It’s about guns, pure and simple

February 6, 2011 | 34 Comments

All the prayers, thoughts and other forms of grief expressed at the shooting of Mr. Sam LaCara won’t help him, his wife, his three kids or his parents, one single iota.  I suggest that all those expressing grief’ at Mr. LaCara’s death put action behind their words.

In the mid-60s, the American Medical Association cited guns as “the No. 1 health issue in this country.” Why? Because of the billions of dollars spent each year by hospitals’ emergency rooms treating gunshot wounds. Because these wounds overwhelmingly affect poor, uninsured people, taxpayers bear the brunt of the costs.

The NRA quickly, and successfully, moved to silence the AMA.

Medical advances since the ’60s mean that many gunshot victims who would have died 40 years ago now pull through but remain handicapped at best, or in a vegetative state at worst. And taxpayers foot the bill for these people until they die.

Last week we learned that the NRA shut down the National Institutes of Health’s research into the effect of guns on our national health care costs. The political power of the gun manufacturers, acting through their puppet NRA, is such that it can shut down scientific research because it claims, without any proof whatsoever, that “it is politically motivated.”

If you really want to stop another LaCara incident (and thousands of similar ones each year), you’ll give up your membership in the NRA, you’ll stop going to gun shows and you’ll get involved in handgun control advocacy. Unless you do that, then offering prayers and “keeping the family in our thoughts” is just sanctimony.

JOHN GARON

Placerville

• Jason SanchezFebruary 06, 2011 - 12:24 pm

Just as crippling to our economy in this state, and a leading cause of why medical care costs so much for those that actually PAY our bills, is the flood of undocumented individuals scurrying into our ER's, getting treated by the hospital because the state of California says they must, and then vanishing into oblivion, leaving behind a bill to be paid......one that is paid by people who are here legally. Solve this ridiculous dilemma Mr. Garon, and then we can go after your nagging gun issues. One thing I'll leave you with though.....thieves, crooks, felons....and generally bad, nasty individuals will ALWAYS be able to find a way to get their hands on firearms illegally. Do you really want them to know that they can cruise down Any Street, USA knowing that the occupant/occupants of the house they are looking to invade will have absolutely no chance of defending themselves? It's like tossing out on the porch, a juicy pork chop amongst a pack of wolves....and ringing the dinner bell. I personally don't own a firearm for protection, and I hope I never have the need in the back of mind to do so, but at the same time, I would want the option available to me if I so desired. I don't think this state, or our government has the constitutional right to tell me I cannot. My $.02

• James LonghoferFebruary 06, 2011 - 12:35 pm

Those that adhere to a strict interpretation of the Constitution should tell us we have a right to purchase, at our own expense, musket and ammunition, with an obligation to report to the militia (National Guard) when called (as indicated in law President Washington signed in 1792). Mr. Garon, I must say you are a brave man. Be ready for a firestorm.

• Robert ZFebruary 06, 2011 - 12:59 pm

I concur with Mr Sanchez. Criminals will always have access to guns or other weapons. As for Schnell School...perhaps It could have been a Machete or Knife or whatever even if you took away the guns. It seems to be an action that the man was determined to do. I am a gun owner and an NRA member Mr.Garon, and there are quite a few thousand of us out there( and then some) who are very responsible gun owners. You talk about the effect of Gun deaths. Most of that is caused by criminal activity Gang activity, (Illegals, as per Mr Sanchez's point) and in th e minority, incidents like the tragic Schnell school one. (although they are highlighted by the news more than not) But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy lets say we do that. Round up all the guns from legal gun owners and maybe some illegal ones if you can. Now the home invasion business will be in full swing as will muggings etc. No fear of being shot by an armed citizen. just go for it! I have been broken into when I lived in Hayward. and I made the boy think twice when he heard the sound me jacking a shell into the Remington 870. I then held him, with my wife ziptieing his hands together and called the Police. I recall him saying he needed money for Drugs...Might want to work on that problem Mr. Garon before you do the guns. I have also been accosted in Oakland after a Oakland A's game as well. Again, having a CC permit afforded me the luxory of saving mine and my wifes lives. Yes there are stupid gun owners out there who ruin it for the responsible ones. I can only educate so many people myself. The NRA has done a pretty fine job in educating gun owners It's those that do not educate themselves that are a problem. We might also want to look at the glorification of guns by the media as well as Rap music videos Oh, maybe we shoud give the military bows and arrows and clubs while we are at .that will help too I am sure...

