Head-on is fatal

From page A1 | August 28, 2013 | 6 Comments

A collision Sunday afternoon left one man dead and multiple people injured in Rescue.

A green 2000 Acura 3.2 TL was driving westbound on Green Valley Road near Ponderosa Road at about 2:50 p.m. when it lost control, CHP Officer Quinn Cuthbertson said. The car drifted over into the oncoming eastbound lane, “directly into the path” of a 2001 white Dodge pickup pulling a trailer, he said.

The collision left the right rear passenger of the Acura, Timothy Bevis, 25, of Shingle Springs, dead from the impact, despite wearing a seatbelt, Cuthbertson said. Two other passengers received moderate injuries and the driver, Myriah Phelts, 23, had minor injuries. She was allegedly driving while under the influence of alcohol, Cuthbertson said. He described the damage to the Acura as “just incredible.”

The driver of the truck did not sustain injuries.

• Oh BrotherAugust 28, 2013 - 6:19 pm

I hope the district attorney's office is utilizing the dui funds the state has given them to prosecute the multiple recent drunk driving accidents with injuries and fatalities...I still haven't seen anything happen to the woman that hit and killed the woman on the bicycle in Pollock Pines receive any punishment or even a court date. That was her second dui, why the special treatment??

• Karen CottenAugust 28, 2013 - 7:27 pm

This is the THIRD, if not the FOURTH death at this intersection since my family and I moved to Ponderosa Ranch 11 years ago. Since Rescue doesn't have a mayor or board, I would assume this is a county issue. How many more people have to die before they do something? I realize this accident was brought on by alcohol. But it begs the question, would this have happened had their been a stop at either intersection, Green Valley Rd and Ponderosa Rd (south) or Green Valley Rd and Ponderosa Rd (north)? If the county continues to ignore, should it be negligent homicide? To me the answers are clear. Today, I saw family and friends putting in a makeshift memorial. I stopped and spoke to one of them, who just so happen to be the victim's father. I expressed my deepest condolences, and explained some of the history and that I hoped that maybe their would be some good in all of this. That the driver learns from his/her mistakes and maybe so does the county. Note, besides being a concerned resident, I am also a concerned parent. Five years ago, when my daughter started high school, we had planned on her riding the bus. When I found out that the bus stop was at the intersection of Green Valley Rd and Ponderosa Rd (south), I became very concerned. We live on Ponderosa Rd north of Green Valley Rd., and thus she would have to cross this busy road that has a blinded uphill turn, daily. This was not acceptable to me, and therefore I contacted the El Dorado Union High School transportation department both in person and on writing. They evaluated the bus stop and determined that they would not change the bus stop location. Therefore, I drove my daughter and now my son to school everyday. They both thought I was being the overprotective parent. But since then, I have been able to show them time and time again, due to accidental deaths at the intersection, that my concerns were warranted. I plan to start a petition in my neighbor and mail to the county board of supervisors. However, I encourage anyone reading this, who has the same concerns to speak up. Nothing will change if we, as citizens, do not make our voices heard.

• EricaAugust 29, 2013 - 7:43 pm

A great person was lost in this tragic accident. Timmy was an amazing person and such a free spirited guy! He will be greatly missed! An old friend I now wish I had kept in better contact with. So sorry for his family. I wish the clock could be turned back.

• DarthSeptember 03, 2013 - 2:19 pm

To 'Oh brother': Actually, what the article says is "She was allegedly driving while under the influence of alcohol". This does not say that her blood alcohol level tested high enough to constitute a legal DUI (.08). While ANY significant amount of alcohol will impair your reflexes and ability to drive, it doesn't constitute a DUI if it is below the legal limit. Sadly enough, this young woman and the family of this young man will likely always wonder if that might have made a difference. Nothing in the article indicates anything else might have been a factor - speed, distraction, etc. Without having been there, there is no way to know. This is, unfortunately, why it is called an accident. Rather than making this a stump for someones pet peeves or personal cause, the focus should be on the real tragedy - that a young man lost his life, parents their son, sisters their brother. And the lives of the others involved have been irrevocably changed.

• Kirk MacKenzieSeptember 03, 2013 - 3:40 pm

Darth -- in fact, the .08 "limit" is the threshold where the cops *must* charge DUI. Between .06 and .08 it is up to the cop's discretion.

• James E.September 03, 2013 - 4:25 pm

Can any "accident" be an accident without any cause? All accidents have a But For cause.