Hangtown Haven seeks extension

From page A1 | November 01, 2013 | 23 Comments

On Oct. 30, the city of Placerville received a new request from Hangtown Haven Inc. for a renewed extension of the Temporary Use Permit that allows a legal encampment for the homeless to exist on Broadway. The current TUP is set to expire on Nov. 15 and the camp is scheduled to close at that time.

“The new requested extension is through July 1, 2014,” said City Manager Cleve Morris. “We are reviewing the request and it will go before the City Council on Nov. 12.”

City staff will present the results of their review, including concerns and pertinent information to the City Council at that time, said Morris. “Then it will be up to the council to make a decision about this,” he said.

• All for pass.November 01, 2013 - 8:05 am

I hope the City Council makes a smart choice and ok's this with a pass. We want to see supervised and controlled programs, well I would say this is one of them.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 8:40 am

The job description of the City's volunteer homeless coordinator (approved 4/10/12) - HERE - includes: "Assist Council in creation of a ten-year plan to end homelessness . . . ". A progress report at the 11/10/13 City Council meeting would be useful.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 8:45 am

It makes no sense to close the Haven down just as it starts being cold and rainy (plus some snow). Any chance the Mayor will put public compassion ahead of increased property values?

• Fran DuchampNovember 01, 2013 - 8:57 am

James..are we talking about the same mayor that yelled at a person for shaking their head at the council meeting? (It was not their turn to talk...lolol) Definition of a " prima donna": a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance. And there are many in El dorado...who will you vote for when they all run for queen. " Off with their heads!" said the queen of hearts...contestants ...Harper, Maryann, The mayor--you fill in the rest. And who will be king? People cant move without a plan for a plan--that looked at a plan...to stall....a plan. lolololol

• Fran DuchampNovember 01, 2013 - 8:59 am

Maybe the thrones can be placed in the middle of the roundabout--then the royals can wave to all from their chairs while sipping on wine...because wine doest get one drunk. My heart to the people who need help...now more than ever.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 9:01 am

Fran: You are soooooo right: "People cant move without a plan for a plan--that looked at a plan...to stall....a plan."

• Foaming at the MouthNovember 01, 2013 - 9:39 am

Fran and Evelyn for Internet Queen! Laugh out loud out loud out loud out loud etc. it's so easy to jeer from the sidelines - I should know!

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 11:49 am

Anticipating imminent crowning, must dash --- searching for suitable head gear. PREFERRED: The Murat Tiara -- A Rare and Impressive Pearl and Diamond Jewel - HERE. Auctioned last year by Sotheby's for a cool US$3,864,318, I'm now seeking donations. No Form 460s will be filed.

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 12:12 pm

Fran and Evelyn are just sugarboogers; sweet gems whose opinions I look forward to reading. And while Evelyn and myself are occasionally on different ends of a topic, those viewpoints are always expressed with CLASS. Fran...Sockpuppet says 'howdy!' and a few lololoooo's.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 12:17 pm

Morris: I don't know what a sugarbooger is, but thank you!!!

• MorrisNovember 01, 2013 - 12:37 pm

It's tough when one looks like Brad Pitt but sounds like Gomer Pyle. (Ok, perhaps the Gomer Pyle part is a stretch) Sugarbooger: (adj.) Outer Banks English term utilized by 'down east' North Carolinians to describe an individual of pleasant disposition, attitude and actions. Graceful and kind. Of joy and more often half-full outlook. Utilized in a sentence: ...'Y'all should stop worrying bout what's up under those batters come round last posting because Evelyn and Fran are just sugarboogers and it just ain't no count come tent meeting anyway.' (As voiced by Morris Pyle-Morris; Kinnakeet Shores / Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina)

• Fran DuchampNovember 01, 2013 - 2:08 pm

Foaming--if I wanted to be a high ranking person--I would be. But I dont like to "dress up"--I think its boring. And the tierra--well-- I was always kind of a "tomboy"--a baseball cap would work. I have no desire to be anything but "me." And laughter--if you know me--I laugh all the time. If you dont know me...dont know what to tell you (shrugging shoulders.) My halo is held on top my head by my horns--something to remember (evil grin.) Hey Morris--sock puppets (waving hello.)

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 12:06 pm

Evelyn, I have a prediction. Hailey got her dog, but you will not get a pearl and diamond tiara. I'm feeling your pain.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 12:13 pm

James: Did you look at the video? That tiara is truly magnificent. My only problem is that I lack anything suitable to wear with it. Am considering setting up a 501(c)(3) non-profit to receive donations.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 12:16 pm

Evelyn, I did look at it. Some big pearls and lots of diamonds. Go ahead and set up your non-profit. Hailey got her dog within 24 hours, you will have to probably wait longer.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 12:21 pm

Is that the BEST you can do? -- "some big pearls & lots of diamonds". You'll never get work at Sotheby's.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 12:21 pm

Another shooting at the LA airport. Dead and wounded. Think they got the shooter alive.

• James E.November 01, 2013 - 12:26 pm

Evelyn, I never wear tiaras, so give me some slack.

• EvelynNovember 01, 2013 - 3:57 pm

At the Oct. 8th City Council meeting Mayor Thomas twice stated that Hangtown Haven's Temporary Use Permit would not be renewed. Presumably the Nov. 12th meeting will see some lively discussion.

• Bill E.November 02, 2013 - 7:23 am

The city is the one that started this program, so it is their's to keep. Extend the permit for the location and amend the program, as needed. Trying to unload this on the county was an act of desperation and never had a chance....

• Phil VeerkampNovember 02, 2013 - 7:32 am

Cuz, you speak as though Perk's is dead.

• LorraineNovember 03, 2013 - 3:19 pm

Prayers for an extension. Compassion - please people!

• DianaNovember 04, 2013 - 3:30 pm

I for one am glad to see it close. It has caused nothing but problems where I live. The homeless have been breaking into our homes, sleeping in our yards and going through our trash to name just a few of the problems. They were full aware of the camp closing. I want my neighborhood back.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment