Friday, April 18, 2014

Save our plastic bags

From page A4 | January 31, 2014 | 59 Comments

Another bill, Senate Bill 270, is making its way through the Legislature to ban free plastic bags.

It’s the San Francisco disease. They want to charge us all 10 cents apiece whether its plastic or paper. By the way, since San Francisco’s plastic bag ban went into effect there have been five to six more deaths from intestinal infections, according to a study by the University of Pennsylvania.

And now the plan is for plastic bags to contain 20 percent recycled materials and be strong enough to be used more than 125 times.

That’s 125 opportunities to fill your grocery bag with germs like salmonella and other icky germs.

The bills authors would offer plastic bag manufacturers a $2 million subsidy to “retain or retool” their employees and manufacturing operation.

Here’s a better plan. Don’t mess with the 2,000 employees who help manufacture plastic bags. Make sure every grocery store has a container for customers to drop off their excess plastic bags. Many people save their plastic bags for lunch, dog poop, carrying various sundries and lining trash cans.

Consider this 2012 article by NPR’s Eliza Barclay:

“Think you’re safe from norovirus, the nasty bug behind the stomach flu, if you steer clear of someone who has it?

“Think again. Researchers in Oregon investigating an outbreak of stomach flu among some young soccer players learned the virus can hitch a ride on those reusable plastic bags many of us have gotten accustomed to carrying to and from the store.”

This is the kind of bug that recently knocked out 700 people on a Caribbean cruise ship and led to the Centers for Disease Control sending a team to the ship, which steamed for New Jersey.

That’s all we need is someone with one of those reusable bags turning us all into cruise ship victims without the benefit of a Royal Caribbean ship.

Mountain Democrat

• Robert D NollJanuary 30, 2014 - 2:00 pm

in my home we have more of those bags than we need ,but I still believe they are better than any alternative

• Fran DuchampJanuary 30, 2014 - 2:35 pm

This is happening all over...for the past decade in some places. Trend of the month Banning Plastic bags. http://tinyurl.com/nymapcf The Trendy Drive to Ban Plastic Grocery Bags: Does It Really Help the Environment? "The most significant risk is the increase in energy use. Plastic bags are the most energy-efficient form of grocery bag. The U.K. Environment Agency compared energy use for plastic, paper and re-usable bags. It found the “global warming potential” of plastic grocery bags is one-fourth that of paper bags and 1/173rd that of a reusable cotton bag. In other words, consumers would have to use a cotton bag 173 times, or once a week for more than three years, before it matched the energy savings of plastic bags." <-----Robert D Noll seems the scientists agree with you.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 30, 2014 - 2:42 pm

http://repealbagfee.blogspot.com/ People are fighting back: Repeal Bag Fee Throughout CA The plastic bags ban is a minor annoyance. I solved it by buying 1000 plastic bags from Amazon for $20 as trash bags. The major offense is the 10c per bag fee imposed on ALL retailers; i.e. discretionary shopping included. I want my purchases be nicely wrapped and bagged FREE! Else, I will shut my wallet! I set up this blog to call for civic activism -- that governance is: of the people, by the people and for the people. If the city want us to abide, put it on the ballots, and let us VOTE!

• Fran DuchampJanuary 30, 2014 - 2:48 pm

A comment from LA : No Buey Jose at 3:30 PM January 25, 2014 "I don't bring any types of bags to the supermarket. I just tell the cashier that I need help carrying my all my UNBAGGED groceries to the car. Now they give me bags for nothing."...lololol http://tinyurl.com/muns5ez

• Robert D NollJanuary 30, 2014 - 5:11 pm

Fran,plus bags that are meant to be re-used transmit disease,viruses,bacteria

• Fran DuchampJanuary 30, 2014 - 5:35 pm

This one is widely attributed to T. Bert (Thomas Bertram) Lance, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget in Jimmy Carter's 1977 administration. He was quoted in the newsletter of the US Chamber of Commerce, Nation's Business, May 1977:"Bert Lance believes he can save Uncle Sam billions if he can get the government to adopt a simple motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." He explains: "That's the trouble with government: Fixing things that aren't broken and not fixing things that are broken."" <---however it is documented earlier by a farmer...lolol Leave the bags alone.

• Scary GuyJanuary 30, 2014 - 9:57 pm

Fran, I always knew you were a radical at heart......how sweet it is!!!!!!!;-)

• Michael KobusJanuary 31, 2014 - 6:36 am

What I find funny is that the so called, "single use bags", are defined as ,"single use". At our house, we have a cabinet next to the dishwasher that we put these bags into. When the cabinet gets full, we return them to the store for recycling. But as we are filling op this cabinet, the bags get used for a variety of other uses. Every morning my wife takes our two corgis for the, "The Big W". Sorry, you can't say walk in my house. The dogs go crazy. She uses at least two of these single use bags to pick up doggie doodoo. Just in case we don't have any single use grocery bags for the morning W, we have bags that we have purchased that are made out of guess what, plastic, They are a nice blue color though.I don't think the thicker reusable bags would work very well for this process. We also use the single use bags in the trash receptacle in the bathroom. The stand that we use in the bathroom is really cool. It has arms on it that are designed to fit and hold the single use grocery bag. In my business, we deal with a lot of rodents.I always carry a supply of the single use bags to pick up and dispose of these rodents. They work great. These are just some of the uses that we have for so called single use bags.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 31, 2014 - 8:29 am

Michael Kobus...lolololol. Most of us do my friend...and we recycle....it is probably why their numbers of trash is off :) Most Americans will see something...and think..."Why throw it away--I can use it again." lololol...good for you and your family. <---because isnt that what recycling is all about? I carry one to pick up trash as im walking in Pollock. and for my pup...lolololol

• cookie65January 31, 2014 - 8:31 am

All of these micro-management accomplishments coming from nanny state government are caused by having an over abundance of persons of "authority". There are so many of them they are bored to tears and have to invent things to do. Here is an idea... Lets expand government even more... I am sure there is some vacant building somewhere where we can squeeze in another government agency. And probably a couple of pennies left over in the middle classes take home pay not yet confiscated to fund it.

• SHJanuary 31, 2014 - 8:57 am

I agree that charging people for bags is ridiculous but I do believe in doing your part and using reusable shopping bags. For now, most stores will not charge you for using their bags but will offer a discount if you bring your own (Raleys in Pville does). Charging for using disposable bags at the checkout stand is an overkill but I do agree that plastic bags gotta go. Rant all you want, they’re terrible for the environment. You’ll manage just fine with paper bags. And I’m sorry but to say that using reusable grocery bags is making people sick is ridiculous. Salmonella from a reusable grocery bag? That’s user error, and easily preventable. If the only thing keeping those people safe were disposable plastic bags then it was only a matter of time before natural selection took them out.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 31, 2014 - 9:01 am

Sh, " If the only thing keeping those people safe were disposable plastic bags then it was only a matter of time before natural selection took them out." <----thats good...lololol

• cookie65January 31, 2014 - 9:33 am

Solution: if you don't like plastic bags, don't use them.

• Robert D NollJanuary 31, 2014 - 9:08 am

that makes a lot of sense

• Fran DuchampJanuary 31, 2014 - 9:11 am

Sh...paper is the best...but someone has decided we cant grow and harvest trees--so the price of paper is going up. Im waiting to see what they decide for toilet paper...I guess we could go back to leaves--nope--protected...corn cobs? Life has gotten silly. There are so many without jobs...homes...medical...yet we have groups holding up the courts fighting over plastic bags. some places have been fighting for a decade. I believe in choices. I love brown bags--you can do crafts with them..wash them for interesting backgrounds to a watercolor--great stuff...cover a book...

• smilesalotJanuary 31, 2014 - 2:57 pm

They want to ban plastic bags but the same people passed a law requiring gloves to be worn in bars where bartenders will be changing their gloves in between serving every customer. They don't seemed concerned about the plastic gloves in the environment obviously.

• Typhoid MaryFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:53 am

Smiles, My job requires many driving miles every day, and being female, I unfortunately frequent many public restrooms. This last year alone I caught 7 or more food handlers not washing their hands, Even though they knew I was in restroom. How many don't wash when nobody is there? I complained to managers and was met with indifference. I quit eating at fast food because of this. People today are just pigs.

• SHFebruary 10, 2014 - 8:58 am

Very good point

• T-RayJanuary 31, 2014 - 6:47 pm

I'm probably dating myself with this comment. First how do the groceries enter the store? Obviously by the back door but packed in what? You guessed it, cardboard boxes. For old us pre-recycling types, do you remember when all those boxes that came in the back door went out the front door filled with groceries? As a kid I carried many a box of groceries into the house. It was convenient and much faster than carrying in 10 sacks that broke half way to the house. Seems we forgot how to be frugal.

• Fran DuchampJanuary 31, 2014 - 8:48 pm

I remember the boxes...see I loved boxes as well...I would make cities out of them as a kid..cut em up--paste them back together...good times. My grandson played inside a giant TV box for three years..we colored it together. Even my kids made a house out of a refrigerator box with side boxes..one of the few times they played together hours on end. But that goes back to trees. Bags n boxes...good memories! Thankyou.

• James E.January 31, 2014 - 11:04 pm

T-Ray, that's what they do at COSTCO -- boxes. I've never seen a paper bag or plastic bag at COSTCO. Wow 19 words at a dime a word. Another $1.90. Frank, don't blow my cover.

• Ah ChooFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:23 am

Fran , Robert, I too would never re-use plastic bags in fear of the flue virus being transmitted. I also won't re-use my phone, keyboard or door knobs, purse or car......................FYI-no bacteria or virus can live on dry surfaces with a humidity of less than 10 percent.

• Robert D NollFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:38 am

hors d'oeuvres from your domicile,eeewwww

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:43 am

Ah Choo Bless you. (Be careful having an opinion can get you accused of a "hate" crime--you need to drink more wine and calm now....think positive thoughts. lololol....)

• Ah ChooFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:15 am

Fran, Hate? Me? I think you have the wrong person......Wine? Before 8:00 am? Well, maybe you do have the right person.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:27 am

No not you Ah choo...in general-- if one gives their opinion here on the wall...someone may accuse you of a "hate" crime...lololol ".FYI-no bacteria or virus can live on dry surfaces with a humidity of less than 10 percent." <---this statement alone is very radical...lolololol

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:06 am

T-ray, as a child in the 70's I don't recall the boxes. We rode bikes (with ace of spade card clothes pinned on spokes) to store and hooked bags on handle bars, the trick being a precise balance of bags, and not losing moms' change on the way home. Love the box idea, so simple.

• T-RayFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:27 am

By the '70s, boxes were out and bags in. I too rode home with bags of groceries from the handle bars and even gallon jugs of milk in returnable glass containers. Only lost one over the years. For several years I lived in PA. PA was unique as they had state stores, i.e. a state monopoly on booze. They also had a 2 six pack limit on beer in any store. So to get a case of beer you had to go to a wholesaler. The wholesalers would set up in an old barn or warehouse with drive through doors. You would drivein, they would grab the empties off the back seat, toss in a new case, take your money through the car window and off you would go. So returnable glass bottles were used as far as I know well into the '80s. They also sold soda but you could buy soda at the supermarket. It was cheaper to buy soda in returnable 16 oz bottles, pay the deposit and through the bottle away than it was to buy disposable aluminum or plastic containers. Naturally, we returned the bottles and saved even more. This again was true well into the '80s. The returnable bottle industry was killed by the sanitation laws and the torte lawyers. So now we consume more material, burn more energy, create more trash. But we old fogies are generation of waste, not like the young environmentally hip kids.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:37 am

T-Ray...I love your posts...I remember glass milk bottles...returnable soda bottles. Actually when I live in Mexico after graduating at 16...it was the only way to buy soda...you had to come with an empty bottle and turn it in. Water came in trucks--and you stood with containers on the side of the road. Wow...a simpler time. Keep the memories coming...so much nicer than what some have planned for us. I lived in the hollywood hills--and would drive my bike the six miles to the Grocery store ...I had a basket :) Otherwise we relied on the milkman, the Helms man, and Chicken Delight...lololol we didnt have videos games...we played outside. The Helms man would let us ride in the truck--he had drawers that would open...filled with fresh breads, doughnuts, the best Barbecue potatoes chips on the planet. Again..thank you...I m so glad I came back on for a few--didnt realize it was so early. memories.

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 10:18 am

Fran, T-ray, Thanks for the cool(non-hateful) posts and sharing old memories. Ya taught me something positive and useful. I am not above learning. Love. Love. Fran tell me more about the truck with the drawer full of goodies......mmmmmmmmmmm......doughnuts. Just to add, I lost Moms' $20.00 bill once in the market. Longest ride home ever.

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 10:58 am

Fran, A little off topic but an old memory, please don't think less of me as I was the youngest, just a tag-a-long. At the time we lived in sac and as kids we were to go to Sacred Heart every Sun on J street. Parents wouldn't go but would give us change to put in as offering. As it were, a Winchells doughnuts was next door to church.........................You see where I'm going with this. Yes, we worshiped at the house of lard. Once dad wanted to reward us for a job well done, cleaning garage, and while we were at church he was going to treat us well, with doughnuts............... I still cant sit in that one particular spot.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 4:43 pm

Speed Racer :) I had a good friend in high school--and the only way a group of us could spend the night...is if we went to church with the mom the next day :) so I understand. My friends mom told all of us it was her way of giving back to God...she would throw us the best sleepovers...homemade chicken, cookies, popcorn balls. But only if we went with her...and could answer questions about what we learned that sunday.I really liked my moms friend--she was not afraid of anything. Our group was four or five wild teenage girls. We had to dress up as well...and in the 70 s--we lived in our torn up jeans...lolololol

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 5:03 pm

wow losing $20.00--I imagine it was a very long ride. Okay the Helms man. It was a large truck through the eyes of a young one. Behind where the driver sat, were these huge flat drawers-- the width of the cab. One drawer had candy, then another doughnuts,...and so on. My mom was never home...and every year she would order a birthday cake with a doll on it from him (I hated dolls--but whatever...I grew up with boys) and I know that sounds sad...but it wasnt. He was one adult in my life that I trusted...he just liked us all. He would honk the horn to deliver my cake...he always had my friends in the truck and they would all sing happy birthday to me. He would buy each of us one candy on our birthday--and to open that top drawer and decide with your friends telling you their favorite choices--he never hurried us. I remember when the company closed down...I was heart broken...because we would never see him again. I dont remember his name--just his kindness. I loved the trucks that came around...ice cream truck, ....seeing everyone run after the music...and laugh when you caught up (knowing the driver had played you.) lololololol your turn.

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 6:51 pm

Holy cow Fran, you should write a little children s' book based on those experiences. It sounds fantastic. You described it well. I don't have any great old stories, but Part 2 of the doughnut saga is that after church let out, the parishioners served pastry in the church’s' courtyard. And we would attend the after church party as if we had been in church diligently praying on our knees. I told a young man this story years ago, as it is the most horrible thing I've ever done, although amusing. He turned to me and said “That's OK sweetie, you were only trying to double your doughnuts.” I married him.

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:11 pm

Fran what was Helms? This was Mexico, and what year?

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:30 pm

Speed, when we were kids we had Grandparents in Burbank - '50s & 60s - The Helms truck was bread, pastry etc. door to door

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:36 pm

321 Screenland Dr. - walking distance to the original BOB'S BIG BOY - yumm!!

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:48 pm

Phil, My great grand parents had dairy in Elk Grove in the 70's Great Grandma would have me shell black walnuts, in return I was rewarded with A&W money. I remember walking pretty far by myself and when I got there I was mortified I only had enough for the baby burger. It wasn't the size of the burger that was embarrassing, it was saying out loud B-a-b-y, when it was perfectly clear I should be ordering the t-e-a-n burger although I was probably around 9 or 10.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 01, 2014 - 8:03 pm

Ahhhh! ~ The sweet pangs of nostalgia . . . . Speed, SNAP OUT OF IT!

• Judy D.February 01, 2014 - 9:00 pm

Phil, I was enjoying the posts from T-ray, Fran and Speed. If nostalgia bothers you I don't know why you would land on this thread.

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Judy, my sarcasm translates poorly. Nostalgia is indeed sweet. Allow me to make amends. Enjoy this bitter sweet SWEET tune. ~~~>LINK - John Prine - Hello In There

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 8:55 pm

Baby Boomers Tribute "Daily at Your Door" The Helms Bakery Truck 1930's Los Angeles The Helms Bakery in Culver City, California was a notable industrial bakery of Southern California that operated from 1931 to 1969.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9LeZD-Y4HY

• Speed RacerFebruary 01, 2014 - 7:13 pm

Did the Helms man ever have stow -aways?

• James E.February 01, 2014 - 7:14 pm

Speed, I think Helms was a truck vendor in LA.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 8:58 pm

In the you tube vid I just posted--it shows drawers in the back as well--i dont remember those...i remember inside...because we were allowed in the cab.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 8:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBH5YvC83gA things that disappeared

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:02 pm

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:12 pm

okay last one...I remember when I got a slinky...I didnt understand it--but it made me laugh and laugh....still does. (I think at the time--I couldnt understand why someone would buy it for me...lololol) http://tinyurl.com/lsl522t <---toys...lolololol Okay thats it--before we have a puppet rebellion....good night all. lolololol

• Speed RacerFebruary 02, 2014 - 5:36 am

Are you guys sure your not pulling my leg about this magical, mythical,wonderful doll, doughnut, and birthday cake toting truck? Hmmmmm...I think I got cheated, hence, the Winchells thing. Will check out links. Thanks Fran......I didn't really get the slinky thing either. Received one at christmas, watched it go down stairs once and that was that.

