Gov’t services offered to fire victims

By From page B1 | August 04, 2014

The El Dorado County, state and federal governments offer a multitude of services to those affected by the Sand Fire.

From the county, Health and Human Service offers public preparedness services, adult protective services, animal shelter and services, public health and mental health services.

Crop damage will be assessed by the county Department of Agriculture.

The Office of the Recorder-Clerk will assist victims in recovering documents lost in the fire.

A hotline has been set up, according to Ross Branch of the county Chief Administration Office, for those affected to contact these services. It can be reached at 530-642-7263. It is available from 7 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday through Friday. E-mails can be sent to [email protected] for more information on county services.

There are also services by the state and federal governments available to those affected by the fire, according to the state Office of Emergency Services.

For veterans with loans through the state Department of Veterans Affairs and who have suffered damage, call 1-800-952-5626; TDD 1-800-324-5966. For information on death benefits, pensions, insurance settlements, or other information related to VA, call the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at at 1-800-827-1000; TDD for hearing impaired at 1-800-829-4833.

The Franchise Tax Board provides guidance in obtaining tax relief due to natural disaster casualty losses. Call 1-800-852-5711or visit The IRS provides information on casualty, disaster and theft losses in regards to federal income and payroll taxes. Contact 1-800-829-1040 or visit Affected employers can file for a 60-day extension on payroll or payroll taxes with the Economic Development Department at 1-888-745-3886 or visit Contact the Board of Equalization for questions regarding sales and use, property and special taxes. Call 1-800-400-7115 or visit

The American Red Cross and Salvation Army both help with providing for the needs, including shelter, food, clothes and medical assistance. Contact the ARC at 1-800-RED-CROSS (733-2767). The Salvation Army can be contacted at 1-800-SALARMY (725-2769) or visit

Those affected by disaster may be eligible for aid from CalWORKS for helping to pay for housing, food and other necessities. To find a local office, visit or for more information on cash aid visit Victims may also be eligible for help with food from CalFresh. Contact 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD) or apply online at:

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) can assist low-to-moderate income pregnant women, new mothers and children with food and staying healthy. Call 1-888-942-9675 or visit

For Social Security benefits, survivor benefits or assistance in expediting the delivery of your check delayed by the disaster, call the Social Security Administration automated line at 1-800-772-1213 or visit To speak to a representative, call between 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday (TTY/TDD: 1-800-325-0778).

Insurance issues, including claim handling delays, additional living expenses and underinsurance disputes, are handled by the California Department of Insurance. Contact the  Department’s Consumer Hotline at 1-800-927-HELP (4357); TDD 1-800-482-4833. For additional insurance information, visit

Cole Mayer

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.