The unemployment rate in the Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville MSA was 8.5 percent in August 2013, down from a revised 8.9 percent in July 2013, and below the year-ago estimate of 10.4 percent. This compares with an unadjusted unemployment rate of 8.8 percent for California and 7.3 percent for the nation during the same period.
The unemployment rate was 7.9 percent in El Dorado County, 7.4 percent in Placer County, 8.9 percent in Sacramento County and 8.1 percent in Yolo County.
Between July 2013 and August 2013, total wage and salary employment located in the counties of El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento and Yolo increased by 1,800 to total 838,400 jobs.
• Other services added 900 jobs over the month, all in the residual sector.
• Manufacturing expanded by 600 jobs. The 800-job gain in food manufacturing was slightly offset by the 200-job loss in the non-durable goods residual category.
• Farm picked up 500 jobs between July and August.
• Professional and business services lost 800 jobs, reversing a seven-month growth trend.
Between August 2012 and August 2013, total jobs in the region increased by 2,500, or 0.3 percent.
• Trade, transportation, and utilities gained 4,100 jobs. Retail trade (up 2,600 jobs), wholesale trade (up 900 jobs), and transportation, warehousing, and utilities (up 600 jobs) all contributed to the expansion.
• Leisure and hospitality expanded by 3,800 jobs. Accommodation and food services (up 3,600 jobs) accounted for the majority of the gains.
• Education and health services added 3,100 jobs over-the-year. Growth in health care and social assistance (up 1,700 jobs), and education services (up 1,400 jobs) accounted for the improvement.
• Construction cut 4,900 jobs. Losses were scattered among residual construction (down 2,700 jobs), specialty trade contractors (down 1,400 jobs), and construction of buildings (down 800 jobs).