Local voters stay conservative

From page A1 | November 09, 2012 | 59 Comments

El Dorado County voters went red on Tuesday as they voted more conservatively than other voters in the state and the nation.

Nationally, Democrat President Barack Obama took 50.4 and Republican Mitt Romney 48.1 percent of the popular vote. In California, Obama took 59.1 and Romney 38.6 percent.

However, locally Romney was the winner with 57.5 percent of the vote. Obama received 39.5 percent.

For U.S. senator, 61.4 percent of the state voted for Democrat incumbent Sen. Dianne Feinstein and 38.6 voted for Republican Elizabeth Emken. In EDC, Emken received 58.6 percent of the vote and Feinstein 41.4 percent.

EDC residents also chose Tom McClintock, R-Elk Grove, over Democrat Jack Uppal, reelecting him 61.2 to 38.8 percent. They chose state Sen. Ted Gaines, R-Roseville, over Democrat J. Griffith-Flatter by a similar percentage — 64 to 36 percent.

Both the 5th and 6th District races for State Assembly were contests between Republican candidates.

As far as propositions, Proposition 30 to raise taxes to fund education was a yes by 54 percent of voters statewide; in EDC, 62.2 percent voted no.

Proposition 31, which would have changed the way state and local governments budget, was voted down statewide by 60.8 percent; in EDC, 57.4 percent voted no.

Proposition 32, which would have prohibited unions, corporations, and government contractors from using payroll-deducted funds for political purposes was turned down statewide 56.1 percent; in EDC it was approved by 56.4 percent.

Proposition 33, which would have allowed auto insurance to be based on a driver’s history, was turned down statewide by 54.6 percent; in EDC it was approved by 50.2 percent.

Proposition 34, which would have abolished the death penalty, was turned down by 52.8 percent of the population statewide; in EDC it was turned down by 65.2 percent.

Proposition 35, which would increase the penalties for human trafficking, was approved by 81.1 percent of the population statewide; in EDC it was approved by 80.6 percent.

Proposition 36, which would soften the three strikes law was approved statewide by 68.6 percent; in EDC it was approved by 60.9 percent.

Proposition 37, which would have required the labeling of products containing genetically modified food, was turned down statewide by 53.1 percent; in EDC it was turned down by 62.6 percent.

Proposition 38, which would have increased taxes to go toward schools, early childhood education programs, and reducing state debt, was turned down statewide by 72.3 percent; in EDC it was turned down by 81.9 percent.

Proposition 39, which would require multistate businesses to pay income taxes based on the percentage of their sales in California with the revenues devoted to clean/efficient energy projects for five years, was passed statewide by 60.1 percent; in EDC it was turned down by 54.8 percent.

Proposition 40, which would require that new State Senate districts be drawn by a Citizens Redistricting Commission, was approved statewide by 71.4 percent; in EDC it was approved by 74.2 percent.

Measure L, which would have assessed a uniform fee throughout the county to pay for library services, was turned down by 55.7 percent of EDC residents.

Contact Dawn Hodson at 530-344-5071 or dhodson@mtdemocrat.net. Follow @DHodsonMtDemo on Twitter.

• JoeBNovember 09, 2012 - 9:29 am

Some day we will grow up and join the civilized world.

• NicoleNovember 09, 2012 - 9:37 am

Why would EDC do that when we can continue to be small minded and selfish? Obama, of course, is a Muslim from Kenya who is brainwashing the country with his satanic liberal doctrine.....ROLLS EYES!!

• EvelynNovember 09, 2012 - 10:24 am

Elsewhere several have commented to the effect (I'm paraphrasing!) that vote counts don't matter. The election is over. Get on with it. And so we shall - get on with it. But if vote counts don't matter, then why do we bother? I bring this up because of a Prop 37 article I've just read: DID PROP 37 REALLY LOSE OR WAS IT VOTE FRAUD? According to the article’s author, less than 24 hours ago the CA Secretary of State didn’t know how many CA votes remained uncounted. Apparently all counties had been asked – not ordered – to report in with the figures. So the author called the voter registrar offices of several of the biggest counties. Uncounted votes in Santa Clara County stood at 180,000; Orange County, 241,336; San Diego County, 475,000; LA County, 782,658. Total uncounted in those four counties alone: 1.6 million, roughly three times as many uncounted votes as the margin of Prop 37's defeat. We are meant to trust the projectionists. Why? ********** http://www.naturalnews.com/037901_prop_37_vote_fraud_ballot_measure.html

• AnthonyNovember 09, 2012 - 10:24 am

JoeB, I recently purchased a home here in El Dorado county, relocating from San Joaquin. I am a liberal Democrat and I think all we can do is to live healthy, productive lives demonstrating that that so much of the nonsensical rhetoric coming from the right wing media has little basis in fact. Go to work. Love your family. Contribute to your community. Pay your taxes. Treat others as you would wish to be treated. Eventually even the most ardent FOX watcher may come to realize that what they are told on television, and what happens in real life are two very different things.

• James E.November 09, 2012 - 10:48 am

I'm happy to see on this site that my Tea/Republicans friends have accepted the election results and are now dedicated to supporting the President. Cough, cough.

• DeeNovember 09, 2012 - 3:15 pm

Evelyn here is another story of voter fraud.http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/robbins-report/2012/nov/9/allen-west-asks-recount-amid-growing-vote-count-sc/. ---I appreciate your concern but I don't think there is anything that can be done as it has become the cultural more for our country and times.

• EvelynNovember 09, 2012 - 3:32 pm

Dee: You are correct. The official results will stand. I point to fraud primarily out of astonishment that so many find it unremarkable. And let me add that I'm not referencing REPUBLICAN fraud or DEMOCRATIC fraud. It's become generic and pervasive, irrespective of political alignment.

• Ken SteersNovember 09, 2012 - 5:44 pm

I will in all good conscience not sit idly by and say nothing while Nicole spouts racial bigotry about our President. Roughly 60% of our fine county's voters are obviously not brainwashed or small minded.

• CatherineNovember 09, 2012 - 6:45 pm

None of the vote counts are certified until December. It's all provisional until then. You can Google "California certified vote" to see status for each county. I suspect the counts are better than in the past, not worse, but certainly never perfect.

• DeeNovember 10, 2012 - 5:27 am

Evelyn, I understand. I went through this with AlFranken and precincts with more votes than voters, This year the military being unable to vote. Nobody seems to care. So I vote and realize it will be stolen and pretend that it won't be. I admire your fortitude in trying to stop it.

• kggNovember 10, 2012 - 1:42 pm

dee wrote: "This year the military being unable to vote." kgg asks: who on earth told you that members of the military were unable to vote in this election?

• EvelynNovember 10, 2012 - 1:54 pm

kgg: I can't comment on general military disenfranchisement. However The Duffel Blog (military) reported that "hundreds of thousands of military absentee ballots were delivered hours after the deadline for them to be counted. ... Tracking invoices show the ballots sat in a warehouse for a month, then they were accidentally labeled as ammunition and shipped to Afghanistan." SEE: http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/military-absentee-ballots-delivered-one-day-late-would-have-swung-election-for-romney/

• DeeNovember 10, 2012 - 2:11 pm

kggi I did not specify overseas personnel because I thought this story was common knowledge. One article I read is http://www.examiner.com/article/cast-aside-thousands-of-votes-from-our-military-troops-uncounted-or-missing. When reading this article I am unable to determine if it is only overseas personnel or those serving away from home in the States.

• DeeNovember 10, 2012 - 2:31 pm

kgg-Here is a source you might likr better.http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/army/263139-military-voters-face-ongoing-trouble-at-the-polls-despite-pentagon-efforts.

• AnthonyNovember 10, 2012 - 3:41 pm

Evelyn, the Duffelblog is a satirical website. It really is difficult to take your concerns seriously if you actually think Duffelblog is real. Here is what the website says about itself. They are not real news. http://www.duffelblog.com/about/ The Duffel Blog serves the men and women of the US Military with a daily dose of military humor, funny military pictures, and faux news. We take an interesting and funny look at military life. We focus on veterans, military stories, defense, politics (sometimes) and life on base — with a comedic twist. We are in no way, shape, or form, a real news outlet. Just about everything on this website is satirical in nature.

• EvelynNovember 10, 2012 - 3:52 pm

Anthony, apparently the last laugh is on me. Good catch. I did miss that!!!

• EvelynNovember 10, 2012 - 4:01 pm

Thanks to Dee for her more credible links. You might try those, Anthony.

• EvelynNovember 10, 2012 - 4:15 pm

@ November 09, 2012 - 6:45 pm Catherine referenced "California certified vote". Thanks, Catherine. The CA Secretary of State's most recent update was yesterday, 11/9/2012 5:00 p.m. when statewide 3.3 million votes STILL remained uncounted. So ... back to Prop. 37. How did it happen that TWO HOURS after the polls closed Tuesday night Prop. 37 was declared defeated? For an interesting read, SEE http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/vote-fraud-who-destroyed-prop-37-on-election-night/

• EvelynNovember 10, 2012 - 4:24 pm

For California's Estimated Unprocessed Ballots (by County): http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/2012-elections/nov-general/pdf/unprocessed-ballots-report.pdf

• AnthonyNovember 10, 2012 - 11:35 pm

Evelyn, Well no one is right all the time. Especially me. Just ask my wife...

