Friday, April 18, 2014

Harn, Pierson respond to Nutting’s allegations

From page A1 | June 28, 2013 | 24 Comments

El Dorado County Auditor-Controller Joe Harn and District Attorney Vern Pierson have responded to requests from the Mountain Democrat for comments regarding District 2 Supervisor Ray Nutting’s statements that their charges and allegations against him are “politically motivated.”

In a phone call last week, Harn recited a list of occasions when he supported Nutting’s several campaigns for county supervisor. He said he hosted campaign fundraisers, helped Nutting put up campaign signs and contributed money to his candidacies for many years. He also forwarded a copy of a thank you note he received from Nutting after an election event last year.

“Joe, Thanks for coming to my event. Sincerely, you work hard and care about OUR county. Ray.”

Harn also offered to go to the county’s Elections Department and obtain records that show he has been a regular financial contributor to Nutting’s political campaigns.

“Ray’s statement that I am politically motivated to personally and financially harm him is wrong and without any factual basis,” Harn wrote. “I have supported most of his political campaigns financially for the last two decades. I helped Ray put up campaign signs for his reelection in Cameron Park in 2012.”

Harn’s email continues with a brief history of his analysis of  some of  the documents Nutting submitted to the Sierra Coordinated Resource Management Council in Auburn that were required for Proposition 40 Forest Improvement Grants. He noted that a member of the media approached him four months ago requesting that he look into the documents.

“I was shocked at what I reviewed. Ray Nutting submitted bogus documents that were obviously in error to obtain grant money, taxpayers’ money. I have consistently said the same thing to the media. Even Ray’s attorney has acknowledged in the media that Ray has made a number of ‘paper work errors,’” Harn wrote.

Harn called Nutting’s assertions that criminal charges against him are politically motivated, “ludicrous” and added, “Ray has been indicted by a criminal grand jury on felony charges.”

“Vern Pierson and the California attorney general believe that there is adequate evidence to try Ray before a jury for these felony counts. Ray has no one to blame for the situation that he is in but himself.”

Harn said that over his years as county Auditor-Controller, he has been a “focus of anger” from individuals who he said were “inappropriately getting taxpayers’ money.” When he has brought that to the public’s attention, “people get angry and call you names. It just comes with being district attorney and county auditor-controller,” he wrote.

District Attorney Vern Pierson wrote more succinctly but in a similar vein.

“Thank you for the opportunity to respond to Supervisor Nutting,” Pierson said. “My reponse would be as follows: For more than 22 years I have held criminals accountable for their actions. I have found that rarely do they like it.  Often times, they attack the people charged with this responsibility. In the end, they are held to account.  Sometimes it is with a verdict from a jury and others the product of a long look in the mirror.”

• TimJune 28, 2013 - 1:32 am

Well said Vern. Hold Ray accountable and make him an example to other people looking to take advantage of the tax payers of this fine county.

• sunshineJune 28, 2013 - 5:22 am

Harn has always been involved in influence peddling. He supported and worked on campaigns for Mark Nielson, Helen Bauman, BFF- Rusty Dupray, John Knight, Cherie Raffety, Jeff Neves, Hal Barker, BFF- John McGinnis, Thurkelsin, Bill Schultz, Vern Pierson and the list goes on and on. When does Harn have time to do his job? Harn is paid more than the Secretary of State of the United States. He is a partner in a CPA firm Dolan and Harn with an office in Walnut Creek. He audits HUD housing in other counties, on county time. Could these jobs be gotten because he is auditor of EDC? He has not disclosed this income or this business on his 700 forms at the Election Dept. Harn has had sexual harassment charges filed against him with the county. He has used an elected friend's office to employ his girl friend to hide her from his wife, when he was married. This girlfriend is the highest paid person in his office as a senior auditor. Harn lobbies for Angelo Tsakapalos and friends before the Board of Supervisors, not as a citizen, but in testimony identifies himself as "Auditor/Controller " for the official record . Harn has held his office too long. He feels he owns the county and it's residents and that he is exempt from morality and ethics. Its time for him to go.

• Some QuestionsJune 28, 2013 - 6:19 pm

"Harn lobbies for Angelo Tsakapalos and friends before the Board of Supervisors, not as a citizen, but in testimony identifies himself as 'Auditor/Controller ' for the official record," you wrote. For verification, some details would help. Could you post the dates when you report that this testimony was given? Do you have a link to the listing for the auditing firm you said that he has?

• George WashingtonJune 30, 2013 - 6:41 pm

Which has exactly what to do with the criminal charges against Ray Nutting? People can point fingers all day at Harn and Pierson, but they did not file the fraudulent paperwork, they didn't illegally solicit county employees and contract workers for loans. It seems to me when there is no defense for your own wrong doing, just start pointing fingers at others and maybe people will forget what you did. Nobody is forgetting what Ray did. If other allegations are true, they can be dealt with later, after Ray is ousted for what HE has done.

• agent provocateurJune 28, 2013 - 6:17 pm

VERN ARE YOU LOOKING IN THE MIRROR? re: "Pierson said. “My reponse would be as follows: For more than 22 years I have held criminals accountable for their actions. I have found that rarely do they like it. Often times, they attack the people charged with this responsibility. In the end, they are held to account. Sometimes it is with a verdict from a jury and others the product of a long look in the mirror.”"

• ken steersJune 28, 2013 - 9:03 pm

hello?

• EvelynJune 29, 2013 - 5:23 am

Some Questions: Harn's auditing firm: - • Harn & Dolan • Certified Public Accountants • 2423 Stirrup Court • Walnut Creek, California 94596-6526 • (925) 280-1693 Fax (925) 938-4829

• EvelynJune 29, 2013 - 5:25 am

HERE

• Robert Van GilderJune 29, 2013 - 8:02 pm

Evelyn- Could there be more than one Harn? I don't see the connection. Please point it out- Thanks BVG

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 9:08 pm

Well playing at the walnut creek web portal...this was interesting..:.Aquatics, Performing Arts subject of July 2 Fiscal Sustainability meeting Due to the economic downturn and other contributing factors, the programs, services and facilities Walnut Creek provides to the community will no longer be fiscally sustainable at current levels beginning with the 2014-16 Budget. The City Council is holding a series of public meetings to consider the City's priorities in providing services and the facilities that support these services. On July 2, the Council will receive updates on the Performing Arts and Aquatics programs. A special Fiscal Sustainability webpage is now available with information about the meetings as well as links to reports and meeting minutes." http://www.ci.walnut-creek.ca.us/ Walnut creek is going broke...wow...bikes and trails...advisory boards...ummmmmmmmm another one bites the dust...lots of grants...housing...roads...

• EvelynJune 29, 2013 - 9:11 pm

Robert: See sunshine (above) @ June 28, 2013, 5:22 am. The financial statements found online correspond with his/her comment.

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 9:22 pm

same site Walnut creek--broke yet still building apartments 4. PUBLIC HEARINGS - Items on the Public Hearing calendar may be moved up on the agenda for action if no one is present to speak on the items. All applicants and interested persons are advised to be present at the start of the meeting. a. THIRD AVENUE APARTMENTS - PUBLIC HEARING RENEWAL OF APPROVAL OF DESIGN REVIEW APPLICATION NO. Y10-049 A Request for renewal of a previous approval granted in 2011 for final Design Review to allow construction of a 48-unit, multi-family, 100% affordable housing project that exceeds the 35% density bonus permitted under the City’s Density Bonus Ordinance. (APNs: 171-191-029, 030-031 and 032 Address: 2618 Baldwin Lane) ZONING: M-2, Multi-family Residential CONTACT: Ethan Bindernagel, at 925-943-5899 ext. 2250 or bindernagel@walnut-creek.org CEQA STATUS: Categorically Exempt, Section 15192, Threshold Requirements for Affordable Housing and Section 15194, Affordable Housing Exemption

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 9:25 pm

apparently they have a general plan as well--doesnt matter if you have money...http://walnutcreek.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?meta_id=92989&view=&showpdf=1

