Hwy 50: Signal shift to ease fall backups

From page A1 | October 02, 2013 | 8 Comments

Famous El Dorado County destinations such as Apple Hill, the Rubicon Trail and South Lake Tahoe are now easier to reach.

In consultation with the El Dorado County Transportation Commission, El Dorado County and the city of Placerville, Caltrans recently retimed the signal lights on U.S. Highway 50 in Placerville to facilitate eastbound and westbound traffic flow.

On weekends until the Christmas close of apple season, signal lights at Canal Street, Spring Street and Bedford Avenue will be timed to maximize Highway 50 traffic flows. Based on computer modeling, Caltrans has programmed a combination of preset signal cycles to smooth actual traffic volumes at various times of the day. Signals that normally permit 120 seconds of highway traffic will be extended up to 180 seconds and optimized to assist flow between intersections.

These new “Apple Hill” plans were first used over the Labor Day weekend, some adjustments were made, and now the plans are in effect and running through the end of the Apple Hill season. The new signal timing may also be used on other high-traffic holiday weekends and parts of ski season. Traditional signal timing will remain during weekdays.

“The immense regional popularity of Apple Hill is evident in weekend traffic,” said Sharon Scherzinger, executive director of the El Dorado County Transportation Commission. “This project really began at a meeting between Supervisor Brian Veerkamp and the Apple Hill Growers Association.”

Scherzinger expects that local traffic circulation will also be improved. Although motorists crossing north or south through the Highway 50 intersections will have a longer wait, the project will minimize the gridlock that can altogether prevent north-south traffic from crossing the highway.

Ann Wofford said the Apple Hill Growers Association sees the project as a “win-win.”

• Terri KLineOctober 02, 2013 - 9:43 am

What a joke . . . did you SEE the backed-up traffic heading West on Sunday? Worse than I've ever seen for the month of September. Caltrans' "fix" is laughable.

• Alex NettoOctober 02, 2013 - 8:12 pm

Did you read the article ??? Cal trans has zero to do with the decision made. They simply change the speed and time of the lights. I'm SOOO tired of cal trans being the whipping post for the traveling public that can't make it to cash there welfair check on time. Let's do this, well take cal trans off the road completely and see how enjoyable your travel is then, pot holes, no delineation no striped highways for people to know what lane there even in and oh wait , there is 4 ft of snow on the road, how am I gunna get home or make it to taho...... Watching you get up rupley grade in a snow storm.... THAT would be laughable !!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!

• Alex NettoOctober 02, 2013 - 8:29 pm

Not all statements in that comment where directed at the previous poster, but to the public in general, cal trans has such a bad name already in this state and I simply feel if we really looked at all they do we should be greatfull. I know I am. So as I stated before that was not an attack on Terri or even directed to you. Just my opinion in general. Give em a brake. Lol

• Fran DuchampOctober 02, 2013 - 10:14 pm

Alex Netto...I like Caltrans. I used to talk to them when they came in from the cold up in Pollock during a storm to get coffee. I would thank them for spending hours clearing the hwy.

• Alex NettoOctober 03, 2013 - 10:10 am

Well thank you mam...... It's good to know there is people like yourself out there. Thanks for the coffee . ; )

• EricOctober 03, 2013 - 11:54 am

I suspect that the rain on the first weekend kept people away that weekend; there may have been a pent-up demand last weekend.

• Road RageOctober 03, 2013 - 6:21 pm

Alex, What has peoples complaints about highway 50 or even Cal Trans for that matter have to do with people needing to cash welfare checks? Did Cal Trans quit drug testing? I thnk you cone zone is a little slow.If you are a typical Cal-Trans employee I can see why the roads are the way they are. The same people I see everyday are commuting to W-O-R-K!!!!! Some of us-close to 200 miles a day. And furthermore, people on welfare don't need to go anywhere to cash their checks as the payments are loaded on cards, idiot. So quit drinking the Limbaugh Kool Aid, and try not to embarrass your department further.

• Alex NettoOctober 04, 2013 - 5:39 pm

"Road rage" that seems like a fitting name for you. Why are you so mad? Life is short and for the most part beautiful. And my other question is why are you so scared that you have to hide behind an alias? I'm sure that's not your birth name , if it is I apologize. Anyway , I have no idea if cal trans drug test and if my cone zone is a little slow than I didn't notice. Lol!! WTF dose that even mean?? Wow..... So I apologize , obviously I said somthing that hit home for you , maby it was the well fair thing you seem to know a lot about it. But whatever it was I'm sorry . You aperantly think I work for cal trans but you know what happens when we assume ass-u-me..... Yea. I don't represent cal trans in any way or collect a pay check from them. My organization is a owner / operator of a very sucsessfull construction company that has been in this county I'm guessing longer than you since you have to drive 200 miles to work. I am simply a supporter of public service . Police , fire dep, and yes the big bad lazy cal trans. You don't have to agree , but you should respect what they do . Hope you have a great life and if you could find time please explain what limba cool aid is? Remember I'm an idiot so be sure you talk really slow and don't use any big words . Enjoy your comute. Lol!!!