own half of upper Broadway are behind the move to close down this essential and needed Homeless camp to push up their real estate values.

• Foaming at the MouthNovember 01, 2013 - 9:34 am

Seriously JimBo, you don't know what the h3ll you're talking about. The Mayor is a big reason the Haven even exists.

• karl hegenNovember 01, 2013 - 10:44 am

nail on head

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 9:37 am

Foaming, if the Mayor is a big reason the Haven exists, then she will have no problem in voting to extend it until next July.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 9:40 am

Yes, many of these are worn down by life. Those of us more fortunate should remember that except by the grace of God, it could be any one of us.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 9:42 am

Ms. Schultz, excellent article. Brings understanding to those of us not homeless.

• Sad TimesNovember 01, 2013 - 9:43 am

It makes me so sad to see a program that worked and helped so many, closed without a second thought. Shame on you El Dorado County Officials. By the grace of God go you.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 10:04 am

Ms. Crowder, I hereby nominate you as El Dorado County Ms. Compassion for 2013-2014. Cookie is the runnerup, should you become ill and homeless and cannot serve.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 10:30 am

James E. Since you are soooo much more compassionate than some of us, why don't you open up your land to the homeless, and take control of their finances and buy them lots of tents, blankets and food, so you can personally get that warm and fuzzy feeling that you don't seem to get from all of our never ending rising taxes that go to helping these people....... Just don't complain when they rip you off, don't appreciate anything you do for them because they expect it or don't want to live by any rules, other than their own. Sad stories or not, there is already lots of help for the homeless, and many do successfully take advantage of it and actually do get out of their dire situations. And than there are the ones who can't or won't. Have a great day James E.!!!!

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 10:23 am

Ding dong the witches didn't die last night on Halloween, they are here blogging again...really Cookie65 really Kristy Crowder...people on SSI do not qualify for food stamps..you do have a limit on assistance etc...everything Morris said and more...thank you to those who are empathetic...would you negative people go back to blogging about how much you hate the president please and not this article.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 10:38 am

Don't have to, you did it for me. Thanks so much, and remember not to ding dong too much, you could hurt yourself!!!

• Phil VeerkampNovember 01, 2013 - 10:28 am

Morris, you still trolling from Palm Jumeirah? Or are you on your way yet to Isle of Man? I hear that Garon is wintering in Timbuktu.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 11:06 am

Home now Phil. I trust you get the irony here given the differences between home in Jumeriah and this issue. But that aside, an amusing situation awaited my return and unsure how to approach it. Feel the need to post something to the unknown guy or guys who want my wood. Seems my wood is rather attractive. Desired by an unknown admirer that may be quite upset after being foiled in the attempt at grabbing my wood. But I guess a middle-aged divorced guy whose most satisfying current intimate relationship is with his wicked fast car should be happy someone wants his wood. Can't marry the car (yet) so to woody...I say.'call me.' (Lol)

• Phil VeerkampNovember 01, 2013 - 1:57 pm

Yes, Morris, Iron knee noted. Advise you ponder over ancient puzzle, How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck Wood?

• Phil VeerkampNovember 01, 2013 - 2:07 pm

Actually I meant to ask, How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could Chuck would?

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 6:27 pm

Phil, the woodchuck would chuck as much wood as the woodchuck could. Assuming a spherical chuck working with a vaccume: 42 cords.

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 10:36 am

Wow what a lovely employee the County of El Dorado has in Kristy Crowder...where is that article on bullying in the workplace...

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 10:47 am

Never said I ever worked for El Dorado County. And do you just pull whatever the popular "term of the day" to apply to a situation, even if it makes no sense. You really have no idea what you are talking about. And you especially don't get what I am talking about. Have a great day:)!

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 10:39 am

Sure wouldn't want to turn over any needy seniors to APS and the Public Guardian's office with that attitude...she would lecture them on how they messed up their lives and don't deserve anything....

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:00 am

How, the heck did "needy seniors" get into this homeless discussion? Again, you just spout, you have no idea what you are saying. (And, yes there are programs for needy seniors, also.)

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 10:42 am

Ms. Crowder, enough with you BS argument that people take in the homeless. A wonderful talking point, but just that.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:16 am

I didn't say people, I just said you.....

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 10:54 am

@Kristy Crowder - whomever you work for, you don't deserve a job in that position... a call to HR to every county may be warranted.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:12 am

Because I don't agree with you, I should be fired? Will you take care of me when I don't have a job? I think this is still America and I still have the right to my opinion, or do I?s

• Eat your wordsNovember 03, 2013 - 2:12 pm

Because I don't agree with you, I should move? Will you pay for me when I don't have funds to move? I think this is still America and I still have the right to my opinion, or do I?

• PatriceNovember 01, 2013 - 7:01 pm

There are many others working in HR that are just like Kristy Crowder. They primarily take the job due to lack of education and for the benefits, and really can't be blamed for that. It is unfortunate their lack of compassion or caring and it really doesn't make them effective in their job. I have seen it over and over again.....just a job to many.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 9:28 pm

Patrice, maybe us uneducated shouldn't work at all and just let the rest of you educated and sooooo compassionate do gooders take care of us. Seems like that's what you educated types like to do the most. Just makes you feel so darn good and "educated"!

• PatriceNovember 02, 2013 - 11:25 am

There you go, going to the extreme. Us "educated types" are not the cause of YOUR problems. I did recognize your name and have remembered where I have met you. Hence, my statement stands as correct.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 02, 2013 - 1:00 pm

Patrice, you are dingier than oh brother's bell. You have never met me and you don't remember my name. But, I'm sure to you us "uneducated" types all look and sound alike, as all you "educated" types do to me:) This is kinda fun, never thought I could stir up such a pot, you know, being "uneducated" and all.