• Phil VeerkampJune 29, 2013 - 9:27 pm

LINK - What I am about to describe about Joe Harn is based on my own experience. One of my duties at the county made it necessary that I work with a woman in Joe Harn’s office on budgets... - See more at: http://www.inedc.com/1-5131#sthash.1pQRWKTa.dpuf excerpt - " . . . I am a CPA, was a Scout Master for the Boy Scouts and a previous employee of El Dorado County. I live in El Dorado County. What I am about to describe about Joe Harn is based on my own experience. One of my duties at the county made it necessary that I work with a woman in Joe Harn’s office on budgets (her name is withheld to protect a victim). While doing this work I found some strange and unusual things had happened in this budget area in the past. After working on this issue for a few weeks I suddenly could no longer get the woman to return my calls. Since I just worked across the street, I walked over to find out why she was not taking my calls. The woman told me Joe had instructed her that I could no longer talk with her. She had been told by Joe Harn that if I came to her office, she was to call him. . . . http://www.inedc.com/1-5131

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 9:28 pm

And the list gets bigger of places across the USA following their prosperity plans in the new economy and crashing...when do you suppose people will catch on...grants are dangerous ...first in-- the ARTS...first out...the Arts...read

• Phil VeerkampJune 29, 2013 - 9:31 pm

LINK - What I am about to describe about Joe Harn is based on my own experience. One of my duties at the county made it necessary that I work with a woman in Joe Harn’s office on budgets... EXCERPT - . . . I am a CPA, was a Scout Master for the Boy Scouts and a previous employee of El Dorado County. I live in El Dorado County. What I am about to describe about Joe Harn is based on my own experience. One of my duties at the county made it necessary that I work with a woman in Joe Harn’s office on budgets (her name is withheld to protect a victim). While doing this work I found some strange and unusual things had happened in this budget area in the past. After working on this issue for a few weeks I suddenly could no longer get the woman to return my calls. Since I just worked across the street, I walked over to find out why she was not taking my calls. The woman told me Joe had instructed her that I could no longer talk with her. She had been told by Joe Harn that if I came to her office, she was to call him. . . .

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 9:32 pm

http://www.walnut-creek.org/citygov/depts/cd/transit/2011_bicycle_plan.asp The bicycle plan...okay done for now--it is repeating what others followed--what we are following...shaking head--but yep--im making it all up and staring trouble...

• EvelynJune 29, 2013 - 9:33 pm

Robert: If auditor-controller Harn's full name is Joseph Harris Harn, then there's a better than reasonable chance he's the same person as Joseph H. Harn, CPA, partner @ Harn & Dolan, Walnut Creek. See pages 4-6 HERE

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 10:29 pm

nice evelyn...it would be strange to have two people--same name audit El Dorado.....

• Fran DuChampJune 29, 2013 - 10:34 pm

http://tinyurl.com/pheg62w the company license for harn and dolan...they are up to date...expires 2014....all those audits--all those connections...im very impressed Miss Evelyn

• Walking TallJune 30, 2013 - 12:34 pm

LOOK IN THE MIRROR RAY there you will find who did this to you and no one else, leave Ray and quit trying to lie your way out. No One cares about you Ray and we sure don't buy what you are selling. Give everyone a well deserved rest from your lifetime of theft, lies, deceit, cheating and overall backwoods type of politics. Fun for you while it lasted but it's all over now Ray So just leave and don't look back as no one will be following or supporting you.

• Fran DuChampJune 30, 2013 - 3:28 pm

I beg...nope-- I know many are supporting him in Pollock and Camino...as well as Pleasant valley...I still say he made someone very unhappy...too much going on behind and around the story. What happened in the Grand Jury--public money was spent--where is something to read about what happen--or return the money spent to pay some of the people who have not had raises in 8 yrs. If public money is spent--even if the Jury disbanded--there has to be some documentation--where is it?

• Oh BrotherJune 30, 2013 - 4:40 pm

Oh Brother says: June 30, 2013 at 12:48 pm As should the rest of the unethical, deceitful gob’s. We realize, Walking Tall, that you are part of the judicial system here and are going to stick up for the others, however, fair is fair. Nutting can get his punishment but the others shall also.

• Walking TallJuly 01, 2013 - 4:02 pm

No doubt about and no I am not a part of the legal justice system as you read it is broken and I am just another victim of Ray Nutting's dirty politics and theft. That's why I am Walking Tall because I am a citizen of the best county in our state and don't like the GOB's along with crooks, Yes Ray will pay for what he has done and that's really all any of us want. Do your homework as has the majority of people here and you will see Ray is behind much more that thousands of dollars it's more like millions....Wait for the facts or read the reports and hear what others say and you too will say; OMG Ray Just Leave, tar and feathers are too good

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 9 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 9 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Evacuation

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15