• cookie65February 02, 2014 - 5:44 am

Slinky's are as useful as the typical leftist. They really don't serve any purpose but they are fun to push down a flight of stairs.

• Be Nice or Go AwayFebruary 02, 2014 - 9:31 am

Kookie, I guess you were starving for attention, as your hate has caused your own alienation, but you still had to try to spread some here amongst all these friendly, funny posts. You are humorless,uninteresting, can't seem to grasp the commonality of the thread and are incapable of being human. I imagine in your sick and pathetic world you truly would find it fun to push a leftist down the stairs. I don't understand the purpose of your posts as it is not to share, not to have an intelligent debate, nor to try to teach, so in short go hate elsewhere.

• cookie65February 02, 2014 - 1:33 pm

I am actually quite lovable, I just know how disgusting, depraved and evil leftism is. 100 million people slaughtered by leftism in the last century. Your definition of hate needs a little tweaking. I imagine it is similar to your definition of bigoted. Those of us who only see Americans are the bigots and those who see everyone in what ever group (hyphenated-American) they have assigned them to aren't. The upside down world of leftists.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:19 pm

Beautiful choice Phil...good night my online friend ♥

• Phil VeerkampFebruary 01, 2014 - 9:29 pm

Oh my! - (fingers to lips)

• Fran DuchampFebruary 02, 2014 - 10:53 am

Cookie is an important part of keeping this wall"real." without Cookies voice...the posts would become "flat." If you dont like the posts--dont read them ♥ There are lots of articles and posts I pass up. I learn from cookies voice and links...if anything I might disagree...but I will look at the link to learn. We have grumpy seniors up here( I will be one of them someday) , but if you keep at them--they have the best information. Information one could not find on their own--because they didnt know to ask...or look for it.

• cookie65February 02, 2014 - 1:46 pm

Thank you Fran, they will forever take offense to me. They have swallowed so many lies over the years (that have nothing to do with me) that any unveiling of those lies requires a response with the accusation of hate. It is their favorite word in all the English language. They have no sense of humor. My slinky joke is actually an old joke.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 02, 2014 - 1:58 pm

:) Cookie...I dont know what it is...even reading the word slinky makes me laugh...lololol I had just taken a tubed tv apart when I was bored and had put it back together...and a relative had gave me a slinky--so I would not take their things apart.--bless them. ( I was young.) It was like when I was in 9th grade an aunt gave me a Barbie doll <--in all fairness she didnt know that one of the married designers was having an affair with my mom...out in the garage I had every Mattel toy there was...a new toy was brought at each visit--so I would go play. ( I do remember their name.)I still have a picture of my pony...you plugged it in and it moved (without putting any coin in) I we ride it for hours--toys had to get bigger--smarter to entertain me. it also had a string you could pull to make it talk <---loved that thing. The dolls...their lives ended badly. I was a "spoiled" kid in different ways. If he had just brought boxes--they would not have seen me for hours...lololol life.

• Fran DuchampFebruary 02, 2014 - 2:06 pm

I was an early reader...and I remember when a friend of my moms brought me the Operation Game...I politely watched them show me how to play it (now dont touch the sides..lolol) so I played it--never touched the sides...got up and threw it away. I was very high maintenance. although in my room I was building skyscrapers with boxes. I think I felt that the game was a test--I passed it...and was done. I dont think I was bad...I think I was misunderstood...plus I spent hours by myself...even as a wee one. I still have the paper form court--I was two...out on the fire escape dropping spoons down from several stories up--someone called the police...they called my grandmother...she came and got me form the police station--mom wasnt home...my baby sitter--huge poodle<---my grandmother was given the poodle as well...she said it would growl at her if she raised her voice at me...I am sure people think this is all very sad...maybe...but it is who I am. I would love to know what I was thinking as I dropped spoons. My grandmother said I wasnt out there long...neighbors watched out for me--the best they could.

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 6 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 7 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 2 Comments

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Evacuation

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15