Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Paint Main Street

If there was ever an easy opportunity to make a difference in your local community, this has to be it. With just a few minutes of your time each day, you can help revamp Main Street in Placerville with nothing but the click of a mouse.

“Main Street Matters,” a campaign by paint manufacturer Benjamin Moore to paint 20 Main Streets in America, has selected Main Street in Placerville as one of the sites eligible in the competition.

The campaign asks consumers around the country to vote online for which Main Streets should be revitalized out of more than 100 nominated. Voting began on May 16, 2013 and continues until June 30, but it wasn’t until May 31 that Placerville was on the map as a nominated city, according to Wendy Schultz’s story on June 3.

This is an opportunity to make positive changes to the look of a vital part of this county, and anyone with a computer has the ability to make a difference. So tell your friends, family, Facebook acquaintances and anyone else with a few minutes of free time to do their part for one of the country’s great historical spots.

After voting closes and the 20 winning Main Streets are posted on the Website in July, the work begins and will be completed over the next year. Benjamin Moore will supply the paint and materials needed for facades, porches, railings, shutters and other exterior building trims, as well as color experts to consult on the best choices to enhance the historical references, regional influences and architectural style in each community. Professional painters will be hired  to do the painting, putting local businesses to work, and the paint will be mixed by the local Benjamin Moore dealership.

Anyone can log on to paintwhatmatters.com and vote for Placerville. Log on to the Website, click on California on the map and choose Placerville in the city menu provided. You can vote once each day until 11:59 p.m. on June 30, and you can also post comments.

Let’s help give Placerville the facelift it deserves.

Mountain Democrat

• Doesn't anyone care?June 16, 2013 - 5:54 am

I was hoping we were going to nominate Placerville, as it surely needs a facelift. Was driving down main the other morning and noticed how sad it looks. But judging by the lack of comments I guess there is very little interest in doing something positive for our county. I dont think the residents can put down thier teacups long enough to vote. Maybe we could rename it to "fry a democrat" and watch the voting frenzy.

• I careJune 16, 2013 - 4:34 pm

To Doesn't, It looks like they are too hung up on hating. But I care, have voted, will vote and forwarded info to oher media sources. Where is chamber of commerce? Someone should hold signs off 50 or in town to motivate/inform people to vote. I would, but work too long and too far away. This is important, I cant believe how little press/interest its generating. What this could do for Placerville. Maybe your right and nobody cares, well it shows.

• FranJune 16, 2013 - 4:53 pm

Actually I voted awhile back--however I think other issues are very important...like why cant the business afford to paint their own places? the county keeps saying there is no money --yet high salaries are being given out--at the same time that peoples regular step salaries are being cut--or that their whole job is cut. Mean while self appointed committees are being given "seed" money for even more grants. Maybe it just my train of thought. So yep--I care...I care that the people cant afford to paint...but I did vote.

• I careJune 16, 2013 - 6:42 pm

Fran, This is a contest nothing more or less. You can wait to reform the county in hopes somehow it will result in a facelift for our beautiful historic town, but don’t hold your breath. When is the last time you have seen Placerville get a facelift? You say you voted "awhile back", you need to vote DAILY! We can speculate all day as to why they are not painted, but as a owner of a Victorian, I will tell you it is very expensive to work on the faded ladies. Politics aside lets get the damn town painted!

• FranJune 16, 2013 - 9:51 pm

I care...lolol...I have voted every day--just like I did for the Lego contest for the little ones (Placerville did not win.)...hopefully you have more than just me...maybe work on your inspirational plug...lololol...good luck with your contest. (shhhhhhhhhh I even passed it around Facebook) The way you put it-- I thought of my grandpas words--if you cant afford to dig a hole and burn money--dont own horses or boats...seems he left out Victorians.

• James E.June 17, 2013 - 12:32 am

Fran, I did the horse thing with my daughter (then a teenager) and discovered how you can recognize a father who has a teenaged daughter with a horse -- he stands on a street corner looking shocked holding a check book with all the checks gone. But, it was a good investment in my case as she became a successful Vet in Virginia horse country. As I think I mentioned once in the past one of her clients is Ollie North (his dogs, I believe, not his horse). A small world indeed.

• FranJune 17, 2013 - 6:14 am

lololol...James--thanks for the smile...good morning. My grandfather had three horses when I was a teenager--one was a race horse--the other two would grow up to be race horses...I was allowed to "muck" the stalls each summer--and read to them...lololol...I never rode them. My grandmother made him get rid of them--because she was tired of taking care of the #$#$##### animals, while he was away for months at a time...(Grandma grew up around loggers and coal miners--said thats where she learned to swear--that and being married to my grandfather--her second husband)By 10 I never saw them again. Strawberry Arabians--beautiful horses. My grandpa said the money he spent on them--he could have bought a small country...fond memories.

• Towns’ Creativity Spreads Main Street Matters Message | Benjamin Moore & Co.July 08, 2013 - 6:40 am

[...] California – Editors for California’s oldest newspaper, Mountain Democrat, published an op-ed urging people to vote for [...]

• La créativité des villes contribue à diffuser le message sur Les rues principales, ça compte | Benjamin Moore & Co.July 08, 2013 - 7:41 am

[...] – Les rédacteurs du plus vieux journal de la Californie, Mountain Democrat, ont publié une lettre d’opinion encourageant les citoyens à voter pour [...]

• FranJuly 08, 2013 - 8:21 am

I thought we were one that was already picked...Congratulations to all of the towns who were a part of Main Street Matters! From the outpouring of excitement, it’s clear that each of the Main Streets on the voting map embodies the spirit of this effort. We’ve really enjoyed getting to know all of the communities, and hope that being a part of this program has reinvigorated excitement for supporting local businesses. Your passion for Main Street Matters has been so enthusiastic that we’ve decided to make this our inaugural year. So even if your town didn’t make the final list this year, we hope to hear from you in 2014. And now, without further ado, we’re excited to announce the final list of towns to be revitalized. Congratulations to: Attleboro, Massachusetts Ellicott City, Maryland Flint, Michigan Greeley, Colorado Halifax, Nova Scotia Hawley, Pennsylvania Hilo, Hawaii Joplin, Missouri Macon, Georgia Martinez, California Nyack, New York Penticton, British Columbia Placerville, California Sanford, North Carolina Sea Bright, New Jersey Sheboygan, Wisconsin Stouffville, Ontario Texarkana, USA Westerly, Rhode Island Xenia, Ohio We’ll be working with each town over the next year with the help of local Benjamin Moore retailers and local painting contractors. Throughout the process, we’ll be reporting back about the projects and the people we meet along the way so come back here to keep following the story.

• DarinJuly 08, 2013 - 11:27 am

Votes are in and Placerville wins! Thanks to all who voted for Placerville, 1 of 20 US cities, to receive the main street makeover. Many Main Street Placerville business owners are looking forward to the transformation. All of those involved will benefit from this gift including those Placerville local businesses in need of work. Congratulations City of Placerville, CA!

• FoothillPhilJuly 10, 2013 - 4:08 pm

I voted darn near every day. I love Old Hangtown and the folks in it. I also help Doc with the Stagecoach and would love to have our tourist folks see how proud we are of this historical town. Thank you Benjamin Moore

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 2 Comments | Gallery

My turn: A fair California flat income tax

By Mark Belden | From Page: A4

DA Pierson has been outstanding

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 5 Comments

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Real estate lies

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A5, 1 Comment

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3