Friday, April 18, 2014

The weekly Daley: Adieu and ciao for now

From page A4 | September 06, 2013 | 9 Comments

A few final observations from three weeks in Italy and France. No particular order or priority informs this collection.

Almost without exception, in Paris and especially in Venice and Florence, police officers patrolled in pairs, and even threesomes were not at all unusual. Picture a street 10 feet wide or three-plus meters to be more accurate. Sidewalks take up 15 inches or so on each side. A little Fiat rolls along the cobblestones with two larger than average Italians filling the front seats. Often there was another officer in the back seat. Same out on the larger streets and piazzas. Two or three cops, usually one of them a woman, wearing snazzy blue uniforms with white holsters and white helmets on top.

I never saw them having to take any official action other than one time in Florence when they wrote some notes when two very agitated women were telling about something that must have happened and pointing down the narrow street. The officers didn’t give chase, and after a minute or two everyone shook hands and went about their business. There are lots of different police agencies too. Municipal police, regional and state or national police such as Carabinieri in Italy and the Foreign Legion in France. Then there are museum police, waterway police and gelato police and police who police the driveways to the police stations. Pretty much like here when you think about it.

In fact, the only person in all of Europe who gave me a bad attitude was a museum guard in the Musee d’Orsay in Paris. She was sitting in her chair doing something with her cell phone, maybe playing a game or texting her kids. I stood respectfully at a short distance waiting for her to acknowledge me. She didn’t, just kept messing with the phone. Ahem, Pardon moi, I said in my very best Parisian accent.

“QUOI?” she fairly shouted at me as she tore her gaze away from her device. “WHAT?”

“Please, can you direct me to the escalator that goes up to the next level of the musee, here?” I said in my now fairly shaky French.

She pointed vaguely and growled what sounded like “Go over there and turn the other way” and went back to her phone. We found the escalator and made it to the next floor after asking somebody else.

Florence has a fabulous farmers market — likewise do Paris and Venice, more than one in fact. It’s permanent and open every day and takes up a huge building near the train station. You can get about every kind of fruit, vegetable, beer, wine, pastry, pasta, candy, meat, fish, fowl, olive oil and a clean bathroom for one Euro.

One butcher shop also had a few tables and chairs for diners buying straight from the shop. The first time we were there, I noticed a menu with a picture of something that looked kind of like pinkish stew. It was “tripas.” Tripe in English. I thought, I’m going to come back tomorrow and have some of that. And I did, and it was pretty good. I passed on the “lampredotto” which I mistakenly interpreted as “lamprey” or eel (my Italian dictionary didn’t have the word). Turns out, “lampredotto” is simply the meat (or guts or viscera) from the fourth stomach of the cow — tripe of a different stripe.

At lunch in Paris one day, after a hard morning of wandering around, we stopped at a cool-looking restaurant with a large outdoor dining area. It was kind of a three-star place by the looks of it, and the prices were kind of steep for lunch, but we were hungry and tired. It was actually a French version of a Basque restaurant and featured a lot of Spanish dishes too.

I ordered a lunch special, sardines with some vegetables and potatoes. I love grilled sardines the way they do them in Europe, fresh off the boat. Georgette ordered the very special and elegant Basque mountain beef. It was 17 Euros, call it $22.50 that day. Out came her plate with four flat, thin slices of meat (2 ounces I’d guess) and a couple of green beans. I snickered inwardly (but of course, nyah, nyah like the Pink Panther or Pepe LePew would snicker) waiting for my freshly grilled, succulent sardines. And then they were there in front of me. Luscious vegetables, perfect potatoes and a can of sardines in oil — just like you’d get on the grocery aisle with the tuna and canned chicken.

I wasn’t snickering quite as heartily, but I figured it makes a good story and it was only 9 Euros. An American tourist passed our table on her way out, glanced down at my plate, looked at me and grimaced, “French cuisine?” she whispered with a wink and hurried along.

Getting off the overnight train from Paris to Venice at 10 in the morning we stumbled out to the quai and tried to figure out the best way to get to the hotel. Silly us, we hadn’t bothered to check its location assuming a taxi or boat would get us there. The waterbus was packed like my can of sardines, and of course we didn’t know its schedule and didn’t know where we were going anyway. The guy at the watertaxi stand flashed an honest smile. I said the name of the hotel in my best Italian. He said, “Bene,” meaning “sure, fine, no problem” and hollered down to the boat driver.

We got aboard. Venetian water taximen take great pride in their boats, mostly wooden, highly varnished and sharp as can be. I repeated the name of the hotel, and off we went. We went down the Grand Canal for a couple of minutes. Then he stopped and got on his phone and jabbered some. He said he didn’t know where the hotel was, so he turned around and went back toward the train station. He stopped again and I handed him the hotel documents (with address) I had handy. He studied them awhile, made another call and turned around again and went back in the original direction. We putted slowly along while he looked for an intersecting canal or river or whatever. He made another call.

As we passed under the Rialto bridge, arguably the most famous bridge in all Italy, I looked to our left and saw the hotel’s sign, a black cluster of grapes on a white background, and pointed excitedly for him to look. The damn sign was about five feet above the taxi landing station, 20 feet from the damn famous Rialto bridge. With a big show of surprise he pulled into the taxi dock, handed up our bags and said “50 Euros.”