• John GaronFebruary 06, 2011 - 2:31 pm

Mr. Sanchez--Please educate yourself before parrotting the nativists' line that 'illegal immigrants' are the cause of high medical costs. There's been plenty of independent research on this subject and illegal immigrants add anywhere from 1 to 3% of our national health care costs. How much do gunshot wounds add today? We don't know because the NRA is scared of the truth and has shut down the research into this very subject. Back in the mid-60, I seem to recall that the AMA estimated that it added about 15% to 20% to the public's health care costs. As for Mr. Z, like all NRA fanatics, he chooses to distort the argument. I am talking about controlling handguns, HANDGUNS--not shotguns, or rifles but HANDGUNS, for which there is no legitimate purpose other than to kill a human being. You can tell anecdotal stories about bad guys until the cows come home: they prove nothing. Decade after decade, independent statistics have shown that victims of handguns are overwhelmingly relatives or friends of the gun owner, or children. How does anyone's right to own a handgun trump another person's right to live? How would Christ explain that one?

• Robert ZFebruary 06, 2011 - 3:04 pm

You are right. the handgun is a defense against human trash. I wont deny that and it has served me well. I have never had to fire it another human being yet. I hope I never have to. John, nobody will win an argument with you on this because nothing will satisfy you. You care not to hear any of it and thats fine with me. I don't really care because your mind is already made up. Just a thought How many people have been stabbed to death? How many people have been bludgeoned to death? How many stoned out coked up addicts have killed or robbed? It matters not. When the day comes that they outlaw guns, you might as well take the knives and the hammers too..There will always be bad humans one way or another, intent on harming other humans

• Jason SanchezFebruary 06, 2011 - 3:07 pm

Mr. Garon.... I truly believe, after reading your many posts rife with bombast, that you are a person who simply seeks out news stories, polls, graphs, studies, that happen to fit your delusions on the particular subject at hand. I don't believe for one minute the 1-3% load of crap that someone is feeding you. Furthermore, since healthcare providers are not allowed to cross state lines to procure business, I am only interested in numbers from the state of California....which I can most assuredly tell you is FAR worse than what you believe it to be. If you want to go on a personal crusade to eliminate/control the "legal" use of firearms, knock yourself out. But don't downplay the serious issue of illegal immigration in this state as a poor attempt to get your point across.

• R.J. CarterFebruary 06, 2011 - 3:26 pm

I disagree with Mr. Garon...I do believe, that the many prayers, thoughts, flowers, words of support and candlelight vigils, have in some small way, eased the family's suffering over this horrible loss....At the very least I'm sure these many gestures from the heart mean more to them than someone using their tragedy as a personal springboard to launch his own rhetoric..

• John GaronFebruary 06, 2011 - 5:21 pm

Mr. Sanchez: As I suggested earlier, you ought to inform yourself before making sweeping statements that have no basis in fact. You can GOOGLE 'economic impact of illegal immigrants in U.S.' to start. You'll find that studies by the Rand Corporation, HEW, the Pew Research Center on Immigration and a host of other reputable research organization put the NATIONWIDE cost of health care for illegal immigrants at less than 2% of our total national total. Don't take my word; do your own research. Knowledge is not bombast! Illegal immigrants tend to be young men, in the prime of life, who seldom need medical care. If they need care, they often do not seek it because they're afraid to get deported. What also does not get mentioned by the nativists is the fact that illegal immigrants contribute $7 billion per year in Social Security taxes--money they'll never see since they'll never collect benefits. Last, but not least, gainfully employed illegal immigrants pay about $11 to $13 billion in taxes each year. Those taxes will not benefit 99% of them--young, single men who seek anonymity. Sure, some of them will run afoul of the law and will add to law enforcement costs, but nothing close to what they contribute to the tax base.

• John GaronFebruary 06, 2011 - 5:28 pm

Mr. Carter: I understand your position. However, I think that saying prayers and thinking that it's something useful is a cop out. It allows people to say: "Well I've done my bit for the dead person". I don't see how a family whose dearest one has been murdered can say: "Thanks for the prayers. That makes me feel much better". A murder is a senseless act that defies all logic and reason. My point is that people can say all the prayers they want if it makes them feel good, but do something else that might stop a recurrence of a senseless act, and that's working toward a ban on handguns.

• John GaronFebruary 06, 2011 - 5:40 pm

Robert Z: Every handgun murder has three components: 1. A human being with 2. A motive and 3 A handgun Can you and the NRA do anything about guessing who is likely to kill somebody else, and when? I doubt it. Can you and the NRA predict an individual's motive ahead of time? Of course not. Of the three components, that leaves the only variable we can actually control: handguns. Don't delude yourself for a second that the NRA gives a tinker's damn about the 2nd amendment. For them, it's a handy excuse to push the gunmakers' agenda (e.g. sell more guns) under the guise of patriotic, flag waving claptrap, and they laugh all the way to the bank. My hat's off to them: they're good, very good at propaganda.

• Robert ZFebruary 06, 2011 - 6:43 pm

You don't like the NRA we get that. You missed the point here Human element. But thats ok you are blinded by your ideology. Again if you take out the guns, you can go after the knives and hammers and rocks next. I am sure we have enough liberal lawyers to do that. Anyhow, like I said you will no tbe satisfied with any debate here because you'r mind is fixed.

• LaurenFebruary 06, 2011 - 8:58 pm

we are all grieving greatly. We grieve for sam, his family, the school the community and ourselves. I lost my father when I was the same age as sams middle daughter and even though it was not the same thing, all the support we recieved DID make a difference....MUCH more than one iota. Yes, gun control is a problem. Yes, it enrages us all. But for those of us that knew sam lacara, THIS IS ABOUT MOURNING, pure and simple. Let those who pray and light candles feel what they are feeling and instead of commanding that we stop feeling our loss, why dont YOU put your money where your mouth is Garon. Stop preaching about how everyone who is hurting over this should stand against gun control and do something yourself. It starts with you.... If you arent personally hurt or effected over this tragedy to the point where you feel the need to pray and cry then I cant think of a better person to stand up and get your point across than you. I assure you the horror of what happened is ringing loud and clear throughout placerville and I am sure that many people will want to take a stand with you about gun control, but right now, let us mourn and give support to his family, because lets not be ignorant, unity DOES make a difference. And right now we all have to grieve the gravity of the situation. It is inappropriate to turn the pain our town is feeling into just another social issue. Yes, there is an issue, we all agree... but grieving is a process we must all go through because this is NOT just a gun problem. We lost an incredible man in an unjust way and we need to give his death the dignity it deserves by honoring and remembering him as a person. Dont criticize the people who are trying to honor his memory right now and do something about the gun problem yourself.

• R.J. CarterFebruary 06, 2011 - 9:18 pm

J. Longhofer....I have a quick question for you that doesn't pertain to the topic of this blog..So, If you get a chance could you please e-mail me @ rjcowboycarter@yahoo.com ..Many thanks...

• LaurenFebruary 06, 2011 - 9:21 pm

before you say anything mr garon, about how you think that the vigils are a cop out that those bleedin' hearts join in to make themselves feel good (I am sure there were one or two of those, but who really cares?) I think you should be aware of who may be reading this. I would like you to know that I (like many people who knew sam lacara) was personally effected by this tragedy. I was a student of his and my mother has worked at schnell for 20 years. It hit very close to home for me and my family. And most of the people who were at the vigil are either staff, former students, parents, or friends. We are in a small community and Sam Lacara has been in education for 20 years. He was a very well known and respected man in our community. And we are all trying to support each other and heaven knows we are trying to support his wife and daughters. And if his family were to stumble upon this site I would hate for them to read any more insensitive remarks. Yes, the gun control situation is a giant debate. I encourage you to pursue it further, because we all should take a stand for what we believe in, but be careful with your tactics, because I am not sure if you were trying to prove the point that we need better gun control or if you were trying to say that we all should not be mourning our loss and offering support to his family...neither of which have anything to do with each other, and although I am sure many many people back you in your belief of better gun control, not many people are going to support the lack of compassion you have expressed here for the loss of Sam Lacara.

• Jack MartinFebruary 08, 2011 - 9:35 am

"Pure and Simple" Mr. Garon is precisely what the Second Amendment is. Gun deaths, while tragic, are a by-product of a society with an ever-lessening appreciation for the sanctity of human life. No gun can load itself, point itself and fire itself. It takes a human hand to do that and a human mind to control the action. Our Founders included the Second Amendment to protect us from a tyrannical government, should one ever arise. No doubt they knew the risk of allowing free access to firearms, but they also knew that the benefits to a free people being able to defend their freedoms outweighed the risks of individual situations gone bad. Sam LaCara could have also been deliberately killed by being run over with a car. He could have been deliberately attacked by a trained dog. A person bent on doing harm or killing someone can achieve those aims in a variety of ways. Granted, a firearm is far more convenient and effective method, but removing them from society presents a FAR greater threat to ALL our liberties.

• Sara YatesFebruary 08, 2011 - 10:56 am

First, I would like to say that I feel very sad for everyone involved. The LaCara family, the students, faculty and friends, and the Luebber family. I did not personally know any of them, but It is a tragedy that cannot be undone, ever. Second, Mr. Garon - get off your stupid soap box. Maybe someone should take away your computer....

• James LonghoferFebruary 08, 2011 - 11:09 am

Ms.Yates, Mr. Garon has his right to his opinion just as you have your right to your opinion. Is it helpful for you to refer to his stupid soap box and someone taking away his computer? Think not.

• x-minerFebruary 08, 2011 - 9:04 pm

Mr. Garon said, "There’s been plenty of independent research on this subject and illegal immigrants add anywhere from 1 to 3% of our national health care costs." How independant is that research? No such thing, sir. Just follow the money...and if the Daily Koz sez it's so, you'd better do your own fact checking before writing. Additionally, the California statistics (a border state, if you weren't aware) are far more pertinent to the readers here than any cooked-up and questionable numbers on the national impact from the so-called independent sources you fail to cite. As you say John, "anecdotal" info is a no-no. According to the US Department of Homeland Security, California has the largest population of illegal immigrants in the United States, totaling 2.6 million illegal immigrants in 2009. One of the most expensive benefits that illegal aliens receive is absolutely free healthcare. California’s Department of Health Care Services estimated that in 2009 (it's only gone up since then) the total cost of healthcare and emergency room visits for illegal immigrants was $1.2 billion in taxpayer money. As a result of paying for healthcare for illegal immigrants, California has been forced to close over 70 hospitals since 1996. Most of the hospitals that closed were in southern California, which makes sense since southern California is closer to the US/Mexico border. Illegal immigrant healthcare not only costs a fortune, but it also decreases the availability and quality of care for legal citizens who need it. For a state that is $53 billion in debt, California has no cash to spare supporting healthcare for illegal aliens who typically don’t even pay any taxes to support the system in return. Since you donated so much to Charlie Brown's losing cause, maybe you can spare a few bucks to Marshall Hospital's losing battle against ER costs for your illegal friends so the rest of us insured citizens can go there when we need to. Keep putting your money where your mouth (or keyboard) is John...it's only right!

• John GaronFebruary 08, 2011 - 11:06 pm

I surrender. I have been swamped by a sea of mind-boggling ignorance--or purposeful misreading of what I wrote. It's worth noting that while I talk about the need for handgun gun control based on unassailable statistics, most of the writers choose to attack me personally--not my facts. No one offers evidence or facts that contradict mine. In other words, most writers think that by 'shouting' me down they win the argument. Not!

• John GaronFebruary 09, 2011 - 5:34 pm

Jack Martin: My original letter was about 'handguns', especially those with a machinegun-sized clip. I dont mean to insult you, really, but your argument makes no sense. I've heard it spouted by the NRA and its members for years, and it makes no more sense now than it did last year or the year before. You imply that what stands between us and government tyranny is a handgun in every pocket and purse! Are you talking about a government with a disciplined army, drones, F-16s, machine guns, tanks, APCs, etc.? Are you serious? Really?

• LaurenFebruary 09, 2011 - 7:41 pm

I feel like the only thing really ignorant about these blog postings is the idea that any one person is going to change how other people who are set in their beliefs see things. If anyone is going to change their minds it is not going to be from a blog full of anger and resentment posted by someone they know nothing about.it is usually more personal than that. Imagine Mr. Garon, that how frustrated you seem to be that these people dont see things the way you do, just how frustrated perhaps mr sanchez is that you see things differently than him. You are not going to convince each other anything in a blog. I really dont care much what you have to say about guns after reading this, not saying I disagree or agree, I just dont like the approach of using something so personal and fresh for so many people to back up your beliefs when this conversation could have just as easily happened without bringing in a situation you really dont know about beyond what you have seen on the news. The lack of sensativity upset me. If you think that I was personally attacking you I was not, I dont know who you are, How could I be personally attacking you? I think you have every right to feel how you do about guns. Just like the people on here who feel otherwise. I have my beliefs that are based upon the experiences I have had and how I was raised. However, I see both sides (And am not disclosing which side I stand on in a blog, thank you) I just found what you had to say reg. Lacara in very bad taste and of no real use here in presenting your arguement. And really felt that you needed to hear that it is upsetting to those who were effected by this. I went online to find an interview about sam that a friend of mine had given, and this is the first thing that popped up in google for me and it really shouldnt have been. And that is all I have to say. I need to be done now, I have said my peace and am really just thinking this whole thing is just a total waste of time.

• Stevie C.February 09, 2011 - 8:01 pm

angry banter and childish insults are a great way to prove your point. NOT John Garon, Dont think that because you can get online and post things that everyone is listening or giving you much credibility.. I honestly am suprised as many people read on after you opened your original article opener. it is gross to exploit what happened to Samuel LaCara for your own personal gain, I agree. At least lorin has a reason to be pissed. you really should not dish it out if you arent going to be able to handle it coming back at you. It is kinda funny/scary that there are really people like you out there.

• Stevie C.February 09, 2011 - 8:16 pm

And when I say people arent necissarily giving you credibility its because this isnt an example of a healthy or intellegent debate. No matter what you have to say or how relevent it gets lost behind all the immature remarks and the complete shock you seem to have that people dont all agree with you. This is not news. Not everyone thinks your right there are two sides. the sooner you realize that the sooner you will be able to communicate your point to the people on the other side of the debate.

• x-minerFebruary 11, 2011 - 7:31 pm

Monsieur John Garon, Below are cited but a few pertinenet remarks of yours while you accuse others of "personal attacks". As some have properly stated, you can dish it out, but certainly cannot take it. Wasn't it nice while you could submit your ludicrous rants to the Mt. Demo in print form that went relatively unanswered? Perhaps the real-time forum is a bit much for an obdurate crank like yourself? Maybe you should step back, take a deep breath, and recognize your Franco-phile, Marxist, and atheistic roots (e.g. Jean Paul Sartre, Albert Camus, etc) aren't much appreciated here in the good old U.S. of A. before you launch into any more tirades against those that believe in God, the U.S. Constitution, and in particular, the First, Second, and Tenth Amendments. As previously mentioned, Monsieur Garon accuses others of nativism, mindboggling ignorace, informational delusion, fanatical membership of the NRA, being religious nut-jobs, utterly uninformed, having arguments that make no sense; and the list goes on and on, right John...or is that Jean? Don't go away mad, just go away...maybe back to Europe? Like you say, "I surrender". Wasn't that the mantra of the French Surrender Monkeys during WWII? We saved their sorry butts, now didn't we. You're welcome. And Colonel Longhoffer, other than quoting some archaic words by our first President, George Washington, while the nation was still in a fragile state and under threat, what are your personal feelings about the Second Amendment, since you have admitted your ownership of a handgun? Are you ready to give your sidearm up, as Monsieur Le Garon insists? Just wondering...

• James LonghoferFebruary 11, 2011 - 8:14 pm

What are my personal feelings about guns? Let me ramble: Tough one for me as I've previously expressed because I own a pistol. A pistol that's still brand new after 15 years as I've never fired it, although I periodically clean and oil it. I am not a member of the NRA nor would I ever be a member of the NRA -- I belong to only one profession organization. I don't believe that I could overthrow the government with my pistol or the combined pistols of others. I don't believe in 30 magazine pistols -- I don't believe in hunting for sport (would be sport only if the animals could shoot back). And I really think we should consider President Washington's thoughts on the Second Amendment. His archaic words when the nation was still in a fragile state and under threat? So who are we under threat from now? Our government? I believe, per George Washington, that I have a right to my pistol and that I should be ready to report to the militia (National Guard) when called. In the meantime, if I wake up and find someone standing at the end of my bed at 3AM I going to shoot and hope it's not my wife.

• x-minerFebruary 11, 2011 - 8:57 pm

Colonel Longhofer, To ramble on is good, just like the Led Zep song said. Did I just date myself? If startingly awakened by a putative intruder in the night, I've always cautioned that after issuing a verbal command to "identify yourself" and the "intruder" fails to do so, fire the first round into the floor (that way you won't have any unnecessary roof leaks). The rest of the scenario you'll have to play out accordingly, but everone's attention should be accordingly focused by then. Nonetheless, the SCOTUS has recently opined on the voluminously debated "dependant clause" of the Second Amendment in the Heller case, and self-defense has wisely been accorded the originalist intent. The following quote from a highly reputable liberterian website can shed more light on the subject than a humble hick like me from EDC: "St. George Tucker is perhaps the preeminent source of the original public meaning of the Constitution. His 5-volume American edition of Blackstone's Commentaries was the by far the leading legal treatise in the Early Republic.... Tucker's analysis of the Second Amendment plainly described it as an individual right, encompassing the keeping and bear of arms for personal self-defense, for hunting, and for militia service. Justice Scalia's majority opinion in Heller quoted from Tucker's American Blackstone. Justice Stevens' dissent in Heller cited a 2006 article by historian Saul Cornell. That article stated that Tucker's 1791-92 lecture notes described the Second Amendment as relating only to the militia. David Hardy's article reviews Tucker's lecture notes, as they involve various freedoms enumerated in the Bill of Rights.... As for the Second Amendment, Hardy finds that Cornell's article, and therefore Justice Stevens' opinion, contains a major factual error: the militia language which Cornell quoted was not from Tucker's description of the Second Amendment. The language was from Tucker's explanation of Article I's grant of militia powers to Congress. Tucker's description of the Second Amendment comes 20 pages later in the 1791-92 lecture notes, and is nearly a verbatim match with the text Tucker's 1803 book, unambiguously describing the Second Amendment as encompassing a personal right for a variety of purposes, not just for militia service." And BTW, the right to own firearms cannot be misconstrued to "overthrowing the government", but they are to protect us from govenmental tyranny on any level. You know, like unwarranted and well-armed raids in the middle of the night? Or how about Egypt, which just ousted a despot and now relies on the military and probably a well armed milita to keep order? And you don't have to agree with hunting for sport or otherwise, but in General George Washington's times, it put food on the table when otherwise unavailable. In point of fact, many folks in today's depressed times likewise rely on hunting and fishing for mere survival, although a handgun is usually reserved for back-up or quick and humane dispatch of dinner. Oh yeah, do you eat meat purchased at a supermarket? Just wondering...

• James LonghoferFebruary 11, 2011 - 9:32 pm

x-miner, I have no problem with people hunting for food. And, yes, I do eat supermarket meat but try not to think how bad we have screwed over the cattle. Just enjoying themselves in the pasture for a couple of years and then, wham, reality. As for my pistol being able to defend myself from unwarranted and well armed raids in the middle of the night, don't think I would have much of a chance against a swat team -- I'd get off one or two rounds and get 87 in return -- no contest.

• x-minerFebruary 11, 2011 - 9:35 pm

Colonel Longhofer, I forgot to mention that I'd be proud, and feel safer if you were to stand beside me if called to report to the militia. Cheers P.S. Do you like my new nom de plume? I adopted it after the CA gubment stole my rights to mine gold from my own creek. But that's another subject--Ammendments V and XIV to be precise.

• James LonghoferFebruary 11, 2011 - 9:54 pm

X-miner, I wondered why you were an X miner. Yes, standing together to defend our nation -- the motto of the Minutemen. If we're called up, bring some extra socks. Always good to have dry socks. P.S. Thanks for the compliment -- they are few and far between for me in El Dorado County.

• Jack MartinFebruary 14, 2011 - 9:04 am

To Mr Garon, if you are still reading this post.... In response to this knife-wielding maniac who killed four people, would you have us ban knives, or just implement a 15-day waiting period?

• Jack MartinFebruary 14, 2011 - 9:05 am

Forgot to attach the link, here it is: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/02/12/2011-02-12_cops_continue_hunt_for_brooklyn_sicko_who_left_4_dead_2_injured_in_stabbing_carj.html

• x-minerFebruary 14, 2011 - 8:14 pm

Colonel, In response to your 2/11 post above; you're welcome. With regard to an earlier post of yours on another lengthy (and rightly redacted) thread...thank you. One little side note if I may: Pat Lakey is the best, and a local treasure. R.P.

• James LonghoferFebruary 14, 2011 - 9:17 pm

x-miner, Ms. Lakey has always been number one in my book. I've had big time editors on major east coast newspapers who have worked my stuff -- Ms. Lakey is right there with the great ones. El Dorado County indeed has a journalistic treasure.

• James LonghoferFebruary 14, 2011 - 9:40 pm

ADDED: Yes, R.P., a journalistic treasure.