Friday, April 18, 2014

Supes OK $5.6M new financial system

From page A1 | March 29, 2013 | 83 Comments

A “Who’s Who” of El Dorado County elected leaders joined forces Tuesday morning to urge the board of supervisors to approve a $5.6 million overhaul of the county’s long-outdated Information Technology system. Sheriff John D’Agostini, District Attorney/IT Director Vern Pierson, Recorder-Clerk Bill Schultz, Surveyor Rich Briner and Assessor Karl Weiland had signed a two-page letter to the board recommending approval of the IT system. D’Agostini, reading the letter for the public record, cited chapter and verse detailing the inadequacy and inefficiency of the “current financial system which has approached end of life.”

After an 18-month review and evaluation of alternatives, the administration’s Information Technology Investment Team, IT Steering Committee, Chief Administrative Officer, Auditor-Controller and Chief Technology Officer recommended  purchase and implementation of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. Following the county’s Request for Proposal policy, the IT team chose Tyler Technologies of Yarmouth, Maine, as its preferred vendor. And followed by a loud round of applause, the board voted unanimously to go with the recommended provider at the price suggested.

The initial ERP contract is $2.6 million for purchase, implementation and maintenance. Another $3 million is budgeted for staffing, hardware and software.

Funding for the project, in a sense, is “old money,” as it will come out of an existing $18.5 million Reserve for Capital Projects. That fund was established by the board to meet one-time capital project needs connected to its multi-year, multi-pronged strategic “Investments” program. Upgrading the county’s IT systems was considered the first and the top priority among a host of other priorities.

For the past 20 years, the county has relied on a financial system known as FAMIS. That system “is written in old technology that is costly to maintain” and is unable to integrate financial, human resources, payroll, budgeting and contracting functions, according to board documents.

The original provider has seen a steep decline in the number of entities using such a system, and there has been concern for some time that the vendor would not be able to provide support services for much longer. Department heads and staff have complained about the “tape and bailing wire” fixes that have kept the system limping along for years.

Chief Administrative Officer Terri Daly opened the meeting by pointing to a large paper diagram pinned to one wall of the supervisors chambers. A combination organizational chart and procedural description, the example showed up to 20 or more steps involved in “paying an invoice.” Those steps are expected to be reduced to less than a handful with the new system. Currently most departments have separate units of financial and accounting specialists, about 275 total, according to Auditor-Controller Joe Harn, who also soundly endorsed the recommended contract with Tyler Technologies.

Harn remarked that “we have too many accounting and administrative people in the county, especially the Department of Transportation and the new Community Development Agency. Whether we do the ERP or not, if we do it right, we will save a bunch of money.”

Later in the meeting, Daly assured the board that the new system would not result in layoffs in coming years but that the financial and administrative staff rolls would be reduced by attrition and retirements. Just a 10 percent reduction would lead to more than $2 million in savings per year, she said. Documents prepared for the board note that the current cost of administrative/fiscal staffing is $27 million a year, and the cost of operating the FAMIS system runs more than $1.6 million annually.

“Assuming we are able to realize these savings, it is possible the county will have recovered the costs of implementing the ERP within three-four years of full implementation,” Daly wrote.

Assessor Weiland, speaking in favor of the project, described the importance of good information and good communication to county leaders “in their larger role as decision-makers.” Those decision-makers are “critically dependent on good information being communicated effectively,” he said.

El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Laurel Brent-Bumb spoke in support of the proposal while jokingly handing CAO Daly a roll of duct tape symbolizing the current IT systems.

Michael Ranalli, a member of the County Economic Development Advisory Committee, also spoke in favor of the proposed project as did former county supervisor Jack Sweeney. Sweeney described himself as the “Doubting Thomas” when a number of years ago  the old system became more and more troublesome. His reason for skepticism then was based on the fact that “others had tried and failed,” he recalled.

The last “elected” to testify in favor was Bill Schultz who serves the county as Recorder-Clerk, Registrar of Voters and Director of Veterans Affairs. He described a simple, three-option recommendation to supervisors:

“Lead, follow or get out of the way.”

With the approval to move forward, Daly assured the board that the project team would provide quarterly updates on the status of the project. Assistant director of the IT department, David Russell, was appointed county ERP project manager with a stipend of 15 percent of his salary while he serves in that capacity.

Contact Chris Daley at 530-344-5063 or cdaley@mtdemocrat.net. Follow @CDaleyMtDemo.

• James SmithMarch 29, 2013 - 6:03 am

Funny at a time when the County has been crying poor mouth to all its vendors and slashing contract costs with vendors it magically finds $5.6 million to spend on new software. Also in this alleged time of financial dire need, the County seems to create lavishly compensated positions for its top bureaucrats and attempts to give raises to them, ie., Kim Kerr. Further, at the last Board of Supervisors meeting regarding this software acquisition, Terri Daly stated that the software would save the County money by eliminating Finance Staff, yet at that same meeting the County hired another six-figure Asst. Director of Finance. It seems as if Daly speaks out of both sides of her mouth and her fifedom grows daily with new six-figure bureaucrats who have limited accountability and even more limited and/or questionable credentials and experience. Also, anyone who has had experience with an ERP system implementation and change over from older existing computers systems in a major corporation knows that you typically end up spending three to four times as much money in the end to get everything working properly. The salespeople for these corporations are masters at getting the Nozzle in the Tank by Selling the Dream. Once they've got you locked into their system, then the expense really starts. The crudely drawn white board documents on the wall to justify this huge expenditure left a lot of members in the audience scratching their heads. Typically you would do a lot more studies before making such an expenditure.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 7:06 am

James: At the BOS meeting of March 26th the paeans of support for the county's projected $5.6 million IT overhaul were notable for their absence of analysis and inquiry. (Or will it be $7 million?) Though my own IT competency is limited to using a home computer, I have one question: Is it true that the County will be converting to Cloud computing? I ask because of concerns arising from such as this.

• Having worked with the systemsMarch 29, 2013 - 8:39 am

This needs to be done. The present system does not allow departments to access information between them effectively causing extra hours spent just relaying information. Not to mention the fact the system is archaic. In the long run this will be cost effective. Saving the County money. I understand the concerns but they are truly out weighed by the benefit.

• Foaming at the MouthMarch 29, 2013 - 9:03 am

But but but... Rooster Cogburn and Eyeshade Harn support it, and they're our heroes! Have they fallen under the Agenda 21 spell? Is all lost?

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:06 am

"Having worked with the systems": Accepting that existing IT may be problematic -- or worse -- what is your confidence level in the proposed new system? See this -- "How the Air Force blew $1 billion on a dud system". Who at County sufficiently IT literate to make the critical assessment -- NOW. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's the answer to prayer.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:10 am

From above (11/26/12): "[Air Force] officials canceled ECSS because continuing it would have cost another $1 billion to gain a quarter of the capability it was originally supposed to have, with fielding delayed until 2020."

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:13 am

Finally: Is the El Dorado County official who signed on more competent than the Air Force person who "blew $1 billion on a dud system"?

• SparkyMarch 29, 2013 - 9:26 am

Evelyn - the current system is about 25 years old, and largely unsupported. If it fails, then even bigger issues are at hand. This is not the AF with some entirely custom solution. That is also the state's problem and failure. Every county in the country needs similar things. Doing nothing has been the game plan for the last 10 years and that is no longer an option. I suspect that you are not still using a 25 year computer...

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 29, 2013 - 9:30 am

Done "right", a new IT system would be more than worth it. Sadly, very few IT systems are done well. Public sector systems have an even worse track record. Customers don't know what they want, sales folk promise the moon, project managers underestimate the problem, and developers rarely interact with the actual users. What could possibly go wrong?

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:34 am

My goodness - our $5.6 million (and the Air Force $1 billion) is just chump change. England's National Health Service spent $20 BILLION on a computer system that failed. Nice to know that El Dorado County doesn't have so far to fall.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:46 am

Sparky: Almost certainly you're right that an IT upgrade is long overdue. But I wasn't reassured by Tuesday's lineup of uncritical praise. As for my own newish computer: (1) purchased with my own money, I informed myself about what I was getting, (2) it was not an entire whole new "system", and (3) because of concerns about privacy and data backup/restoration, I do not use Cloud computing.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 9:50 am

FINALLY FINALLY: Tuesday's lineup of uncritical praise wasn't intended to reassure the public. Rather, it appeared intended to ensure that nobody on the Board of Supervisors jumped ship. It worked.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 11:13 am

Seems I've exhausted the patience of the "system", which now is rebelling at taking further IT Comments from me. (Proofreading doesn't turn up any instances of that D*CK word.) Perhaps I'm expected to keep my "finally finally" promise.

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 11:21 am

Is W*K*PED*A getting confused for something like D*CK*PED*A? And I'm only trying to post a W*K*PED*A link to "Cloud computing architecture", because looking at the County's contract does show that it's Cloud computing we're buying in to. I have no opinion on whether that is a good or a not-so-good thing.

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 29, 2013 - 11:23 am

Evelyn -- you probably got Captcha'd. I've gotten into the habit of copying my comments to a clipboard before I risk clicking "Post Comment"...it has paid off many times. "Saved again by the computer scientists".

• francescaduchamp@att.netMarch 29, 2013 - 12:20 pm

http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/what-cloud-computing-really-means-031 What cloud computing really means The next big trend sounds nebulous, but it's not so fuzzy when you view the value proposition from the perspective of IT professionals

• EvelynMarch 29, 2013 - 2:15 pm

Kirk: It wasn't Captcha. I was getting the "duplicate message" response. 99% of the time I DO remember to copy comments before posting, just in case.

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 29, 2013 - 4:21 pm

Evelyn -- interesting...not a typical pilot-error mystery. Maybe the MD has more than a dirty word filter.

• Ken SteersMarch 30, 2013 - 7:32 am

Kirk and Evelyn, I have never posted anything I felt that was worth saving. Regarding IT upgrades for the county. I am an expert on the subject. A system 25 years old is not a system. It's an abacus. My IT manager sits in ab office right next to mine for a reason. Automation has provided real time visibility for myself as well as my customers. My competitors who failed to evolve with information technology died like the woolly mammoth. 25 years ago was when I started my company and the PC age was just emerging. My first PC for our company was a Apollo work station. My reports performed on an IBM 35 main frame were printed out and mailed to me in New York were reports from 3 months earlier. All that information was keyed into the system by a large group in a department called manual inputs. Here's what I got out of the story. The people that run our county got together and made a common sense decision that they all agreed would help our County. 18 months seems painfully long and I don't operate at that speed but bureaucracy is a slow process. still our officials worked through it, so well done people. Could we please give our county a system that they can actually use much more effectively. To argue that changing from a 25 year old system is a waste of money is not even a discussion. I would like to say to all of the officials, good job and thank you.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMarch 30, 2013 - 7:53 am

Ken...I agree that any county needs a good solid system...I think they are concerned that technology needs updated every four-five --sometimes three years...what is the up-keep going to cost. Technology is expensive. During the early 2000 s I was in the school system...the OS programs changed five times in five years -- that s not only new software--but all the gizmos that go with them. Teachers could not keep up with training. They are concerned about peoples jobs. Better technology--means some people are going to lose. A while back I went to the library and found I was being trained to check my books out myself...when I left there and went to the store...they were showing me how to check out my groceries. It seems that there is this movement to push the human aside. As technology keeps getting larger--how much will it cost us as humans ? I dont think people are against the idea--its the cost...and with computers--its always a dollar more here and there...until one is spending thousands to keep up.

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:01 am

Evelyn, a couple of your comments reminded me of something I had read a while back and I was able to track it down. http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_20267585/california-courts-scrap-2-billion-tech-project

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:06 am

"An embarrassing legacy of cost overruns, botched upgrades and failed networking projects has left California to rely on decades-old technology and jury-rigged software systems." http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/22/local/la-me-state-computers22-2009nov22

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 30, 2013 - 8:23 am

Ken -- I agree with all your points. It's the track record that has me concerned about the probability of "success"...usable and on time and on budget. It's needed and it's extremely difficult to do well. In your experience, how have you (successfully) managed projects with those characteristics?

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:30 am

I don't see how anyone can dispute the need for the county to join the 21st century in technology, but expecting the results to live up to any promises would be silly. For some reason the public arena can never accomplish what the private arena can. There is an excellent example of this phenomenon. You know how when you are listening to the radio and a commercial comes on and you have to turn your radio down, but when an emergency broadcast comes on you have to turn your radio up and you still can't understand the message. The only difference being those in the private arena are spending their own money and those in the public arena are spending someone else's.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 8:50 am

Ken Steers: I'm amazed that your takeaway understanding of my comments is that I'm arguing against an IT upgrade. Did you start at the top and work your way to the bottom? Anyway, you needn't worry. The BOS DID vote in favor. ********** Thank you to all contributors -- good cautionary articles, cookie. The dialogue on this page has been more multifaceted than that during the uncritical “Who’s Who” performance at Tuesday's BOS meeting.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 9:06 am

BTW: Speaking of paeans of praise, does anyone REALLY expect informed, critical input from a tax-exempt organization that, by virtue of County funding, is virtually an employee?

• Ken SteersMarch 30, 2013 - 11:49 am

Evelyn, I'm amazed that you found insult where there wasn't one. Kirk to your question. My business, and my business model have absolutely nothing in common with our counties. So I think your question is moot considering at least half our community does not want our government to be run like a business. So what we give up in that regard is accountability. However here in this instance our elected department heads got together and unanimously backed the implementation of a new system. Very rare in today's government. I of all people have little confidence in government. But for me, all I know regarding the counties current system is what I've read. The system is at least a quarter of a century old. With a modern state of the art system the department heads, per their words, will have better visibility, will make staff reductions and increase productivity and overall save the tax payer's money. I have to allow them to do their jobs. Especially in a situation like this, that they all signed their names to and are in agreement. I have confidence that here at least, they are doing the right thing. Finally, what is the other option?

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 30, 2013 - 1:03 pm

Ken -- The project will -- and should -- go forward. There really isn't any viable alternative there. However, there are many alternatives to how the project is managed. Frankly, I'm surprised you are so trusting of government in this case. Oversight seems critical, and ought to include people from the private sector that have dealt with this sort of thing, from executives like yourself to code monkeys like me (in a former life). To cookie's point, it is *our* money. Contract(s) structure is also critical; reasonable rewards for success, punishment for failure, etc. Early detection and escalation of issues -- not the normal mindset in any bureaucracy, and worse in government -- should be incentivized.

• Ken SteersMarch 30, 2013 - 1:18 pm

Ah but Kirk, not our jobs. And to bring in more "consultants"? Really? Over sight is performed by the County Supervisors. 18 months of mulling it over is enough. And you know that the system they are buying isn't something they made up. I am at the stage on this of acceptance. Just implement it before it's obsolete. BTW regarding IT spend. My annual budget it about 1/3 of the counties and I spend roughly 3 million a year on IT. So it seems to be in line, cost wise.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 2:24 pm

Ken! I found no insult. Just misunderstanding of what I actually had said.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 3:00 pm

Applying Ken's IT % to the County's budget, he would consider $9.2 million (annually) a reasonable County IT expenditure. But so far cost per se has not been the focus of this discussion.

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 3:02 pm

Is anyone else curious why the IT team chose Tyler Technologies of Yarmouth, Maine? I googled it and it is 3,114 miles from Placerville. At least they are connected by Highway 50.... I guess no one in California knows how to install an IT system. Support is only a continent away. And they wonder why we don't trust government.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 3:43 pm

Cookie: As it turns out, Tyler is a client of Halliburton Investor Relations.

• francescaduchamp@att.netMarch 30, 2013 - 4:16 pm

cookie65 your last comment mad me laugh--thank you...sometimes I just need a good laugh. I know that the IT people will not think it was funny...because Im sure they are wondering as well.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 4:24 pm

(Nov. 2011) "Fort Worth school district puts software vendor on notice" (HERE) - Other public agencies have also had issues with Tyler, alleging that the company misrepresented products and made promises it didn't keep. In 2009, Jefferson County in Missouri filed a breach-of-contract lawsuit against Tyler, saying its property tax software did not function as promised and was unusable. That case was dismissed at the county's urging, according to court records. Ventura, Calif., sued the company in 2006 claiming intentional misrepresentation, and Tyler filed a counterclaim for breach of contract. Tyler and the city settled a year later, according to court records. In Washington state, the Spokane Regional Health District sued after dropping Tyler's payroll system about six months into use. Officials there settled with Tyler in 2008. "There were promises of what the system could do and when it got here it couldn't," said Torney Smith, agency administrator for the Spokane Regional Health District. "It simply didn't do what it advertised it to do."

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 4:25 pm

According to what I looked up they are headquartered in Dallas TX. Tyler Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: TYL) based in Dallas, Texas, is a leading provider of end-to-end information management solutions and services for local governments. Tyler partners with clients to empower the public sector–cities, counties, schools and other government entities–to become more efficient, more accessible, and more responsive to the needs of citizens. Tyler's client base includes more than 9,000 local government offices throughout all 50 states, Canada, Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 4:33 pm

"Suits, Charges Plague State Technology Vendors" - TYLER TECHNOLOGIES: City officials in Ventura, California filed a $1.7 million civil lawsuit against Tyler. The suit charges that company officials intentionally and negligently misrepresented their products and services. According to the complaint filed in California Superior Court. "Tyler missed every single deadline and milestone set forth in the contract and was unable to make even one of the 19 modules operational." Spokane Regional Health District officials have stopped paying bills from Tyler Technologies Inc., a firm they are considering suing for selling them a $200,000 financial software system they say doesn't work. HERE ********** NOTE: This info is nearly 7 years old. Perhaps by now Tyler has removed the "bugs" from its operation.

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 4:58 pm

Google: "Tyler Technology lawsuits" - HERE ********** Undoubtedly the County performed such elementary exercises before signing on the dotted line.

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 30, 2013 - 5:06 pm

Ken -- Consultants? Ick...no way. Supervisor oversight? Poor track record. Tyler Technologies? A long track record of over promising and under performing (thanks Evelyn).

• James E.March 30, 2013 - 5:11 pm

Tyler Technologies being sued? Not a great beginning. Will this be another case of following the money to determine whey Tyler was given the contract? Never ends does it.

• James E.March 30, 2013 - 5:13 pm

*** why

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 5:16 pm

Kirk: You are correct on the "supervisor oversight" matter. They are politicians, not IT specialists. Further, it's unlikely they have sufficient time to properly scrutinize and dissect the hundreds of pages of documents they're presented with weekly, much less an IT contract.

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:00 pm

My 4:25 post came directly from Halliburton's website. http://www.halliburtonir.com/clients.html

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:25 pm

According to this article the counties IT department recommended the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. After an 18-month review and evaluation of alternatives. I wonder if that included taking the time to visit some of the customers of this system. And not just the people who have reserved parking but the people who are hands on with it.

• cookie65March 30, 2013 - 8:44 pm

LMAO!!! "IDG News Service - No year in the IT industry would be complete without a number of high-profile ERP (enterprise resource planning) project failures, ones that burn through mountains of cash, bring company operations to a standstill, generate bad publicity for vendors and toss careers in the trash." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9201562/Biggest_ERP_failures_of_2010

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 9:15 pm

Cookie: Alarming article you've just posted. I recommend the CAO's office and the Sups ignore everything above, shut their eyes, and pray. Did you note the NY City effort to modernize its payroll system: budgeted for $60 million, ballooned to $700 million-plus, and declared by Mayor Bloomberg to be a "disaster"?

• EvelynMarch 30, 2013 - 9:21 pm

Should EDC overruns approximate NY City's the eventual cost would be about $65.3 million. But hopefully the system at least works, even if not quite as promised.

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 7:15 am

What possibly could go wrong? Backlog at California's CalPERS fund worse than before new half-billion-dollar computer system launched. HERE

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 7:45 am

TYLER TECHNOLOGIES RESPONSE TO RFP: HERE - (pg. 12 of 350) Additional benefits of our solution include: • Seamless integration between all Tyler modules; . . . • Ongoing technical support for the application software, database and operating environment via an 800 telephone #, modem and the Internet

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 7:46 am

TYLER TECHNOLOGIES AGREEMENT: HERE - (pg. 4 of 59) Limitation of Liability. In no event will either party be liable to the other for special, indirect, incidental, consequential, or exemplary damages, including, without limitation, any damages resulting from loss of use, loss of data, interruption of business activities, or failure to realize savings arising out of or in connection with the use of the Tyler Software Products.

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 8:10 am

Standard technical support to be provided. -- (Pg.30) PAGING: “All client questions are important to us. There may be times when you are experiencing a priority 1 critical issue and all technicians for the requested team are on the line assisting clients. In this circumstance, it is appropriate to press 0 to be redirected to the operator.

• Walking TallMarch 31, 2013 - 8:15 am

What we have all learned in just a few (48) comments is that the BOS needs to ask the most important basic questions; Who, What, Where, When, Why and How Much before they "Sign On". Looks like it could be another "We didn't know" answers that we the tax payers will pay for. Ken should be the one to go to in IT and not our DA, huh it doesn't make any sense except non-sense. The support services need to be at least in the same state, just saying....

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 8:26 am

HERE is the video record of Tuesday's BOS meeting when the Sups signed on to the new $5.6M financial system. (Go to: Agenda Item 18 at 00:33:47)

• Ken SteersMarch 31, 2013 - 8:26 am

Ah but a problem in having Ken run the IT. His wife Leilanie would never let him. And you'all don't pay enough. BTW, I did look at the software company. And at a few of the municipalities that currently use it. Also Cookie, you know I love you but, you seem to have fallen for the Left side's Halliburton propaganda. Kirk, like it or not the people we elect as our Supervisors are there for over sight. Might be time you throw your hat in the ring.

• Phil VeerkampMarch 31, 2013 - 8:28 am

" . . . press 0 to be redirected to the operator." Uh . . . I think that TRUTH in disclosure requires, “" . . . press 0 to be redirected to Mantovani." A nice touch at this level of the menu would be 1) for Mantovani 2) Buck Owens 3) Neil Diamond 4) Willie Nelson 5) Woody Woodpecker 6) Suicide prevention . . .

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 8:30 am

Your 6) may be particularly applicable!!!

• Kirk W MacKenzieMarch 31, 2013 - 8:49 am

Ken -- throw my hat in the ring? I've thought about it and concluded I wouldn't get very far. Talk about "babe in the woods"...I probably couldn't get elected dog catcher.

• James SmithMarch 31, 2013 - 9:28 am

The County's crude hand drawn White Board assessment could have been blown up from a Cocktail napkin. Where are the other ERP Vendors Bids?? Did the County get more than one bid? Where is the decision matrix as to deciding which vendor to go with? Where is the RFP? Where are the Needs Assessment reports and Stacks of Report studies necessary for an expenditure like this? How about the Case Study, Project Scope, Implementation Plan, etc., etc.? So I still stand behind my original post here, where is the additional $15 MILLION + going to come from when the County is allegedly Broke???

• cookie65March 31, 2013 - 9:41 am

Ken, I made no mention of Halliburton, good, bad or indifferent. I only posted the synopsis of Tyler Tech from their investor relations website. In some ways Halliburton is like sweat pea septic pumping. They do a job that no one else wants to do.

• Ken SteersMarch 31, 2013 - 10:00 am

Cookie yes they do. In my industry I try to model my company in the same way as Halliburton. In that, our niche is performing jobs that no one else wants, can do or has failed trying to do. I'm still in the experimental phase. Only been doing it for a short 25 years. Kirk, run. Just look at who is running...

• cookie65March 31, 2013 - 10:37 am

Ken, willingness to do what others won't do is the single best formula for job security.

• Phil VeerkampMarch 31, 2013 - 10:47 am

Ken, Cookie – A few years back th’ Missus and I were intending to make arrangements with the North Dakota State Archives to receive some of my Great Grandmother’s (maternal) pioneer settler accounts of life on the North Dakota prairie. Our trip preceded general knowledge of the Bakken oil boom. There was no room at the inn – Days Inn, Super 8, Best Western - - - none but one . . . finally! . . . and that one was infested with Halliburton . . .infested, I say! Damn Díck Cheney! He’s everywhere.

• Phil VeerkampMarch 31, 2013 - 10:54 am

. . . I used to be a Díck denier. . . not any more . . . evil omnipresent . . . pervasive . . . Halliburton . . .

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 10:55 am

You're getting pretty blasé with that D*** trick of yours! I'm wondering if this will pass mustard.

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 10:57 am

Phil: You're just bragging that you've mastered the D*ck Trick. I'll pay $1 to learn the secret!

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 11:00 am

The secret goes beyond a simple Google "Translate". Quoting your good self: "I used to be a Díck denier. . . " (QUESTION: Will a direct quote pass muster?)

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 11:01 am

I M P R E S S I V E ! ! !

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 2:00 pm

Stanford Law School: Company and Case Information - HALLIBURTON: HERE

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 2:03 pm

Cornell University: Conflict of Interest - HALLIBURTON - HERE

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 2:05 pm

"Cheney's Halliburton Ties Remain" - HERE

• cookie65March 31, 2013 - 2:07 pm

Phil, I experienced the same thing traveling thru Texas. Halliburton everywhere. Where there is Halliburton there is low unemployment, no wonder the left hates them. On a historical note of my own I have the documents showing my great great grandmother as being the first non-native woman to set foot in what is now the state of Washington. There is a replica cabin with my family name on it as the first settlers. There is one at Plymouth rock also. It is also on the monument at Little Big Horn. Tracing my families roots across this nation takes you to most every historical event.

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 2:34 pm

Cookie: Let me take the bait!!! I'm a Rule of Law sort of person, favoring HIGH employment and constitutional government.

• Phil VeerkampMarch 31, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Cookie, I’m confident that I need not advise you on this hook baited with Halliburton derangement candy cliché syndrome. But . . . ignore Evelyn. She is not well.

• cookie65March 31, 2013 - 3:06 pm

Evelyn, I don't put you in any category with the left. You are not intellectually dishonest. 999 out of 1,000 leftists only know they hate Halliburton because they have been told to.

• EvelynMarch 31, 2013 - 3:18 pm

Enough! (Thanks, Cookie.)

• EvelynApril 01, 2013 - 12:18 pm

(Sac Bee - 3/31/2013) "Viewpoints: IT overhauls need collaborative strategy" HERE

• Phil VeerkampApril 01, 2013 - 12:31 pm

Alissa Black' SACBEE article is not reassuring. But . . . . . . . Good luck San Francisco Giants . . . . in 30 minutes it’s torture again!!!

• Phil VeerkampApril 01, 2013 - 1:03 pm

LINK - CLOUD COMPUTING - - - WHAT, ME WORRY? - - - - WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

• Phil VeerkampApril 01, 2013 - 1:15 pm

PLAY BALL - FIRST PITCH - 1:15 PM

• EvelynAugust 14, 2013 - 2:49 pm

"No, your data isn't secure in the cloud" - HERE

• Fran DuchampAugust 14, 2013 - 3:33 pm

“Lead, follow or get out of the way.” so the board is no longer in charge? I was sorry to see some of the names here--some do not surprise me at all. Too Bad...no one reads any more...now all we can do is stand back and watch El Dorardo county fail. Evelyn...the cloud was designed for several to share within it...what is the old saying you cannot keep a secret between two people unless one of them is dead. There is no way to keep secrets inside a cloud of several. I have the cloud built into my word program--I can link with many people. I would not put any thing I didnt want the world to know in it. But no system is safe--comps are programmed by people--there is always someone who knows how to get in.

• EvelynNovember 05, 2013 - 8:19 am

Will BOS buy $500,000.00 software (today's meeting) to track a few County building construction projects? - HERE ********** (Answer: almost certainly)

• EvelynNovember 05, 2013 - 9:53 am

Approved without discussion or comment.

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15