I paid him and even gave him a little tip. I was tired after riding all night on the train and didn’t have my wits about me. From the dock it was about 100 feet down a narrow alley to the hotel. Well that was a cavallo on me. When we left a few days later, we knew just how to use the waterbus to get back to the train station, thence the bus to the airport. The waterbus tickets cost about six Euros apiece and would have been good for a couple of more trips. The hotel guy said a watertaxi would cost 100 Euros or more to get to the airport. Ha, fat chance.

I mentioned elevators a few weeks ago. The one in Florence went from the second floor to our hotel on the fourth. It was so narrow I could barely stand without getting my shoulders wedged between the walls. We had to take turns going up or down when carrying our bags and couldn’t both get in wearing backpacks. It worked every time though.

The one at our Paris apartment building went roughly from the second level 10 or 12 steps above the entrance landing to almost the sixth. We were above the sixth about 20 steps from where the elevator stopped. The elevator was great the first day. The second day it stopped working. It stopped working all that day and the next. I e-mailed the apartment owner who lives in Avignon and described the situation. I told him, just in case he didn’t know — it’s 109 old narrow wooden stairs spiraling down and 1,009 even older, narrower, ancient wooden stairs spiraling back up. He wrote back and said the repair company was on it. And by the end of the second broken day, it was fixed.

In Venice, we stayed on the fifth floor of the hotel. Sans elevator, it was 55 narrow, old stairs up and down. Fortunately, the hotel had a couple of young bellboy-cum-waiters cum-whatevers who were spry and strong enough to tote some heavy luggage up and down, although they did have to stop and rest half-way.

Broken elevators, pay-to-pee lavatoires, lampredotto, scurvy watertaximen, train doors that don’t open and have to be ripped apart by Andre and me — I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness,” Mark Twain said.

You got that right Mark.

Note: Many thanks to Cathy Conner at Hangtown Travel for some of the better travel arrangements.

Chris Daley is a staff writer and columnist for the Mountain Democrat. His column appears each Friday.

• James E.September 04, 2013 - 7:26 pm

The French Foreign Legion is not a national police force. It is an elite fighting force which the Legionnaires see as their family. Stormin' Norman told the story that the Legionnaires gave him a card which said: "If you are in trouble anywhere in the world call this number. We will come and get you." Now, that's an elite fighting force.

• R.J. CarterSeptember 04, 2013 - 9:38 pm

Wow James, It's too bad Ambassador Chris Stevens didn't have one of those fancy Legionnaires cards saying "If you are in trouble anywhere in the world call this number, we will come and get you" ...Instead he had rely on Obama & Hilliary....

• James E.September 04, 2013 - 11:19 pm

Benghazi, so much bitterness that Hillary and the president may have gotten away with something. Along with the IRS, and the NSA, all three fade into the fog causing extreme indigestion for many. Bye, it's bedtime for old guys.

• cookie65September 06, 2013 - 7:05 am

James, doesn't a chemical attack in some far away place that the whitehouse may have been aware of 3 days prior carried out by the rebels and not the government make for a nice distraction? I hope you never see thru the fog James. At this point the TRUTH may be too much for you. Wasn't the French "Foreign" Legion originally made up of foreigners shanghaied to fight for France?

• R.J. CarterSeptember 06, 2013 - 7:50 am

Cookie...I really wouldn't expect a coherent answer from the Col. concerning Benghazi, the NSA or the IRS this early in the morning.....From what I've noticed he likes to wake up kinda slowly, most often around the crack of noon....Then, of course he'll first need a hefty plate of scramble egg whites, dry toast and a spot of Earl Gray Tea, before he's off to his morning pilates class....All must be accomplished before he can even begin to gather his MSNBC talking points together and start posting.... LOL....Just having a little fun with ya James!!...

• James E.September 06, 2013 - 8:36 am

R.J., no problem. But, to set the record straight, it's 8:36AM, not noon, and I don't do egg whites (all the nutrition is in the york), and I'm a coffee guy, not a tea guy. I am, however, a liberal who watches MSNBC and Fox News.

• cookie65September 06, 2013 - 8:37 am

R.J. it takes all of about 1/2 second to observe the tactic James employs. It is very common to a particular political ideology. The tactic involves dismissing, ignoring, overlooking and failing to recognize the mountain of evidence and any question that are uncomfortable to answer regarding the abysmal record of leftism. You can ask him questions all day long about the failures and corruption surrounding this and every other leftist administration and he will just blame everyone else for the results of obama's policies. It is quite spectacular to witness how someone is willing to reject reality in the face of overwhelming evidence. I call it pretzel logic.

• James E.September 06, 2013 - 8:38 am

*** yolk

• R.J. CarterSeptember 06, 2013 - 8:50 am

Cookie, as always your spot on....James for me all it takes a blueberry poptart and a cup of Cafe' Bustelo and I'll ready to rock...Eggs give me the gout...

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 8 Comments | Gallery

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 4 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 8 Comments

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 6 Comments

Evacuation

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15