Friday, April 18, 2014

Winkler case taken up by state Supreme Court

From page A3 | April 10, 2013 | 23 Comments

The case of a man accused of killing his wife has been moved to the California Supreme Court.

Attorneys Mark Ralphs, David Weiner and Erik Schlueter, all in part representing accused murderer Todd Winkler, approached the bench of Judge Douglas C. Phimister with deputy district attorney Lisette Suder. Afterward, Phimister told Winkler what had happened.

On March 14, the 3rd District Appellate Court of California had denied the motions by Winkler to replace Weiner with Schlueter. The Supreme Court of California, on March 25, announced it would be taking the writ of review itself, which would take about 30 days — a hearing was likely to be held on May 13.

“The case is now pending before the California Supreme Court,” Phimister concluded.

Winkler allegedly killed his wife, Rachel, during a fight on Feb. 27, 2012. He allegedly stabbed her in the throat with scissors, but claims that it happened during a struggle where she first tried to use the scissors on him, injuring his hands and inner thighs before he was able to wrestle the scissors away. He is being held in custody without bail.

• TiffanyApril 09, 2013 - 1:31 pm

Wow can they get this case prosecuted already so the family and friends of this poor murdered (oops better add "alleged murdered") Mother can shut the door on this chapter and move forward living with the beautiful memories they have of her.

• justice is neededApril 09, 2013 - 4:31 pm

Can Todd get online from prison? Only a pure evil person can do what he has done and have the audacity to take this to the supreme court. Thanks to the Internet his past has caught up to him. Without this even being on tv everyone who knows him now knows what he has done. There is no covering up, moving, remarrying or starting over. All of us fooled by Todd now realize we met evil Some luckier than others including some people that played along for the ride hanging out with Mr TA Top Gun and then blaming others. Hopefully there is no VIP lounge in lock-up.

• BeaMay 05, 2013 - 6:14 am

I was good friends with both Todd and Rachel while they were in Australia. Todd and I went to film school together and I was also fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with Rachel while we were all making movies together. I even met Todd in LA for a few days when I was flying through the US. He and I hung out alone for a few days while he showed me the sites. In retrospect I feel lucky that nothing happened while I was with him. But he took so many trips-so who knows if there was anyone else who was not so lucky. The devastation felt by this will never, ever fade. By now I, like many- have unraveled the many, many lies he told to everyone. Just how he thinks this final lie- "i killed her in self defence"-is gonna fly-is unbelievable-and makes a mockery of the justice system-before the trial has even started. If there is any justice he will never see the light of day again. While that won't fill the void in the world that Rachel left, it will at least stop him from robbing someone else of their ability to shine.

• TMay 07, 2013 - 11:29 am

Bea. 100% feel the same way. I visited Todd when he was at the Air Force Academy and spent almost a week out there. He showed me gorgeous places all over the state. He could be quite a charmer. Most of the time we were alone and I don't think any of his friends knew I was out there. The dumbest thing I ever did in my life was go out there. I couldn't believe it when I saw the article on DailyMail website. I was sick to my stomach. I feel like I dodged a bullet big time. I hope there aren't any other women out there that he hurt. Guess we both had a guardian angel. My heart goes out to Rachel's friends and family. Looked like a beautiful and talented person and mom. A tragedy

• James E.May 07, 2013 - 12:02 pm

Has it been established that Todd is a serial killer?

• BeaMay 07, 2013 - 9:04 pm

I'm not sure if it has been established. I have heard some pretty disturbing things though. And I almost had to get a decoder ring to weed out all the lies he told me-from the truth. For example, he told me that he had potentially fatal liver cancer and that's why he left Australia-to get treatment back home. Turns out that was a complete lie and he had to leave for some other very nasty reasons. I believe there is a lot of conjecture regarding his first two wives and missing persons in some of the places he traveled to 'for business'. So who knows. I wish they would stop screwing round with the trial and just bury the son-of-a-gun already. But knowing what I now know, it wouldn't surprise me at all...

• TMay 07, 2013 - 9:14 pm

Liver cancer? Like he told people after Catherine's death that he was allergic to fire ants? I think only when the story gets larger and more people tell thete story will we know for sure. With all that travel it is soo creepy!

• BeaMay 07, 2013 - 9:56 pm

With what I've deciphered and what I've learned, it's definitely only going to get worse too. He was traveling in Australia quite a lot. I wonder if the US police ever contacted Australian police to do any tracking here. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• TMay 07, 2013 - 10:18 pm

Bea. I am so sad. What about all the countries he went to around the pacific. He was in England. The number of places he moved is astounding! I still think the film school is also weird. I would love to hear what his air force academy friends think about what happened. Obsessive, controlling and just weird when I look back.

• BeaMay 07, 2013 - 10:35 pm

You know the best and only thing to come out of him at film school-were the little films he made of Rachel and Eva. They were adorable and now, very, very sadly, they will have to stand in as memories for her babies who missed getting to know her. To my knowledge the police there have not contacted a single person here in Australia. Not his employer, not his friends or hers, no-one. We spent a year in very close quarters-but they haven't bothered to ask a single question. And from my understanding-there are many questions they should be asking the people here-particularly over why he left and just what he was doing here most of the time. It gets weirder and weirder all the time. He told me some very strange stories about his first wife-never a mention of his second wife though. How do you just not mention a whole person?

• James E.May 07, 2013 - 10:52 pm

I have no knowledge of this case beyond what I've read in the newspaper. But, from various comments, are you implying he's a serial killer? Is it your wish that he is a serial killer? A little more information ladies beyond the Oh, I had coffee with him for 30 minutes ten years ago and I'm just so glad I'm alive. What specifically are you implying? Stop beating around the bush. Or, could it just be speculation gone wild?