• cookie65November 01, 2013 - 11:17 am

oh brother, where do you get off threatening people you useless piece of $h!t. You and the full of hatred people who share your insanity are why the system is so broken for those who truly need it.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:31 am

Way to go cookie65!!! oh brother is so dumb, he can't even figure out who he is responding to, let alone what he is talking about. Like your style!

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 11:19 am

will respond later...I have a job to go to and we don't have time to play on the computer...will then list my reasons that someone in your position should be fired...

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:36 am

oh brother, can't wait for your list! I'm sure it's earth shattering!

• JimBoNovember 01, 2013 - 12:28 pm

The Upper Broadway property owners and merchants want the homeless camp gone. They want to drive the homeless out of upper Broadway. They stooped as low as to have had benches removed from the sidewalk and done other things to keep them from congregating there. It's true, ask around.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 12:57 pm

JimBo, If I was an upper Broadway merchant, I would not want homeless people congregating around my business either. Nor, would I want a group of any other sort congregating around my business. I think it's called being a vagrant and is illegal. If I owned a business, I would want shoppers to feel safe and not be hit up for money or "work", which I have been and didn't like it.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 12:55 pm

Ms. Crowder, those darn poor people living at the Haven. Should have saved their money for retirement with their minimum wage jobs. Oh, right, they should have gone to college and become brain surgeons. This a Tea/Republican retort to poor people, as in "I'm a well paid brain surgeon, why aren't you? No, then you deserve to be poor."

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 3:59 pm

James E. you are something else, what a phony elitist you are. I do not have a college education, I have been a single mother, and yes, I did use the welfare system, for the six months it took to better myself.. Not cry in my beer over all of the bad things that have happen to me. I have worked for what I have and more than paid back to the system that helped me, which is what it is designed for. If a person can't live on minimum wage, than get 2 jobs as I and many others have had to do to make it. Not hang out wasting those working hours to beg for money, or cry to a newspaper reporter about all the horrible things that have happened to them, or whatever they think they should have for free. Until you have walked even 1 footstep in any person's life, don't act like you have walked a mile. The programs are out there to help the people who really want or need help.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 1:23 pm

Are we to take your reply as an acceptance of understanding towards the challenge Ms. Crowder? I'll be happy to start the process if we have your commitment to the project. Nov. 15th might be a stretch for a start date and I'm thinking December might skew our results in that this period is subject to some degree of artificial generosity. We can absolutely hit Jan 1. as the start date for your homeless experience. Would like to suggest that prior to start date (and loss of your insurance that a full physical exam is completed with family physician to ensure initial food health in light of the exposure to elements and living conditions) We await your confirmation. Thanks.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 1:25 pm

Correction: 'GOOD health'

• Arthur EdwardsNovember 01, 2013 - 1:56 pm

Ed is currently trying to get Social Security benefits. The process is long and arduous. Ed does not have an addiction issue. As for tax payer money, Hangtown Haven exists entirely on donations. There is no tax payer money used to keep it running. We strive to save the tax payers money by not using Emergency Rooms as doctors offices. Getting the proper resources so as not to over burden an already dangerously stressed health and human services system.

• Mrs. WrightNovember 01, 2013 - 3:38 pm

The Poor will always be among us...why?? So that we are always in a position to decide help or not help...not the Government but YOU. Blessing to you all

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 4:17 pm

That's good. If Ed needs the emergency room, or Medi-cal benefits, as a legal citizen he is entitled to them. The huge waste of money is on illegal aliens we are paying for and of course the many, many scammers of the system that was designed for people like Ed. Not for people standing on corners begging for "gas" money and anything else they can think of to get into people's pockets.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 4:32 pm

Morris, as a 65 year old retired person, who was a single mother, with no money or family, I have already served my time of hardship and misery, but I never would allow myself or my children to be homeless. I worked 2 jobs when I had to and have earned everything I have and am living proof it can be done. And I don't need to prove anything to you and your silliness.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 5:39 pm

No, Ms. Crowder, it doesn't prove much at all. It only provides an example of one part hard work and one part combination of other factors within your ability to control that - when combined with random luck and fair skin - brought you to where you are today. Harder working, younger and far more intelligent individuals than yourself have experienced homelessness. The only proven certainties shown within your postings is that they have been authored by a selfish, hypocritical racist lacking in empathy, compassion and intelligence. In these traits you are quite generous.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 9:44 pm

Morris, I don't know how race got into the conversation, but it's always a good fall back for you "educated types" to be as insulting as possible if you don't agree with someone. You have no idea what my race is and I certainly don't care what yours is but might I suggest that you watch the wood chuck a little more carefully, I think he's hit you in the head too many times chucking all that wood. Perhaps Phil can help protect you from him, if he can get away from his vacuum:)

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 4:24 pm

Ms. Crowder, an elitist -- I'm sure there are others on this site who agree with you. But, in truth, I'm just a humble Democrat (but not a liberal, as Dee rebranded me but I cannot remember what I am now). Perhaps Dee could refresh. Your comment about taking two jobs reminds me of a women telling President Bush that she held three part time jobs. His reply was that it was just wonderful. Poor and bedraggled makes it hard to get even that first part time job.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 4:40 pm

James E, you and those who think like you will be the end of our nation, no matter what name you want to call yourself. Even mother natures knows only the strong survive, and our country is becoming a country of the weakest, eventually we won't have any control of our country from those who want to take it, so you just keep up the hand outs, see how it works out in the long run:) Bye, I'm done with your nonsense for today, you make my head and heart hurt.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 4:48 pm

Ms. Crowder, I don't mind hurting your head, but I am deeply sorry if I have hurt your heart.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 01, 2013 - 8:11 pm

Very clever, Morris. You have nearly solved the puzzle by achieving woodchuck fusion. But your Vacuum corollary was off a tad.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 9:43 pm

How did being educated become part of the discussion?

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 9:56 pm

James E, Ask Patrice, she's the one that brought up education. And one thing I forgot to interject, education has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 10:17 pm

Education has nothing to do with intelligence? Perhaps. Or perhaps not. It is, however, a very good indicator.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 10:52 pm

Morris, No it's not.

• PatriceNovember 02, 2013 - 11:39 am

In a previous post you stated you "would not allow" yourself to become homeless. Your view of the cycle of life seems to be that you are always in control. It is a fact that the educated have better chances for higher paying employment. I do not think you are stupid. Ignorant and stupid are different.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 10:55 pm

Actually Kristy I'm confident in the accuracy of my assessment. Your postings speak loud and clear the following items: 1. You provide plenty of opinion but little to nothing in the way of factual data or metrics to support your statements. Even when challenged to do just that; we get crickets. Dead air. 2, The hypocrisy of someone formerly on welfare who now complains about others receiving public aid is almost as entertaining as Rush Limbaugh squawking about drug addicts. As well, your need to justify that this assistance has somehow been repaid by yourself. By personal check perhaps? No. It hasnt been repaid the simple act of rejoining the workforce means only that contributions have restarted; not some debt repayment to justify the fact and impact of your poor planning and your ignorance on the backs of us taxpayers. Oh.. Does this not sound flattering? It is a statement utilized by folks complaining about those receiving public assistance. Doesn't sound quite so snappy tho when it's mirrored back. 3. The racist portion comes from your complaints about illegal aliens receiving medical attention. It has been my experience that those who complain about this issue while using subtle nuances of verbiage like your own have issues with race. Are you a hate-monger? Unlikely. But racism comes in many forms and one of its most insidious is the 'soft-racist'. These are the folks who won't use certain words but when around others of their ilk have no problem using wet-back or 'those people' or anyone else they care to make scapegoat for their own fears. And ignorance. Remember, I'm from the South and I know all to well the forms of hate speech that is used and I also know for a fact the this country could not have had the success we had during the last boom without the laborers from Mexico. They do the work that we white people will not dirty our hands with. This is not to be confused as any desire by myself to open the border; I believe we need stricter controls in this area. But to the issue at hand, again, your statements speak volumes. 4. On the topic of education; this too rings loud and clear. Further, it is clear that education has not been a priority for yourself. Not does it appear that travel has either. So Kristy, overall, I find you quite transperant, lacking in maturity and rather self-centered. Harsh words I would rather not utilize within any discussion or debate. But in this series of examples and based solely of that which you have provided, an exception is made. Folks such as yourself have earned El Dorado County it's reputation as the 'West Virginia of The West'. Good night.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:55 pm

Morris if your weren't such a sad example of self importance and bent mental examples, you would be funny. The only thing I have against illegals is they are here illegally. When won't your types understand that? They aren't undocumented, they are illegal. Try living in their country illegally and see how many benefits you get from their government. And good night to you sir, from this uneducated, unintelligent, racist, who according to you should not be allowed to share an opinion that differs from you and all the other bleeding hearts out there who seem to all live on the "good ship lolly pop". If you don't like El Dorado County, move.

• Stop Treading on MeNovember 03, 2013 - 2:58 am

And if you don't like America, move. See it works both ways

• Phil VeerkampNovember 02, 2013 - 7:16 pm

Morris, I'd like to tell you about my last dog, Charlie 12 Step. It was the winter of '92 - a weekend. I was on the AA 12 step list and I got a call from the "hot Line" to go meet a guy at the Fair Grounds who had just been released from jail. I met this guy. We talked. He was holding a dirty, frayed 1/4 inch manila rope with a pup tied on the other end. A storm was coming in and I offered to put the man up down in the dairy barn. He'd have a roof over his head, cot, sheets, blankets and my house with bath and "facilities" just a short walk up the hill. He took another pull from the brown paper bag. I asked about the pup. The guy said he spent nearly all his remaining money bailing the pup from the pound. I said something like, "Jeezuschrist man! You're broke, fresh out of jail, homeless. You cant even take care of yourself let alone that poor pup. WTF!" We talked. I told him my story. He told me his. I offered the dairy barn again, but I emphasized that it was several miles from the nearest liquor store and I would not be driving him to a bottle the next day. He thought about the offer as we BSed some more. I offered the barn again. He declined. I started to leave. He stopped me. He said, "I've been thinking about what you said. You said that I couldn't even take care of myself let alone the pup. You're right. Will you take him?" And that's how I got my last dog, Charlie 12 step.

• Oh BrotherNovember 01, 2013 - 11:20 pm

Morris - You said it all and are a very well spoken and intelligent person....most of all you have a heart.

• LisaNovember 01, 2013 - 11:30 pm

Where are the churches? There are only about 30 residents in Hangtown Haven, and I'll bet there are 30 churches in the area. If each church looked after one person, that would do it. Just one person apiece. Or better yet, the 5 biggest churches can take a half dozen apiece. These are manageable numbers. Local churches/temples/mosques/fellowships, etc., should reach out to provide supportive assistance. It is not easy to get disability, and it would require very little of a congregation to improve the HH'S residents' lives.

• pollyNovember 03, 2013 - 7:45 am

Great point! Do you know who volunteers to feed, clothe and offer loving support? Churches. Yep, imagine that! Right here in our little county, people are leaving the comfort of their homes and bringing food and clothes to those in need. No, you won't see that on the headlines, but you would if you got out served too. Currently, several churches take turns allowing their buildings to be used for sleeping in warmth. Open your heart, maybe you can learn something new.

• LpNovember 02, 2013 - 7:49 am

I agree with Lisa.....

• Oh BrotherNovember 02, 2013 - 10:31 am

Remember to always let a grumpy person be heard, then you can laugh....:)

• Dee#1November 02, 2013 - 10:59 am

Summary: 1. Intelligence is intrinsic and an internal force 2. Education is an extrinsic or external force provided by a third party 3. There are many different types of intelligence that are now recognized by psychologists 4. People can be intelligent, but uneducated and vice versa Read more: Difference Between Education and Intelligence | Difference Between | Education vs Intelligence http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-education-and-intelligence/#ixzz2jVpDRlE4

• PatriceNovember 02, 2013 - 11:49 am

Yes, a person can be uneducated and intelligent. Yes, a person can be educated and ignorant.

• PatriceNovember 02, 2013 - 12:03 pm

Morris, you are scaring off the usual ranters! Your mindset as shown is appreciated.

• Charlie BrownNovember 02, 2013 - 12:10 pm

Hey Patrice, maybe you and Morris can move to San Francisco, where both your mindsets will be much more appreciated than in this "West Virginia" mindset that El Dorado County has. Have a great week-end and please don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back for being so self-righteous.

• Charles M SchulzNovember 02, 2013 - 12:32 pm

Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.

• Madagascar PlanNovember 03, 2013 - 2:08 pm

Where shall we go Fuehrer? Poland?

• Charlie BrownNovember 02, 2013 - 12:53 pm

To Mrs. Wright, the government is me, you and every other tax payer. I don't know why so many people think the government is some entity out there that is suppose to take care of everything. The government is the people, it's the people's money and there is plenty of it to take care of the citizens who can't or even won't take care of themselves, just unfortunate that it is run by a bunch of morons who only care about themselves, and think the tax payers are an endless source of income for whatever campaign promise they make to get elected or re-elected? Eventually, there will be more feeding off the system than paying into it. Then what happens? Please note I said citizens, not illegals or every country with a hand out that is willing to pad the politicians pockets. Just my thoughts, do not want a big discussion like Morris and Ms. Crowder.

• James E.November 02, 2013 - 1:03 pm

Ms. Crowder, you will find it is easy to stir the pot on this site. A simple statement, true or false, can cause an explosion of comments that can go on for days at a time. But this is not all bad -- better than bland boring comments.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 02, 2013 - 4:19 pm

James E., Ain't it fun?!!!:)

• Oh BrotherNovember 02, 2013 - 1:19 pm

The grumpy are talking....I am enjoying the laughter that is good for the soul....:)

• Kristy CrowderNovember 02, 2013 - 5:12 pm

obrother, "the grumpy are talking" are you 9 years old or what?

• Oh BrotherNovember 02, 2013 - 5:40 pm

My heart is full of joy and am still enjoying the laughter..

• Kristy CrowderNovember 02, 2013 - 5:56 pm

goody, goody, for you!:) Would not want you to go night, night without laughter in your heart. Sleepy tight!

• PattyNovember 02, 2013 - 6:23 pm

OMG MORRIS single and in El Dorado County! Will you marry me? There are very few of your type around here. I don't care what you look like or care about your car. I want your brain and heart!

• Fran DuchampNovember 02, 2013 - 6:29 pm

Morris has sock puppets as well...he is a great catch. Can I come to the wedding?

• PattyNovember 02, 2013 - 6:36 pm

Kristy and Cookie I think it is time for you both to take a breather, have some tea and have a little spiritual awakening. And don't get me wrong I don't mean some crazy religion that you quote from the bible which was written too long ago for anyone to gather any love and only spouts hate.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 5:09 am

Patty, how obsessed are you with me? At the writing of this there are 91 comments. I am the source of 1 (one) of those comment, the 4th one, other than one tiny statement to oh brother for threatening another poster for having an opinion that differs from theirs and daring to state it. Brain dead leftists are always motivated to silence anyone who exposes their loonacy.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:13 am

Patty, let me assist you with your journey thru the kaleidoscope of enlightenment. I made a comment(cookie65November 01, 2013 - 6:31 am) directed at the system. A system which is broken. A system which has been used and abused for the political gain of leftism. A system which is the driving force for advancing statism. By doing so I launched a firestorm for those who suffer from the mental disease of leftism. They have since spent a couple of days and 50 some comments attempting to undo what ever damage they feel I inflicted on their lie by exposing it to the light. They have thrown out all the usual ad hominems and typical slander that comes from the most intellectually challenged among us. It would appear from my ONE comment that I am not the one on defense and I am not the one who needs to take a breather. What those of you on the left fail to understand is the best way to defeat your ideology is to give you the opportunity to express yourselves free from interruption. Hundreds of people read these threads and don't comment. People who are compassionate and supportive of social programs, people who get up everyday and support themselves and their family, people who don't feed off the system, people who do more than their fair share, people who make this country work, people who have their money confiscated every week to support an ever growing government dependency class. And to see you and all the other self-righteous public trough feeding leftists call them uncompassionate, uncaring, greedy, selfish, and all the other 3rd grade emotionally bankrupt leftists accusations is all that is needed to keep you and your kind in the ever shrinking minority. Sane people can smell your insanity from a mile away. I know your loonatic ideology better than you do which is why I can cause you and all the others to expose it to everyone with minimal effort. I can bring out your arrogance with a simple statement.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:52 am

By the way, those people who get up everyday and provide for themselves and family are the same people patrice calls uneducated. They are the people who patrice depends on for everything in life. Including paying for everything she thinks the government does for her. The people patrice calls educated couldn't pour p*ss out of a boot with the directions printed on the heel.

