Friday, April 18, 2014
PLACERVILLE, CALIFORNIA
99 CENTS

Where the heck is Camino?

THE CABLE over the South Fork of the American River carried rough cut lumber to the Camin mill.

By
From page C1 | March 30, 2012 | 4 Comments

Development of the Camino area began in the 1860s and involved two Scottish brothers whose names remain famous in the local timber industry, James and John Blair. They are credited with being the first to start a lumber company in the area which, for many years, bore their name. For a while they also maintained the Sportsman’s Hall, that now historical spot which both the drivers of freight wagons to the famous Virginia City mines and the Pony Express used as a stopping place.

The town proper, which is located just a few miles east of Placerville on the ridge between the South Fork of the American River and Weber Creek, did not really develop until sometime around 1895 when the American River Land and Lumber Co. bought out the Blairs. They had timberland and lumbering operations in the Georgetown Divide area, on the other (northern) side of the South Fork of the American River, including an area that would be called Pino Grande. They had nine and a half miles of railway and equipment to transport the logs from the forest to the American River. From there they floated the logs down the river to the first electric driven sawmill in the United States, next to the Folsom Powerhouse. However, the river almost dried up in the summer and because of that and the rocky nature of the canyon, many logs ended up stuck and never made it to the mill.

Their land holdings and the mill were later acquired by T.H. McEwan who organized the El Dorado Lumber Co., moved the mill from Folsom to Pino Grande and established a drying yard in Camino.

It was McEwan who built the famous cable tramway across the canyon of the South Fork of the American River, transporting the lumber from the Pino Grande mill to the end of what is now Cable Road in Camino.

The cable system it was installed in 1901 and operated for nearly half a century, carrying the lumber around a half mile from one side to the other. A narrow gauge railroad took the rough cut lumber from the mill to a tower on the north side where the carriage was loaded, moved across the gorge and unloaded in a tower on the opposite side onto the narrow gauge railroad which took it to the mill in Camino.

During its history the cable tramway also hauled supplies to Pino Grande and sometimes even people. Because of its unique character, it was also used as a location in a few movies, including one featuring an early movie dog named “Strongheart,” after whom a dog food was named.

In the early 1900s McEwan built the railway from the Camino yard to Placerville in order to get his lumber onto the trains of the Southern Pacific, which had arrived there in 1888.

After closing for a short time, in 1915 the mill and holdings were taken over by the C.D. Danaher Pine Co. and later, in 1918, were merged with the lumber interests of John Blodgett. The combined units then began the Michigan California Lumber Co.

Later Michigan California Lumber Co. was acquired by Sierra Pacific Industries. Unfortunately, downturns in the economy and increasing regulations on timber cutting made the mill unprofitable and it closed. The mill still remains as the center of this small foothill town.

Through these successive stages of development the town continued to grow until it became a thriving lumber community. However, lumber, though extremely important in the development and economy of Camino, was not all the activity there was during that time.

When the railroad arrived in Placerville in 1888, fruit growers had the opportunity to expand their market substantially and orchards began to expand in response to that. Because of its excellent, fertile soils and pleasant ridge-top climate, the Camino area became one of the largest pear growing districts in El Dorado County.

Because of the increasing lumber and fruit business, the Camino Post Office was established on June 22, 1904. It is still in operation and was originally listed as being four miles east of Smith’s Flat and two miles west of Fyffe (believed to be Sportsman’s Hall, although the distances are incorrect).  The first postmaster for Camino was Margaret S. Hoff.

With the “pear decline” of a number of decades ago, most of the pear trees were removed and replaced with other trees, like apple and stone fruit, but that was not all.

In the 1970s winegrape vines also began to fill some of the fields and wineries started developing in and around the Camino area. Vineyards were not entirely new to the area, but had been let go during Prohibition.

Now Camino is home to nearly a dozen premium wineries and hundreds of acres of vineyards. These wineries have become “world class” and are successfully competing with the more famous wine producing areas of California and even the world.

In response to the new agricultural production Camino became the geographical center of Apple Hill, a grower created organization promoting direct produce and product sales to the public. Now hundreds of thousands of visitors come to the area in the fall and early winter for fruit, wine, fruit products and Christmas trees.

Because agricultural pursuits have rapidly become the leading industry of the area, the county recently recognized and protected it as an important Agricultural District.

On a drive through town, along Carson Road, one can still see the remnants familiar to a lumber town, like the small houses adjacent to the mill and the nearby shopping area. Within the center of the town are restaurants and stores, and the Camino Hotel.

Outside of town, generally towards the north, the countryside is filled with orchards, Christmas tree plantations and vineyards. Scattered among these are the wineries, a micro brewery and many owner operated fruit stands, bakeries, gift shops and restaurants where you can purchase freshly picked fruit, wine, and, during the season, a cut-to-order Christmas tree. Most of the orchards and tree farms have picnic areas and some even have train rides or fishing ponds to entertain the child in all of us.

Born from lumber and nurtured by agriculture, Camino has become one of the loveliest areas in beautiful El Dorado County.

Sources for this story include: “Transactions of the California State Agricultural Society during the Year 1894.” California State Printing office (1895); “History of El Dorado County”, by Paolo Sioli (1883), reprinted and indexed by the El Dorado Friends of the Library (1998); the archives of the Mountain Democrat (1854-Present); and the wonderful people at the reference desk of the El Dorado County Main Library.

For more information on Pino Grande, see: “Pino Grande: Logging Railroads of the Michigan-California Lumber Co.,” by R.S. Polkinghorn, which was originally published in 1966 with later revisions and printings.

LEAVE A COMMENT

Discussion | 4 comments

  • CierraMarch 30, 2012 - 7:05 pm

    My past relatives did a lot of business with the Blair brothers! Lots of great stories in Camino, Pollock Pines, and Placerville.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • JamesMarch 31, 2012 - 1:40 pm

    always wondered why they called that cable road.

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • LocalApril 01, 2012 - 12:37 pm

    For those of you whom are adventurous it is about an hour hike to the remains of Pino Grande Mill from the gate at Mosquito road and Sand Mountain road. A easy hike as it is on the old Mosquito road now closed to vehicles. Start your hike or bicycle trip at the gate at the end of the road on Mosquito road near Sand Mountain road (GPS 38.859661,-120.663636) then proceed northeast 1.6 miles (approx. 35 minutes) to a split in the road (GPS 38.864539,-120.639154). Stay to your right (east) to stay on Mosquito road and continue on to the Pino Grande site (GPS 38.870439,-120.625752) However if you need a break before heading right for the last mile go ahead and go up the road to your left and take a break a Gaddis Creek just a few hundred yards off your course but a great break spot. Once you have made it to the Pino Grande Site clearing (GPS 38.870439,-120.625752) head SSW towards a creek which you will see is actually a old railroad bed some timbers are visible, cross through and follow the path although GPS would be much better at this point to find the old Pino Grande Mill ruins (GPS 38.868578,-120.626383) Have fun but BE SAFE travel in numbers :)

    Reply | Report abusive comment
  • Jack MartinApril 01, 2012 - 9:45 pm

    Thanks for yet another fascinating history lesson Mr Noble. Really terrific!

    Reply | Report abusive comment
.

News

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

 
Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 9 Comments

 
Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1 | Gallery

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 9 Comments | Gallery

 
 
 
DA candidate to remain on ballot

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A9

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

 
CPCSD seat unfilled

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A14, 1 Comment

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

 
.

Letters

District 4 candidate

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 33 Comments

 
Open meetings

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 6 Comments

Volunteers and homeless camps

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 76 Comments

 
Bicycle events and traffic control

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 7 Comments

Evacuation

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 6 Comments

 
.

Sports

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

 
Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

By Jerry Heinzer | From Page: A11 | Gallery

King of the West roars into Placerville

By Gary Thomas | From Page: A11

 
First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

 
Roundup: April 17, 2014

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A12 | Gallery

.

Prospecting

Plantastic sale this Saturday

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: B1 | Gallery

 
Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

 
Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

 
Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

 
Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

 
Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

 
Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

 
Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

 
Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

 
Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

 
A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

 
See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15

 
Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

.

Essentials

Crime Log: March 28-30

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A2

 
.

Obituaries

Arthur W. Cornell

By Contributor | From Page: A2

 
Frank “Bud” Kraus Jr.

By Contributor | From Page: A2

Roy Cluness Chaix

By Contributor | From Page: A2

 
Frederick Wilbur Heymann

By Contributor | From Page: A2

.

Real Estate

Faster sales with spring staging

By Ken Calhoon | From Page: HS4

 
Coldwell Banker outsells the competition

Press Release | From Page: HS7

Handsome Redmond suits modern families

Press Release | From Page: HS11

 
Growing your own

By Marni Jameson | From Page: HS14

 
Fraud workshop scheduled

Press Release | From Page: HS21

HCD launches assistance program

Press Release | From Page: HS22, 1 Comment

 
EZ Mortgages Inc. opens Placerville office

By News Release | From Page: HS22, 2 Comments

.

Comics

Rubes

By Contributor | From Page: A13

 
Tundra

By Contributor | From Page: A13

TV Listings

By Contributor | From Page: A13

 
Sudoku

By Contributor | From Page: A13

Speed Bump

By Contributor | From Page: A13

 
Working It Out

By Contributor | From Page: A13

Shoe

By Contributor | From Page: A13

 
New York Times Crossword

By Contributor | From Page: A14

Horoscope, Sunday, April 20, 2014

By Contributor | From Page: A14

 
Horoscope, Saturday, April 19, 2014

By Contributor | From Page: A14

Horoscope, Friday, April 18, 2104

By Contributor | From Page: A14

 
.

Home Source

Faster sales with spring staging

By Ken Calhoon | From Page: HS4

Coldwell Banker outsells the competition

Press Release | From Page: HS7

Handsome Redmond suits modern families

Press Release | From Page: HS11

Growing your own

By Marni Jameson | From Page: HS14

Fraud workshop scheduled

Press Release | From Page: HS21

HCD launches assistance program

Press Release | From Page: HS22, 1 Comment

EZ Mortgages Inc. opens Placerville office

By News Release | From Page: HS22, 2 Comments