• EvelynNovember 12, 2012 - 9:17 am

How does this happen? "In 59 Philadelphia voting divisions, Mitt Romney got zero votes." @ http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/20121112_In_59_Philadelphia_voting_wards__Mitt_Romney_got_zero_votes.html?viewAll=y&c=y

• EvelynNovember 12, 2012 - 9:22 am

Three days following the election the Obama administration had posted 165 new regulations and notifications. (A well regulated society!!!) @ http://www.regulations.gov/#!home;tab=search

• EvelynNovember 13, 2012 - 6:35 am

"Obama Won More Than 99 Percent Of The Vote In More Than 100 Ohio Precincts" @ http://investmentwatchblog.com/election-fraud-obama-won-more-than-99-percent-of-the-vote-in-more-than-100-ohio-precincts/#5MoGaurFyh3Jabm7.99

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 11:08 am

Have you seen where Louisiana State Senator Elbert Guillory changed political parties? He recently went from the "Party of Disappointment" to the "Republican Party" You can watch it on Youtube LA Senator Elbert Guillory.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 11:16 am

Saw that, DB. I posted a link for the Colonel to enjoy. I do not think that the good Colonel enjoyed it very much - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YQ8560E1w&feature=player_embedded

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 12:49 pm

Phil, I must have missed that link. So, didn't like or dislike it -- do it again and I'll check it out.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 12:56 pm

Phil, are you talking about the Elbert Guillory film about his becoming a Republican. If so, I did see that and kind of liked it as he moved to Republican for his political advantage.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 1:02 pm

Colonel, just to change parties from the "Party of Disappointment" would not have required such articulate verbiage.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 1:05 pm

BTW Colonel, if you don't agree with Mr. Guillory thought s then I think you may be a racist.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 1:30 pm

DB, define racist as related to his change from Democrat to Republican.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 1:32 pm

DB, the verbiage was necessary to soften the fact he did it so he could run for Lt. Governor.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 1:33 pm

Nope! No need to go there colonel. You know very well what I'm talking about sir.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 1:42 pm

No, DB, we need to go there. You said I might be racist. Please explain.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 1:54 pm

Do we need to go all the way back to alleged Home Depot incident and you're charatization of Placerville? Not gonna do it.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 1:56 pm

DB, I have never had a Home Depot incident. You are thinking of John Garon.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 1:57 pm

Yes! I was absolutely thinking of your hero and how you backed him up regarding the incident.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 1:58 pm

So, given I have never had a Home Depot incident, I will accept that you were thinking of someone else and therefore your comment that I might be a racist is inoperative. DB, glad we are buds again.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 1:58 pm

DB, whoa ! It was Garon at Home Depot not James.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:00 pm

DB, I never backed up John Garon/Home Depot. I was silent as I enjoyed the back and forth.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 2:00 pm

Cookie . . . Call out for Cookie!!!

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:02 pm

This is why eye witness testimony is so unreliable.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:03 pm

Phil, how can you guide Cookie back in unless you can contact her personally?

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:05 pm

If she, on her own, cannot get through the MtDemocrat maze we may have lost her forever.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 2:06 pm

I know it was the Groaner at Home Depot and I vividly remember the colonel defending him in his posts. It's in the archives. The colonel blasted the entire El Dorado county then reduced it to main street Placerville. I've gotten sick of being called a racist just because I don't believe in the policies of a ignorant radical. When the same method is used on a Democrat they get to jumping around like a mexican jumping bean.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 2:08 pm

Cookie - help can be fount at - jethromcswift@yahoo.com

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 2:14 pm

The recent communication outage of the MD commentary (of most of us) could serve as a small wake up lesson in the event that something like this could happen with other forms of communication. Prepare should be the word.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:21 pm

DB, let's just agree to disagree on this and move on.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 2:27 pm

Okie dokie colonel. But just don't let anyone call me a racist just because I don't agree with their views.

• Phil VeerkampJune 21, 2013 - 2:28 pm

. . . or super soakers . . . tomorrow . . . high noon . . . front of boy scout lodge . . . Benham St. . . .

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:29 pm

DB, I didn't call you a racist. This all started when you said I might be a racist. What's going on?

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:32 pm

Phils, duels are best fought with feather pillows.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 2:34 pm

Colonel, Simply based on your posts regarding the Groaner's alleged incident at Home Depot and the typical Democrat rant of being a racist if you don't agree with their policies.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 2:37 pm

OK, this debate has reached the stage when I'm going to leave for awhile and bang my head against a wall for a bunch of times. Be back later.

• DB SmithJune 21, 2013 - 2:39 pm

Colonel, feather pillows can work. Do you remember throwing snow balls? Did you ever once put an ouch rock in the middle. I confess I learned it from someone else.

• Lady MacbethJune 21, 2013 - 2:50 pm

Lady Macbeth says: "Never let a good fight go to waste." (Permission to quote granted.) Here is the contentious Home Depot Letter.

• Lady MacbethJune 21, 2013 - 2:53 pm

Fran says to tell you all "I may just do the .99 day pass once in awhile..." (We miss you, Fran.)

• EvelynJune 21, 2013 - 2:56 pm

Thanks, Lady Macbeth.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 5:38 pm

Was reading an article on the Farm Bill, and I'm reminded that Congress works on Tuesday, Wednesday, and half a day on Thursday. This, plus their frequent vacations, makes me want to be in the Congress. No wonder they want to be elected for life.

• James E.June 21, 2013 - 5:41 pm

By the way, banging my head on the wall helped a lot. Cleared my mind. I recommend it. I think I need another break -- but no wall banging this time. Be back later.

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment