Steerses do a lot for community

October 29, 2010 | 37 Comments

EDITOR: First of all, Mr. Hagen, while I admit I do not know much about politics other than my gut intuition.

You need to learn a few facts about Ken and Lani Steers before you slander them. I admire their passion for politics and their passion in life in everything they do.

Maybe you should check out all of the monies they donate to this community before you only name them as political donors. Why don’t you contact Ponderosa High School and see who donated the scoreboard? Or the computers at the Seventh-day Adventist School.

Another charity is CASA. Why dont you see what Lani does for them or the abused and neglected kids they take under their wing. There is a lot more to the Steers than politics. You should be ashamed of yourself. Thank God we have them in our community, especially where Gary Lacy was concerned, and I mean that with every fiber of my body — talk about corruption.

Ken and Lani Steers are good people who spend their money wisely in this community.I wish they would run for an office.

DOTTIE McKENZIE

Placerville

• so sick of thisOctober 29, 2010 - 2:26 pm

The Steers family probably does do a lot of good. They have been entitled to their opinion in regards to Craig Therkildsen. The money that they have donated has been used to slander another good, ethical, honest and does a lot for the community person, John D'Agostini. Mr. Hagen or anyone else are entitled to their opinon. If the Steers family doesn't want to be put in the bad light, they shouldn't let their money be used for defamation of character about another citizen. That's the law. Defamation of Character is against the law!!

• James LonghoferOctober 29, 2010 - 3:34 pm

I too wish that Ken Steers would seek office -- out of the shadows and into the bright light, but I doubt he has the courage to do so. I might add that I'm astonished to have been debating with a rich man. No wonder he is against Social Security, Medicare, et al., and the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. What did Jesus say about the rich getting through the head of a needle?

• James LonghoferOctober 29, 2010 - 3:53 pm

Sorry, a camel -- I knew there was a camel in there somewhere -- It is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. All rich men take note.

• R.J. CarterOctober 29, 2010 - 4:30 pm

Hey Longhofer, we still love ya...Anyway....Well, Ms. DOTTIE McKENZIE of Placerville, Mr. Hagen happens be a friend of mine and It's definitely not slander...If anything it would be libel, only because it's brought forth through the written word..Problem is, it would only be libel or defamation of character if it's not true ....From what I've seen, from of the Steers it all seems to be true...They love to manipulate elections just to see their name in print, that's their thing...I myself, have founded The Annual Capital Ride for Scleroderma awareness, The Annual El-Dorado Co. Food & Toy Drive benefiting underprivileged families, and The Hangtown Chapter of the MMA, motorcycle civil rights organization.. Yet It's funny, I've never seen any of slick Kenny's money.....

• R.J. CarterOctober 29, 2010 - 4:32 pm

Hey Longhofer, we still love ya...Anyway....Well, Ms. Dottie McKenzie of Placerville, Mr. Hagen happens be a friend of mine, and It's definitely not slander...If anything it would be libel, only because it's brought forth through the written word..Problem is, it would only be libel or defamation of character if it's not true ....From what I've seen, from of the Steers it all seems to be true...They love to manipulate elections just to see their name in print, that's their thing...I myself, have founded The Annual Capital Ride for Scleroderma awareness, The Annual El-Dorado Co. Food & Toy Drive benefiting underprivileged families, and The Hangtown Chapter of the MMA, motorcycle civil rights organization.. Yet It's funny, I've never seen any of slick Kenny's money.....

• R.J. CarterOctober 29, 2010 - 4:43 pm

Sorry ...Pressed the botton twice...

• James LonghoferOctober 29, 2010 - 5:14 pm

Mr. Carter, thanks for the double shot. Yes, truth is an absolute defense. And, here's how to remember it: Speech/Slander, written Letters/Libel. S is S, L is L.

• James LonghoferOctober 29, 2010 - 5:20 pm

I don't remember much about Gary Lacy. Given Ms. McKenzie's comment, I assume he was a Democrat. As for his alleged corruption, was Mr. Lacy ever indicted or charged with a crime? No? How strange that an alleged corrupt District Attorney was never charged with anything? Now, as for Mr. Steers being slick as in slick Kenny. I don't believe he is slick, he is simply a good practicing Republican. Says it all.

• Ken SteersOctober 29, 2010 - 6:30 pm

Col. I'm shocked? I've never been ageist a social safety net. I would like it paid for by more than an IOU. Also no slander or liable has been committed on me and Lacey like more everyone in our balanced budget county is a Republican.

• Ken SteersOctober 29, 2010 - 6:33 pm

And it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to go to heaven. I'm not worthy

• Ken SteersOctober 29, 2010 - 6:38 pm

And I must remind you that it was a different time then. There were no rich Christians

• James LonghoferOctober 29, 2010 - 8:53 pm

Mr. Steers, good to hear from you again. We wouldn't have to redeem the IOUs with new taxes if our government hadn't apparently embezzled our money. Sorry, but time to man up (man up, a term currently in vogue by Republicans). America allowed our government to spend it and now American has to pay it back, or guess we could go private accounts and turn our future SS deductions over to Wall Street. And we all know how much Wall Street wants to take care of us in our dotage. Now, the rich man who asked Jesus how he could enter the kingdom of heaven was not a Christian, but Jesus answered him in words that became a bright line message to all future Christians (both rich and poor). Hey, I didn't go to Sunday School for nothing.

• Ken SteersOctober 30, 2010 - 5:47 am

I wouldn't question your faith. I'm not a fan or believe Wall Street would be the answer to anything. Man up and borrowing more money just isn't a reality any more. You keep insulting me and you have never met me. You are a bore sir and I feel sorry for you. As far as running for office and coming out of the shadows I am the elected Chairman of the Republican Party of our county, I have never hid or am afraid of anyone or anything. What have you run for?

• James LonghoferOctober 30, 2010 - 6:55 am

1. What have I run for? There are a number of professions in which I would not be a good fit because they are less than truthful. One of them is politician, so it is unlikely that you will see my candidacy for any office. 2. Can't redeem the Treasury Bills and can't privatize in Wall Street, so your solution is? Slowly drown the baby in the bathtub by increasing age and benefits followed by dissolution of the program? A Republican talking point I've heard many times. 3. I am not insulting you when I say you are a Republican acting as Republicans do. There is no insult there unless you feel that being a Republican is insulting. 4. I might also remind you in our past banter over the months that you are very proficient at throwing insults, so you are not without sin in the insult department. 5. Not afraid or anyone or anything? A boast which indicates you have never been in great danger from anyone or anything. I wish I could say the same. 6. Don't take this so personal because in 100 years we won't remember our Republican/Democrat tiff. In 2110 Placerville will say, "What's a Steers and what's a Longhofer," so our friendly debates will fade away into nothingless. 7. I do find a growing affection for Ken Steers the person, but not Ken Steers the Republican. Sadly, our political beliefs are not congruent.

• R.J. CarterOctober 30, 2010 - 8:04 am

Guys, get a grip!!....I may be just a big, fat, nasty, broke a**, old biker who eats too much red meat, and drinks too much brown liquor, but I don't understand how this election has anything to do with party lines..Let me re-phrase it, this election has NOTHING to do with party lines.. I myself am a staunch Republican, always have been..My next tattoo is going to be Ronald Reagan's face over my heart...And, as a gun owner and motorcycle enthusiast I've suffered through the Dem's BS all my life, but what this election boils down to is right over wrong, good versus evil, corrupt cop over good cop, not Republican vs Democrat ..My best friend is a Democrat and lord knows sometimes I just want to choke him, but we are both D'Agostini supporters..

• James LonghoferOctober 30, 2010 - 8:52 am

RJ, enough said as I'm a Democrat and I've already voted for D'Agostini. Would I be too far out on a limb if I suggest Mr. Steers will be voting for Craig? Yep, I voted for right over wrong, good versus evil, corrupt cop over good cop, so it does reflect party lines. And watch all that red meat you're eating as too much protein will slowly degrade your kidneys as you get older. Reagan's face tattooed over your heart? Oh, sir, you go too far, but heck, why not -- go for it.

• KnowyouropponentOctober 30, 2010 - 10:14 am

Ok. So James voted dagostini and Ken voted therkildsen. U cancelled each other out. As for the rest of the public... Find out who Craig therkildsen really is. He is definately NOT the man for the job. Educate yourself, educate your friends! Www.rejectTherkildsen.com.

• Chuck HollandOctober 30, 2010 - 10:22 am

RJ, are you telling us that as a motorcycle enthusiast you vote? You exercise your second amendment right to bear arms? Sure seems to contradict the message being spoon fed to the voters. Is it just me? Seems like a lot of money is being wasted to trample all over your passion's. D'Agostini supporter here who understands a sheriff represents all walks of life.

• KnowyouropponentOctober 30, 2010 - 10:47 am

Ken, since u are blogging, I have a question for u. I appreciate charitable work, it's wonderful. And I will make it clear now, I am a republican. I hve know therkildsen for many, many years. I am confident when I say he more than lacks a moral compass. In addition to that, he is certainly not able to perform the duties of sheriff. He is a part of the problem at the sheriff office and I believe, his only true passion, is to preserve the good old boys club. So Ken, this brings mee to my question... It appears u loathe the overspending in our government/social security system. With that said, how can u support therkildsen when he has CLEARLY spent BEYOND his means...even with your large donations? I don't understand that. Aren't u upsetthat therkildsen used part of you money to waste on this MMA/hells angels lie? (it is a lie since therkildsen himself said in forum, "I in no way believe dagostini is associated with the hells angels". So he prints one thing/ says another. I don't know about you, but I would b upset he didn't use the money to proye himself, rather than printing a lie...

• KnowyouropponentOctober 30, 2010 - 10:49 am

Sorry. Promote himself rather than print a lie

• James LonghoferOctober 30, 2010 - 3:16 pm

Footnote: Actually I didn't cancel out his vote because I canceled out someone else last week -- I don't remember who, so his vote is still good. Mr. Steers claims in his comment above that I am boring (my comments dull and uninteresting) and he is sorry for me. Obviously he is unaware that I am the most unboring Democrat in El Dorado County, so he need not feel sorry for me. Let me conclude by saying something about Mr. Steers. Mr. Steers is a Republican yet he has a son in the war. Most Republicans support the war, but not for their own children. He has a son serving our country in combat and I give him and his son my deepest admiration and respect. Mr. Steers we don't agree on politics, but we do agree on service to our country in these hard times.

• DeeDeeOctober 30, 2010 - 3:57 pm

Mr. Longhofer you are, as usual, a gentleman. I truly enjoy reading your comments. They always make me think, research and learn. Keep on blogging and thanks to ALL who have served our country in time of war or any time. I agree that this Sheriff's election has nothing to do with your political party. It has to do with integrity and honesty in law enforcement and the entire judicial system for the citizens of El Dorado County or any other county in our great United States. Go D'Agostini!!!! Go Giants!!!!

• James LonghoferOctober 31, 2010 - 8:23 am

It appears this thread has petered out. On to Tuesday -- a most interesting election at the local, state, and federal levels. Who will win, who will lose, the spin of the wheel. VOTE!

• P ColeNovember 01, 2010 - 12:44 pm

I love America and thank you Mt Democrat for the forum to express ones-self, enjoying the bantering between these guys. I agree with DeeDee forget party lines, vote your conscious and vote for the man who you think will be intergrity to our Sheriff's department, Go D'Agostini!!

• KnowyouropponentNovember 01, 2010 - 1:06 pm

New info on www.rejectTherkildsen.com

• Jim GarciaNovember 02, 2010 - 12:14 pm

Ken, It's time to let this one rest, especialy at this date and time when so many folks like Mr.Longhofer and others with thier socialist agendas are preparing for tonights farewell party.

• James LonghoferNovember 02, 2010 - 12:19 pm

No farewell party for me. McClintock will be elected as would be expected in El Dorado County, and Boxer will win as will Jerry Brown. So, two out of three for me, one out of three for you Mr. Garcia. Don't drink too much at your farewell party.

• Jim GarciaNovember 02, 2010 - 11:17 pm

I give you kudos for your ability to use the computer, but if you can get up off your chair and walk over to your television set, it's that thing with those turning knobs and then adjust the rabbit ears you should get reception. Currently, most channels but perhaps not yours, are airing the election results.The map that you see is that of the United Staes of America and yes, California is one of them. You cant miss it unless of course you are also color blind. Can you see RED? As far as prop.19 goes, are you ready to say "Uncle" or are you going to try again.

• James LonghoferNovember 02, 2010 - 11:45 pm

I see a lot of red, but it's in the House of Representatives. The Republican majority in the House can pass hundreds of bills but 98% of them will die in the Senate (still Blue). Two percent will pass if they are reasonable. Given that Republicans have said in recent days their primary goal in the next two years is making sure President Obama doesn't win in 2012, I don't think they are going to be reasonable about anything, ergo little or nothing passed. The Nevada and Delaware ladies lost and only Rand Paul won in Kentucky, so only one Tea Party Senator. Well, two but Rubio is smart enough not to let his mouth run wild. Mr. Paul will get educated by the Republican bulls in the Senate -- Senator Paul, shut up and sit down. Boy, rabbit ears, brings back memories. In 1952 our first TV had rabbit ears and if you moved them around all you got was snow. If you squinted your eyes you could see a cowboy riding across the screen in a heavy snow storm. How far we have come in television. Why would you think I supported Prop. 19? Not many retired Army colonels are pot smokers -- I smoked a pack of cigarettes when I was 16, but decided it was a no go for me. In those days no one knew how dangerous they were to our health so lucky break for me for not taking up the habit. So, in summation, yes I can see the RED in the House, can you see the BLUE in the Senate?

• HangtownNovember 03, 2010 - 6:48 am

Mr. Longhofer, Denial is not a river in Egypt.

• James LonghoferNovember 03, 2010 - 9:10 am

Hangtown, you call it denial, I call it reality. We are in for two years of gridlock. I've been on the Nile river in one of those tiny boats (don't remember the name) and it was quite enjoyable. Boy, Cairo -- you don't want to drive there. And get ready for a big culture shock. It is so different from America.

• James LonghoferNovember 03, 2010 - 1:07 pm

A free hint for those who believe their 2nd Amendment remedy can overthrow the government: Make sure the Army and Air Force are on your side, otherwise you will be less than successful. And failure will not be good for you.

• R.J. CarterNovember 03, 2010 - 1:40 pm

If our government ever does need to be overthrown it will be done solely on the part of our sons and daughters in the military..Us old folks with our Colt "Peacemakers" will only be there for backup.....

• James LonghoferNovember 03, 2010 - 2:36 pm

RJ, you made me laugh. Well, why not -- if civil war is raging why not take a couple of shots.

• James LonghoferNovember 03, 2010 - 2:45 pm

The worst part of the 2010 election is that the pundits will tell us for the next two years what all this means. Of course, they won't know any better than us but they do need to fill up their broadcast time with BS, so woe is us.

• Jim GarciaNovember 03, 2010 - 3:06 pm

Colonel, please accept my apology on the prop.19 shot. It was disrespectful.

• James LonghoferNovember 03, 2010 - 3:09 pm

Mr. Garcia, accepted. You apology impresses me that you are a man to be listened to in our future debates.