Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The rural life: Curiouser and curiouser

It was so odd. It happened about a week ago, during my daily walk. I paused at the top of a hill and watched, dumbfounded, as a skunk hurried by me on the left side of the road, passing me just as a car would. Alert and wily as any wild creature, the skunk had to have seen or smelled me there on the road. Yet he marched right on by without varying his pace or even glancing in my direction.

I felt an eerie déjà vu, not for something from my own past, but for something I remembered from a children’s story. The way that skunk hustled by me was exactly the way the White Rabbit hustled past Alice just before they both tumbled down the hole into Wonderland (in Lewis Carroll’s classic 1865 novel). The skunk had no waistcoat or pocket watch, but he was hurrying along in the same single-minded way, sticking to the road as if he knew it was the quickest route from where he’d been to where he was going.

I could almost imagine him muttering to himself (“Oh, dear! Oh, dear! I shall be late!”) and reaching for his watch.

Mesmerized, I stared after him as long as I could, until he crested the next rise and dipped out of sight. Then I hurried on to the top of the rise myself in an attempt to get another glimpse, wondering if he would stick to the road long enough for me to do so.

He did. At the top of the rise, I spotted him halfway up the next hill, still on his side of the road, still hurrying. For no good reason, I began to imagine him as a her, anxious to reach her burrow and see what mischief the little ones had gotten into in her absence. The skunk had become Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, subject of the Beatrix Potter children’s book of the same name, published in 1905. The vision included an apron and striped petticoat, a little white cap, and the skunk’s nose “sniffle, sniffle, snuffling” as she rushed up the road.

At this point, I should clarify that I had ingested nothing before my walk that afternoon other than my usual pick-me-up cup of coffee. These curious notions entered my mind for no reason other than the skunk’s odd behavior. (And, I might add, because conjuring them up was fun.)

I race-walked to the top of the next rise, winding myself, but the skunk was nowhere to be seen. I couldn’t tell if he’d darted off the road and into burrow or culvert, or was now just so far ahead that I could no longer catch sight of him.

Deflated, I continued on for my usual distance, then turned back for home. Daylight was fading, and I was pondering how I would share this bizarre skunk encounter in my next column, when something brought me up short.

It was diluted skunk-smell, the sort that’s not at all offensive, and in fact reminds me of the aroma of boutique coffee beans. (Go figure.) I was catapulted into a third children’s book, “The Wind in the Willows,” Kenneth Grahame’s 1908 classic. I became Mole, only instead of catching a whiff of my old underground burrow, as he does, I was sniffing evidence that perhaps my skunk friend had left the road somewhere near this spot and found shelter.

For a moment, I wished I could indeed be like Mole, and follow my nose to find what I was scenting. Then I snapped to, realizing that stunt — assuming it were possible — would likely only result in my getting skunk-sprayed. (But not necessarily bitten. Contrary to popular belief, not all skunks appearing in the daytime are rabid. Some are just searching for food. Often to feed offspring.)

With that thought, I’m back in Beatrix Potter-land, imagining the skunk as a diligent, nurturing mother-creature. Perhaps I’ll see one of her babies someday.

I’m anthropomorphizing, I know. So sue me.

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer, a biweekly columnist with the Mountain Democrat, favored skunks less when her dogs kept getting sprayed. How about you? Leave a comment online, or contact her at jfmfeedback@earthlink.net.

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer is an award-winning journalist and author with three published books to her credit. Currently she is a senior editor with Horse & Rider magazine. Jennifer lives in rural Latrobe with her husband, Hank; their daughter, Sophie Elene; and the family’s assorted animals.

• robertdnollNovember 08, 2013 - 3:33 am

very good

• maryanitaNovember 09, 2013 - 4:33 am

Love your little tale! I can see that pocket watch and the apron clearly. Really enjoyed slipping back in the past with you! You're a great writer and I so enjoy your articles. Thank you.

• J.F. MeyerNovember 09, 2013 - 4:38 pm

Robertdnoll and Maryanita, thank you so much for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the story. All 100% true.

• robertdnollNovember 09, 2013 - 6:32 pm

of course your story was true,thank you and please continue to give us more.You warm our hearts

• cookie65November 11, 2013 - 6:20 am

This time of year skunks forage the bottom of trees, right at the base of the trunk looking for grubs, wood beetle larvae and other such edibles. The dirt next to the base of the tree will be turned up around the entire circumference of the tree. The best rule of thumb is to assume any skunk you see in daylight is rabid.

• MartinNovember 11, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Your story reminds me of a time that I was traveling down a road in my pickup when a skunk ran out in front of me and started down the road in the same direction, I followed him for at least a quarter mile when he decided that enough was enough he ran over to the side of the road lifted his tail and let me have it. He scented the whole side of my truck with a sticky waxy type stench. You were lucky that he didn’t get you.

• J.F. MeyerNovember 12, 2013 - 6:50 am

Hmmm, Martin. Sounds as if your skunk was less Beatrix Potter and more Power Ranger. Sorry about that.

EDH Fire Dept. annexing Latrobe

Lover’s Leap fall injures man

By Tahoe Tribune | From Page: A1

Tea Party meeting April 17

By Tea Party Patriots Of El Dorado Hills | From Page: A3, 46 Comments

Town Hall Meeting on Underage Drinking May 1

By El Dorado Hills Community Vision Coalition | From Page: A6

Floating body not a body

Old mill a goner

By Dawn Hodson | From Page: A11, 11 Comments | Gallery

A great big thanks

Murder? Suicide?

‘Drive Clean’

Middle class getting poorer?

Real estate lies

Outside with Charlie: Switch gear

Ponderosa volleyball is a family affair

Aussie team makes visit

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A8

Griz have challenging day

Roundup: April 15, 2014

At a glance: Take aim on fun

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B2

Men to walk a mile in her shoes

By Center For Violence-Free Relationships | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Runners stampede for Sugarloaf scholarships

By El Dorado County Office of Education | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Team works to fight disease

By Placerville Kiwanis | From Page: B3