• PatriceNovember 03, 2013 - 6:44 pm

You get real pissy when it comes to education. Never mind. I remember now.....education bad, bad education.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 7:02 pm

Refresher, Patrice? ~~~ educationed ~~~ (thank you, cookie)

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 7:03 am

• Wher's My Check?November 03, 2013 - 3:25 am

@ Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 3:59 pm Kristy, you stated “I have worked for what I have and more than paid back to the system that helped me”. Really? I would like to know exactly how that was done. Did you send an extra check directly to IRS? How were your benefits calculated? And did this include interest? Us taxpayers would like to know.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 5:33 am

Phil, about your last dog, Charlie 12-step. As you know those who are fortunate enough to find their way into those rooms almost always have some co-dependents and enablers in their immediate circle. Those co-dependents and enablers are always motivated by "compassion" the same way our friends on the left use it as a cover for their adverse reaction to the Truth. Misappropriated compassion always achieves the opposite results. The most difficult thing to overcome is the people who feed the disease. Leftism is all about feeding the disease of poverty. It isn't about finding a cure or elevating people to a point of self-sufficiency. It is literally dependent on making people dependent on government. It is the opposite of compassion. We are all fortunate enough to live in a country where you can live in a house on the beach or the dumpster of your choosing. Thanks to the disease of leftism and its need to feed off the destruction of people we now have more people dependent on government for some sort of handout than we have people supporting the system. To put in 12-step terms, there aren't enough sponsors for the explosion of newbee's.

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 5:38 am

cookie I have glanced at these blogs before and your ramblings and rants have always struck me as someone who is very angry, unhappy, lost all compassion for humanity, and r so narrow minded u have lost sight of the beauty of life. Sorry just trying to help.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:19 am

Patty, do you have anything of substance to contribute? Or just the usual incoherent, foggy accusations? If your ideology is so indefensible why do you still drink its koolaid?

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:38 am

Patty, the beauty of life is FREEDOM and LIBERTY, the antithesis of leftism. Something as simple as choosing for yourself what size soda to buy.

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 5:48 am

And by the way cookie I don't see u commenting when your "braindead" righties have the audacity to tell people who disagree with them to move from El Dorado County.

• PatriceNovember 03, 2013 - 6:49 pm

Or when Morris is around. It takes a vacation from this site.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:32 am

Patty, do you ever examine the results of your compassion? Or just accuse anyone who does of being angry and unhappy? Leftist compassion under obama; double the people on welfare and foodstamps, millions loosing their healthcare, millions having their employment cut to 29 hours. Millions loosing their employment. Millions with mountains of leftist run tuition debt and no jobs. Millions who can't afford the gas to go to work. Trillions in debt stolen from the unborn. The highest percentage in poverty than anytime in this nation's history. Scandal after scandal after scandal from the countries most transparent administration. Lie after lie after lie. Which part of hope and change do you like the most? Intellectual HONESTY is not hate, it isn't anger, it isn't all the nonsense you clowns use as an excuse to avoid reality. It is just seeing reality for what it is and not pretending it doesn't exist.

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 6:39 am

Oh excuse meeeeeee . I didn't know your psycho babble was the only thing of substance.

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 6:50 am

cookie cookie cookie MINORITY? You have definitely been in El Dorado County too long. Obama has been elected twice and I hate to break this to you but I don't see any great tea head coming up for 2016. There is a perfect example of you spinning the truth. There is a great big country out there and I am not the minority honey!

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 7:07 am

Patty, Using the IRS to silence opposition, getting 116% eligible voter turnout, 100% of the vote in places with 85% illiteracy and all the other tactics used by the left is not evidence of a majority. Making people dependent on government is not a recipe for prosperity. Detroit is what happens when your ideology has a majority. http://www.gallup.com/poll/152021/conservatives-remain-largest-ideological-group.aspx

• tragic situation; deplorable comments threadNovember 03, 2013 - 7:11 am

few roses for plucking here

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 7:13 am

cookie I can't even comment on your last one. The hypocricy of your statement is sooooooooooo ignorant. Florida for STARTS!

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 7:14 am

Patty, don't bother wasting your time with crazy kooky, the kool aid she drinks from is laced with something that will keep her blogging for days and hours..and Kooky I'm with Treading on Me's blog...if you don't like it...leave America..

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:03 am

oh brother you are the poster child for the mental disease of leftism. Not only do you threaten people who don't share your bent and twisted confiscation and redistribution solutions to the poverty created by leftism but you also tell free people to leave the country that was founded on the opposite principles you and your ilk and trying to force on the rest of us. You are full of anger, hate, rage and intolerance. Your view of those who pay for everything in this country is to pathetic to even be called ignorant.

• Flipped ItNovember 03, 2013 - 8:56 am

Cookie65, you are the poster child for the mental disease of rightism. Not only do you berade people who don't share your bent and twisted confiscation and redistribution solutions to the poverty created by rightism but you also tell free people to leave the county that was founded on the opposite principles you and your ilk and trying to force on the rest of us. You are full of anger, hate, rage and intolerance. Your view of those who plunder everything in this country is so pathetic to even be called ignorant

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:07 am

flipped, do you possess any original thoughts or just Xerox off someone else? Maybe you can give me one example of anything leftism produces and/or creates?

• Skipped ItNovember 03, 2013 - 9:51 am

Point lost on you again,cook, no surprise. And,Cook, your thoughts are far from original. Nothing I can't get from Tom Sullivan, Rush, Hannity, Armstrong & Ghetty, O' Rielly, Beck or the Koch Brothers (not the nice one).

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:06 am

Skipped, we all know the leftist talking points, your ability to repeat them does not impress anyone as being original. Do you have any original thoughts?