• BeaMay 08, 2013 - 12:16 am

James I find your contribution pretty disrespectful. You have no knowledge of the case-so what exactly is your aim here? Clearly by the comments we have posted, we know a little more about the case. Clearly by the comments posted here we had more than a cup of coffee with the subjects? So why the disrespect? We are not implying anything. We have all stated here that there is much conjecture around Todd and his past. And we are sharing some of our histories in an attempt to understand what has been for us-a traumatic event. Not as all consuming as for Rachel's family and close friends-but traumatic all the same. Do we want him to be a serial killer? That might be the most ludicrous comment ever. It displays both detachment to compassion and ignorance to the devastation that crimes like this leave you with for life. So no-we won't supply you with information to satisfy your lust for sordid details. And if you thought it was speculation gone wild you wouldn't be asking. Please show some respect. We are just trying to find answers to a situation that we are connected to-that has nothing to do with you. But please let me know if you are ever in this situation and I'll be sure to drop by to quiz you on the details. Then you might understand how invasive such throw away comments can be.

• James E.May 08, 2013 - 12:31 am

Bea, thank you. You confirm that your comments are just idle speculation and the generation of boring gossip. If you have any real evidence, please send it to the District Attorney.

• BeaMay 08, 2013 - 1:34 am

Actually I was asked to contact the lead detective in the case-which I did more than six months ago. And after making repeated phone calls and sending emails he is yet to respond to a single one. I've heard similar reports from others more intimately involved- that the police are being unhelpful and not particularly dogged in their investigations. Anyway well done you-you got an extra comment out of me. You must get paid a fortune to troll sights and distract people from their conversations. How proud you must be. As for me-I'm done. I'll continue conversing with people regarding this-privately. As it seems the vapid attraction for people like yourself is too hard on the human spirit and I don't want to contribute to your morbid fascination. end of line.

• Heart broken friendMay 17, 2013 - 9:35 pm

I was very close to Rachel and met todd a handful of times. He was never in my list of favorite people. Until its proven James, the serial killer label is, of course, speculation. But those of us who knew them both...the label probably isn't that far off base. Rachel will always, always ALWAYS Behorribly missed. As for Todd, there's a special place in hell for him...no matter what label he's eventually given.

• James E.May 17, 2013 - 9:56 pm

Heart, I don't want to get into a shooting match over this, as I didn't know either of them. But, you said you met him only a handful of times, yet the label of him being a serial killer is not far off base. During these few times you met him what behavior did he exhibit that makes you believe he is a serial killer. Specifically, how does a serial killer act?

• A.M.June 03, 2013 - 3:54 am

Lies, lies, dirty filthy lies. Two wives who have died mysteriously? Good questions to be asked, regarding his first wife's disappearance and travels. The prosecuting attorney seems to be the person to contact, if he doesn't have the time to think things through, busy with other concerns or whatever.

• CP061January 08, 2014 - 12:33 pm

T and A.M. you watch too much TV. Even if Rachel's death was premeditated murder that does not make Todd a serial killer. There are many factors involved. You too need to stick with watching 20/20 or Primetime and stop trying to solve something you only have ability to provide speculative commentary. Very lonely women you do sound like!

• A.M.June 03, 2013 - 4:09 am

Maybe the prosecuting attorney is doing his job really well, but two heads are better than one. Just for peace of mind, asking and contributing as a network, is maybe important to God and for truth and justice. Sounds like a disgusting job, but it is for someone else's sake. It is good to be fair. Some people lack experience, and that is actually sort of great, but the remarks can come across as being naive... in the face of serious horror. Glad you haven't had any attempts on your life, and even less, know what a serial killer is like, James. Glad for you, in a way. But people feel they are speaking with a child, who likes to argue at the wrong times, out of pride for his vocabulary. If you happen to be abusive, maybe you should take stock. In excusing others, might you be excusing yourself somehow?

• TJune 03, 2013 - 6:26 am

My thoughts and prayers are with the kids and Mr. Hatfield. I think 1st wife who he was married to (in Texas) for less than a year is fine. Her mom posted on a previous article. 2nd wife he was married to for about 8 years. Who know what happened during the 2 decades of travel. As for anyone who thinks there is crazy talk..if you knew Todd he fueled it with lies and behavior. Seems like everyone knew a different person. Maybe FBI, British and Australian authorities should take DNA sample.

• James E.June 03, 2013 - 7:01 am

A.M. and T: Please make your comments as you wish. Just hope you don't get on the jury, as you have already decided he is guilty because of some vague consideration of two decades of travel. Enjoy.

• TJune 03, 2013 - 7:37 am

seriously? Your mom needs to monitor your computer time. You are on wrong website go look for bigfoot, aliens & conspiracies elsewhere.

• Heart brokenJune 07, 2013 - 4:51 pm

Last I checked, there are no specific traits to a serial killer that sets off any immediate bells. Many killers used looks and charm to lure their vicits to their deaths. If a serial killer looked a certain way or acted a certain way do you really think anyone with common sense would go willingly with them? The times I met Todd, he was arrogant, detached and possessive. Acted as if everyone else was below him. Rachel complained many times of how she felt like she was "in trouble" when married to Todd. No matter qhat, Todd killed her and that makes him guilty. The kids are lucky to have Mr. Hatfield to care for them. While they miss their mother, they are thriving as well as possible under their given circumstances. Todd ruined lives. Hopefully the courts and jury will find him responsible for that.

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 3 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Bicycle events and traffic control

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15