Monday, April 21, 2014

The rural life: Curiouser and curiouser

It was so odd. It happened about a week ago, during my daily walk. I paused at the top of a hill and watched, dumbfounded, as a skunk hurried by me on the left side of the road, passing me just as a car would. Alert and wily as any wild creature, the skunk had to have seen or smelled me there on the road. Yet he marched right on by without varying his pace or even glancing in my direction.

I felt an eerie déjà vu, not for something from my own past, but for something I remembered from a children’s story. The way that skunk hustled by me was exactly the way the White Rabbit hustled past Alice just before they both tumbled down the hole into Wonderland (in Lewis Carroll’s classic 1865 novel). The skunk had no waistcoat or pocket watch, but he was hurrying along in the same single-minded way, sticking to the road as if he knew it was the quickest route from where he’d been to where he was going.

I could almost imagine him muttering to himself (“Oh, dear! Oh, dear! I shall be late!”) and reaching for his watch.

Mesmerized, I stared after him as long as I could, until he crested the next rise and dipped out of sight. Then I hurried on to the top of the rise myself in an attempt to get another glimpse, wondering if he would stick to the road long enough for me to do so.

He did. At the top of the rise, I spotted him halfway up the next hill, still on his side of the road, still hurrying. For no good reason, I began to imagine him as a her, anxious to reach her burrow and see what mischief the little ones had gotten into in her absence. The skunk had become Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, subject of the Beatrix Potter children’s book of the same name, published in 1905. The vision included an apron and striped petticoat, a little white cap, and the skunk’s nose “sniffle, sniffle, snuffling” as she rushed up the road.

At this point, I should clarify that I had ingested nothing before my walk that afternoon other than my usual pick-me-up cup of coffee. These curious notions entered my mind for no reason other than the skunk’s odd behavior. (And, I might add, because conjuring them up was fun.)

I race-walked to the top of the next rise, winding myself, but the skunk was nowhere to be seen. I couldn’t tell if he’d darted off the road and into burrow or culvert, or was now just so far ahead that I could no longer catch sight of him.

Deflated, I continued on for my usual distance, then turned back for home. Daylight was fading, and I was pondering how I would share this bizarre skunk encounter in my next column, when something brought me up short.

It was diluted skunk-smell, the sort that’s not at all offensive, and in fact reminds me of the aroma of boutique coffee beans. (Go figure.) I was catapulted into a third children’s book, “The Wind in the Willows,” Kenneth Grahame’s 1908 classic. I became Mole, only instead of catching a whiff of my old underground burrow, as he does, I was sniffing evidence that perhaps my skunk friend had left the road somewhere near this spot and found shelter.

For a moment, I wished I could indeed be like Mole, and follow my nose to find what I was scenting. Then I snapped to, realizing that stunt — assuming it were possible — would likely only result in my getting skunk-sprayed. (But not necessarily bitten. Contrary to popular belief, not all skunks appearing in the daytime are rabid. Some are just searching for food. Often to feed offspring.)

With that thought, I’m back in Beatrix Potter-land, imagining the skunk as a diligent, nurturing mother-creature. Perhaps I’ll see one of her babies someday.

I’m anthropomorphizing, I know. So sue me.

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer, a biweekly columnist with the Mountain Democrat, favored skunks less when her dogs kept getting sprayed. How about you? Leave a comment online, or contact her at jfmfeedback@earthlink.net.

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer

Jennifer Forsberg Meyer is an award-winning journalist and author with three published books to her credit. Currently she is a senior editor with Horse & Rider magazine. Jennifer lives in rural Latrobe with her husband, Hank; their daughter, Sophie Elene; and the family’s assorted animals.

• robertdnollNovember 08, 2013 - 3:33 am

very good

• maryanitaNovember 09, 2013 - 4:33 am

Love your little tale! I can see that pocket watch and the apron clearly. Really enjoyed slipping back in the past with you! You're a great writer and I so enjoy your articles. Thank you.

• J.F. MeyerNovember 09, 2013 - 4:38 pm

Robertdnoll and Maryanita, thank you so much for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the story. All 100% true.

• robertdnollNovember 09, 2013 - 6:32 pm

of course your story was true,thank you and please continue to give us more.You warm our hearts

• cookie65November 11, 2013 - 6:20 am

This time of year skunks forage the bottom of trees, right at the base of the trunk looking for grubs, wood beetle larvae and other such edibles. The dirt next to the base of the tree will be turned up around the entire circumference of the tree. The best rule of thumb is to assume any skunk you see in daylight is rabid.

• MartinNovember 11, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Your story reminds me of a time that I was traveling down a road in my pickup when a skunk ran out in front of me and started down the road in the same direction, I followed him for at least a quarter mile when he decided that enough was enough he ran over to the side of the road lifted his tail and let me have it. He scented the whole side of my truck with a sticky waxy type stench. You were lucky that he didn’t get you.

• J.F. MeyerNovember 12, 2013 - 6:50 am

Hmmm, Martin. Sounds as if your skunk was less Beatrix Potter and more Power Ranger. Sorry about that.

Air quality rating up in the air

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1

GDPUD: Budget and GM are top topics

Mountain lion seen in Placerville

CTE a pathway to higher wages, higher-demand jobs

Heard over the back fence: Earth Day at the library

New top 10 fugitive could be in area

By News Release | From Page: A3

Community Action Council seeks new member

By Health and Human Services Agency | From Page: A3

Rattlesnake Avoidance Clinics May 3-4

By Hangtown Kennel | From Page: A9

Retain Joe Harn as auditor

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A4, 59 Comments

Belltower: El Niño or el nada?

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A4, 1 Comment | Gallery

The balancing act: Save the whales

By Larry Weitzman | From Page: A4, 71 Comments

Local petitions circulating

Chess club

True Christian

Tell the truth, don’t confuse voters

All Star team shows competive balance

By Special to the Democrat | From Page: A6

Australian rugby team visits Cameron park

Roundup: Cougars drop finale

Red hot Rico Abreu blazes to victory

Schedule: April 21-26, 2014

Sports Scene: April 20, 2014

Rains to present at AMA conference

By David Albee | From Page: A7

As we were: Supervisors can’t decide

By Ken Deibert | From Page: B2

Spend time in River City

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Time to enter El Dorado County Fair

By El Dorado County Fair | From Page: B3

Cantare Chorale seeks new director

By Cantare Chorale | From Page: B3

Help with healthcare decisions

By Snowline Hospice Thrift Stores | From Page: B3

Volunteers needed for day of service

By Mimi Escabar | From Page: B10