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 7:27 am

tragic I agree I did not mean to let those "with all the knowledge" get me off track. I have never commented before but this story was so sad and tragic that I got caught up in the political crap these heartless people spew. For that I apologize.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 7:47 am

Patty, I suspect you are pre-ALANON. Try a few meetings. There are ALANON groups everywhere.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 7:45 am

Patty, you made a comment to me about remaining silent over people telling others to leave the county, and here is oh braindead telling me to leave the country and you are silent. When the left does to America what they have done to every other piece of terra firma on the planet where will those who seek freedom from oppression go? Is it compassion to trade everyone's freedom and liberty for some government cheese? Maybe if you two need more government than what we are way passed overwhelmed with you could highjack a bathtub and brave 90 miles of open ocean and get yourselves to the utopian paradise of Cuba.

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 8:15 am

Kooky - speaking of threats, use some of your wasted time and read your barrage of posts that contain multiple threats...you are funny and make me laugh which is so healthy..you will be one of the reasons people will vote for anything and anyone the opposite of your rantings..you know, kinda like the Republicans undoing...crazy rantings undid their party..

• Fran DuchampNovember 03, 2013 - 8:17 am

Phil...I thought we were hiding the fact that you have a heart? Some people actually do read...great story.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:21 am

Some basic facts, those pesky things that leftism seeks to undermine with slander and accusations aimed at anyone who recognizes them. Every government gravitates toward tyranny. Every government becomes self aware, Every government gains power thru dependence. Every government expands thru taking away freedom and responsibility from the individual. Government only gets bigger by making the citizen smaller. Everything the government gives you, it can take from you. In order for the government to give you anything it must first take it from someone who earned it. Corruption in government is easier to conceal the bigger government is and is easier to get away with among those who are dependent on government. “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” -- Benjamin Franklin

• Kristy CrowderNovember 03, 2013 - 10:10 am

cookie65, you are my hero! Thanks for being a far better commentator than I am. Keep up the good thoughts, even if it is wasted on closed minded knot heads and mush brains!

• Where's My Check?November 03, 2013 - 12:20 pm

Krispy,I'm still waiting for an answer to a simple question. How did you "more than pay back" the funds you sucked off the taxpayers teet?

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 8:23 am

But Fran, many would say that walking away from that homeless fresh-out-of-jail drunk when a storm was coming in was "heartless".

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:24 am

oh brother, you show me where I have threatened anyone at anytime. If BS were rocket fuel you could be the first on Mars.

• Fran DuchampNovember 03, 2013 - 8:27 am

"Diabetes is not only taking his eyesight, it is taking one of his legs as well. “I can’t stand for any length of time or walk more than 50 feet, so I can’t work anymore,” said Johnson. “They don’t know why it’s happening, but I know. My nerves in that leg are burned out.”" He has neuropathy. His is from diabetes...mine is from trauma. I know this is hard...if a stand too long--my right side does odd things...and its spreading. For this man, it must be really hard--I can go home and rest. Neuropathy hurts...And it spreads. I have it in my arms and legs....and yes--it can take your sight.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:30 am

• Fran DuchampNovember 03, 2013 - 8:34 am

Phil when I was young a great friend of mine kept talking about taking his life. I helped him get help--after weeks--he was still talking about it. I finally found a piece of glass--told him that i loved him and that he would be missed...and gave him the glass to cut his wrist. I walked away--I was 16. He did not take his life--he found me the next day--called me names...but said I saved his live by my actions. Who knows how that man fared. It was not your call. But the dog...he listened to you. I was something you could control as being a "caring" person. Sorry...you did the right thing. You showed kindness.

• PattyNovember 03, 2013 - 8:35 am

Funny Phil I started Al Anon in August. I definitely need it! But I still can apologize and have my feelings. I'm pretty sure they are valid. I don't think you know me well enough to tell me what I need or don't need.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:54 am

Patty, do you have any clue how Phil saw thru you? It isn't any different than how most people see thru the lies of leftism. For those who recognize it, it is a gigantic red arrow hanging over your head.

• well wisherNovember 03, 2013 - 9:05 am

Patty, you're right ........... people here should save their cheap advice. All the best.

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 8:54 am

Wow Phil :( Hangtown Haven does not allow drugs or alcohol nor allow people in that are under the influence of either.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:59 am

oh brother, obozocare doesn't allow people to keep their healthcare unless obama and the left approve of it. Which of obama's lies do you prefer?

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 9:21 am

Oh Brother, does Hangtown Haven have AA, NA meetings?

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:14 am

flipped, speaking of berating people who don't agree with your ideology, I am sure you are familiar of all the terms the left uses to describe those who oppose them. They have been using them for decades. They have an entire dictionary full of them. Should I cite some examples for you? I know it gives you grief to see the same tactic used by those of us who have been the intended target of the lefts name calling for decades. Don't blame me for the failures of leftism. History gives you all the evidence you need, too bad you have no use for history.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 9:18 am

Patty, GOOD ON YOU! ALANON saved my life. "She" simplified my life by leaving me with me. It takes what it takes.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:20 am

How does it feel for all you on the left when the leftist, cheerleading, lapdog, kneepad media can no longer cover for the fraud-in-chief's lies? http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_OVERHAUL_YOURE_CANCELED?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-02-09-44-38

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 9:33 am

kooky - why don't you give us examples of what rightism has created/and or produces...hopefully you have a lot to share and that can keep you busy for a long time...put your blogging where your mouth is...show us how much better the other side is.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:43 am

oh brother, capitalism creates everything you take for granted, including the wealth the left confiscates to fund itself and the welfare state it seeks to create. Your toilet paper, coffee, the car you drive, the gas you put in it, the groceries and the store that sells them, the lumber to build your house, the concrete and asphalt to pave your driveway, the planes in the air and the tsa to check between your cheeks is paid for by capitalism. Where does government get every last dime? Your ignorance is beyond my comprehension. Ok I gave you some examples so now you offer me one single thing leftism produces and/or creates.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:44 am

oh brother, I am still waiting for you to give me a single example of where I have ever threatened anyone.

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 9:34 am

@Phil - not all homeless folks are addicts or recovering addicts.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 9:45 am

True. But addiction is the OVERWHELMING driver.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:56 am

oh brother, Phil made no such assertion. He simple asked a question. One of the things about a 12-step program is it causes people to look inward with naked honesty that makes them accountable of things in life that ARE within their control. Their are many destructive behaviors that have nothing to do with substance abuse or addictions.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:36 am

Leftists entitlement state dream is crumbling. http://www.cnbc.com/id/101164217

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 9:51 am

Kooky - do your own research...hint directed at Patrice...now give me names of the politicians you have endorsed past and present and what they have done to create/produce...besides you...

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:03 am

oh brother, let's be honest, what did hope and change mean to you?

• James E.November 03, 2013 - 9:57 am

Armstrong & Getty. When their station was liberal, they were big liberals. The day the station went conservative, they became conservatives. Guess you gotta do what you gotta do for your paycheck.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:01 am

So you cannot cite for me a single example of anything leftism produces and/or creates.

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 10:03 am

You, Kooky, are avoiding the challenge presented to you...come on now, a list of all your favorite politicians and what they have done to produce/create....

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:09 am

I have asked you a simple question repeatedly. Is there a reason you can't/won't respond and choose to change the subject?

• Dee#1November 03, 2013 - 10:15 am

Cookie, does it seem to you the Leftist are becoming unhinged? Do you think the constant lying and incompetence of the Administration has anything to do with it?

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 10:21 am

Back at you Kooky - you can't and won't...come on just one politician or policy that you think has been so great....it's a standoff because you won't...all you do is quote garbage from TV and news articles...

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:42 am

oh brother it is a simple question. Just one thing.

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:49 am

oh brother, just how ignorant are you. Is there a devise that can measure such a negative number? An anti-leftist, limited government maximum liberty individual doesn't look to government or politicians or legislation for a fix to anything, in fact just the opposite. I realize how much of a foreign concept that must be for someone of your limitations but it is possible to survive without 600 federal government agencies. Now please share with us your enlightenment and give us a single example of anything leftism creates and/or produces.

• Oh BrotherNovember 04, 2013 - 7:54 am

Here is my answer to you Kooky; Kristy Crowder received welfare when she was a young single mom (government support) she then was enrolled in the CETA program (government training/job placement ran by the government) she then worked in the Public Guardians office (County/government controlled) until her retirement…is your new friend a leftist? Did she benefit from being a leftist and were the leftist programs a good thing for her? Seems she was in your words “dependent” upon the government. Did she take what I earned via the government? .Hangtown Haven is supported by donations...donate, volunteer or both..

• cookie65November 03, 2013 - 10:35 am

Dee #1, without question they are becoming more and more unhinged by the day. They are angrier today than the day they were dancing in the street with the proclamation of "WE DID IT!" They have seen the failures of hope and change and are running out of others to blame. They have destroyed the economy, jobs, healthcare, respect for the country, education, prosperity, personal responsibility, and virtually everything this country was founded on. They will become even more angry and enraged over the next 3 years as their utopian fantasy collapses before their very eyes. They will, in no way take any responsibility for it. The ugliness that is leftism will be on full display for all to see, their primary emotion of hate will get more difficult for them to conceal with empty words like tolerance and compassion. The division they create will come back to bite them. When free citizens no longer allow the tyrannical left to assign them to some group is when the implosion begins, it is already happening. obama has virtually destroyed the community that voted for him in the 95% range and it may cost the left a devoted leftist plantation population. A free cell phone will only buy you so many votes. Even the most ignorant people want freedom. Which explains just how ignorant some of the posters here truly are.

• Midnight12November 03, 2013 - 1:26 pm

Unhinged? Ya mean like Paul Anthony Ciancia?

• Get Your Facts StraightNovember 03, 2013 - 1:32 pm

I got my free phone (landline) under the Bush admin, dumb@ss

• mush brainNovember 03, 2013 - 10:38 am

Kristy Crowder, you sell yourself short. Your power of persuasion nearly equals cookie's.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 03, 2013 - 11:53 am

Mush Brain, I considered that a true compliment. Thank you very much!

• Where's My Check?November 03, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Krispy, I'm still waiting for an answer to a simple question. How did you "more than pay back" the funds you sucked off the taxpayers teet? Since you will not answer, I will assume it is an untruth and just as factual as the rest of the garbage you spew.

• Kristy CrowderNovember 03, 2013 - 7:00 pm

Hey "where's my check" My name is not Krispy, and I forgot to mention because it was 30 years ago, those 6 months I was in a CETA work program, actually learning job skills, and yes it was government funded, but I was working 8 hours and day and learning a skill that helped me earn a living for the next 25 years in a good job. Total work time in my 65 years was 35 years, but I also was a Mom, housewife, 4-H leader, taught riding lessons to the handicapped and disadvantage and once in a while got to take a vacation in our beautiful county with my wonderful husband and children. So go collect YOUR check and leave me alone.

• Dee#1November 03, 2013 - 10:42 am

Cookie, beautifully said. Now watch the hate and name calling start.

• Reap what you sowNovember 03, 2013 - 2:57 pm

Ya mean like; Kristy CrowderNovember 02, 2013 - 1:00 pm Patrice, you are dingier than oh brother's bell. cookie65November 01, 2013 - 11:17 am oh brother, where do you get off threatening people you useless piece of $h!t. Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:31 am Way to go cookie65!!! oh brother is so dumb, Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 9:44 pm I think he's hit you in the head too many times chucking all that wood. Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:55 pm Morris if your weren't such a sad example of self importance and bent mental examples, you would be funny. Kristy CrowderNovember 01, 2013 - 11:55 pm Morris if your weren't such a sad example of self importance and bent mental examples, you would be funny. cookie65November 03, 2013 - 5:09 am Brain dead leftists are always motivated to silence anyone who exposes their loonacy cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:13 am I launched a firestorm for those who suffer from the mental disease of leftism. cookie65November 03, 2013 - 6:52 am The people patrice calls educated couldn't pour p*ss out of a boot with the directions printed on the heel. cookie65November 03, 2013 - 9:20 am How does it feel for all you on the left when the leftist, cheerleading, lapdog, kneepad media can no longer cover for the fraud-in-chief's lies? cookie65November 03, 2013 - 8:03 am oh brother you are the poster child for the mental disease of leftism

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 10:47 am

Nope Kooky, every blog site you are on you ask people for examples, now, we the people, want YOUR examples...I don't believe you can produce any...

• Oh BrotherNovember 03, 2013 - 10:53 am

The best thing to do with people like you is to pat you on the head and say "you are right honey, now be a good girl and relax"...this article turned out just as I predicted it would in my first response...carry on Kooky et al.

• PatriceNovember 03, 2013 - 7:03 pm

If you do not respond, who will these folks rant with?....just sayin.

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 11:06 am

cookie and Phil u 2 need 2 go back 2 the EID letter written by Sue Taylor aka cookie and fight. u will get more done on that one1

• doughboyNovember 03, 2013 - 11:35 am

muffin, you're cracked

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 11:26 am

whoops did I say something I should not have? I thought everyone knew!

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 11:30 am

You owe Sue an apology. OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! ^!!^

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 11:47 am

Sue would rather be "defamed" by being identified as Ronald Reagan than cookie. You have severely "defamed" Sue. Cookie can take the "insult".

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 11:54 am

I'm confused Phil. Why is it that I owe Sue an apology? We all know they are one in the same. And Sue aint no Ronald Reagan!

• Phil VeerkampNovember 03, 2013 - 12:01 pm

Stop here," I'm confused Phil."

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:37 pm

where did i put ken steers?

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:37 pm

Let me give you all a little tip. When you tire of Cookie Monsters name calling, misinformed clips, and all the other lies and hypocricy she blows out her ? Mention Sue Taylor. Cookie runs for the hills!

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:40 pm

damn, i can't keep my stories straight

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:44 pm

I did not write the nov 3 12;37 pm. I don't even know who ken steers is...........

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:47 pm

i also didn't write it. But then again, i ain't no nancy reagan. Sometimes I just get confused.

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:47 pm

I also did not write nov 3 12;40 Cookie is that u? If it is u r crazier than I thought!

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:48 pm

There's a phony muffin imitating me.

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Now what was it I was saying? Oh, yes, about Ronald Reagan ...........................

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 12:55 pm

Actually I just got out of bed and am shocked to find someone playing like me 'cause I didn't write anything up there. Or did I just have too much to drink last night. Back to bed.

• doughboyNovember 03, 2013 - 2:05 pm

Last year, a guy went to a doctor because he was losing weight. He found out he had a tapeworm, and was instructed by the doctor to bring a muffin, a Twinkie and a cookie with him on his next visit. When he was being examined the doctor shoved the muffin, the Twinkie, and finally the cookie up the guy's a$$. The patient protested, but the doctor calmed him down, saying it was part of the therapy. This treatment continued for several weeks and every time the doctor shoved a muffin, a Twinkie and a cookie up his a$$. Finally, after many visits, the Doctor instructed the patient to bring a cookie, a Twinkie and a mallet for the next visit. The day arrived and this time the doctor shoved only the cookie and the Twinkie up the patient's a$$. After a few minutes the tapeworm appeared out of his a$$hole and demanded, "Where's my muffin!?" WHAM!!!

• WOWNovember 03, 2013 - 2:21 pm

And we are the unhinged?

• who's ready for a 5150?November 03, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Cookie, is doughboy your offspring?

• Justice InsiderNovember 03, 2013 - 2:48 pm

5150 ............ not many around these parts who are up on what you're talking about .............. explain about 5150s

• Doughbrain =5150November 03, 2013 - 3:08 pm

No Google? Wokipedia: Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes him or her a danger to self, a danger to others, and/or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration. When used as a term, 5150 (pronounced "fifty-one-fifty") can informally refer to the person being confined or to the declaration itself, or colloquially as a verb) as in 'Someone was 5150ed'. Urban: police code for crazy one on the loose. Danger to property, danger to others, and danger to themselves...

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 3:13 pm

Just got up from my afternoon snooze and find so much enlightening. But the best part is nobody was playing like they was me.

• muffinNovember 03, 2013 - 3:15 pm

I'd a gone to Wokopedia if you'd a told me about it. Tks for explaining.

• Midnight12November 03, 2013 - 3:49 pm

Dam Doughboy! Another persons typos are the least of your worries!

• doughboyNovember 03, 2013 - 3:57 pm

now you're mixin me up with doughbrain which 5150 already explained by going to wokopedia. wokopedia is a real keeper 'cause it even has doughboy but there are 2 kinds, the pillsburie kind and the military kind .............. take your pik. And another thing, didn't you think that tapeworm story was another keepr. I lafed until my sides split.

• Phil VeerkampNovember 04, 2013 - 8:12 am

Morris where are you? I left you a reminiscence up-thread at November 02, 2013 - 7:16 pm You back in Dubai's Palm Jumeirah?

• MorrisNovember 05, 2013 - 1:39 pm

Third frond from the top; far right. (Now that's irony!) At the end...see me waving? Guess some catching up is in order....didn't know there was a 'club'. (Fan or otherwise blunt object)

• Phil VeerkampNovember 05, 2013 - 1:44 pm

Morris, the gurlz hearts are a-flutter. You are quite the "item".

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A2, 1 Comment