Friday, April 18, 2014

The weekly Daley: Some thoughts I’ve thought about

From page A4 | January 17, 2014 | 40 Comments

A guy in Florida shoots another guy for texting in a movie theater during the previews, before the main attraction. Evidently it bothered the alleged shooter so much that he felt compelled to pull his hardware and allegedly plug the other guy. The NRA would, of course, suggest that if everyone in the movie house had been armed and ready, the shooter wouldn’t have shot or at least would have been plugged himself soon thereafter — thereby preventing him from ever plugging another inconsiderate texter, probably. Hard to argue with that, if you’re dull normal or below.

Now the other side of the coin is that, if everyone had been armed, half of them might have been sympathetic to the texter who was allegedly texting his daughter’s babysitter, maybe on a matter of urgency. Meanwhile the other half might have sided with the alleged shooter, that is just “up to here” with rude texters in public places like darkened movie houses. Then it could have turned into the “Gunfight at the Not So OK Movie House in Florida.”

Then a kid in New Mexico, 12 brings a shotgun to school and shoots fellow students, a girl and a boy. One is in stable condition and the other is still in critical condition, last I heard. Now if everyone at the school had been armed, of course, things might have turned out differently. The kids might have got the drop on him before he could fire. The custodian might have pulled his hogleg and unloaded on the kid when he came into the hallway, or the campus security person, (think volunteer parent yard duty) might have drawn down and blown the kid away before he even got to the hallway. There would have been an extensive investigation, but then there’s going to be one anyway, just fewer people involved. If that had indeed happened, it would have been a sad and tragic ending to the story. As it is, it’s a sad and tragic non-ending to the story.

•••

My brother the conservative asked me the other day whether I thought the N.S.A. leaker Edward Snowden was a traitor or a hero-patriot.

“Good question!” I said. “It’s one I’ve thought about, and I just don’t have an answer that feels right,” I admitted.

He didn’t either which makes it a very interesting question, and issue. No matter what, I think the guy did it the wrong way. Initially, I thought, well he’s a bad guy for spilling all those beans. Then I thought, those were beans that needed to be spilled, so he’s not a bad guy at all. Then I thought, well it’s not good for our country to get caught with our hands in all those cookie jars. Then I thought, it’s not good to have our hands in all those cookie jars — and getting caught is a reasonable price to be paid for it.

Then I re-thought all of those thoughts and more, and I still don’t have an answer that feels right. But, I’m beginning to lean toward “hero-patriot-scoundrel.” I’m afraid it will take a generation of philosophers, psychiatrists, sociologists and then some to find the needle in that haystack. But, it is a kind of bipartisan issue in that neither side really knows what to do with it.

•••

And speaking of bipartisan stuff, how about that “omnibus budget” thing the House of Representatives passed this week? It was 359-67, according to what I read. Now it goes to the Senate, by today, if I’m not mistaken. I honestly don’t know how they actually did it. Must be something wrong. Colorado water in the House drinking fountains? Kumbaya playing on the elevator Muzak?

But our very own Tom McClintock kept consistency alive and well. One of the 67 no votes, he sent me a copy of the speech he made to the House prior to the vote. I’m on his special e-mail address list, so I get all of his press releases, maybe most of you do too, but I like to think it’s special to me. I’ve met and interviewed him a couple of times. He’s a nice guy as arch-Conservatives go.

Tom didn’t like the part where they gave a billion for the Head Start program, basically said it wasn’t proven to be effective. He also didn’t like giving a raise to the disabled vets without giving one to other vets, which I kind of agree with. But then he went off on some tangents about frivolous spending in general that I’m not even sure I understood, which isn’t all that unusual when I read Tom’s special e-mails to me. The bottom line is, however, this is a district that has some right smart people in it, people I don’t necessarily agree with always, if ever, and I’m not sure we’re being represented as comprehensively as we ought to be. There’s more nuance at play than Tom seems to acknowledge and maybe more, dare I say it, need for compromise?

I had a bunch of other thoughts as well, but I think I’m about thought-out for now.

p.s. I found out Wednesday that Managing Editor Patrick Ibarra is a Seattle Seahawks fan. Being from Washington that’s not out of line. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool 49ers fan of course but I’m picking up a pattern here of me being sideways with my boss. Next time: If there is a next time, some other thoughts.

Chris Daley is a staff writer and columnist for the Mountain Democrat. His column appears each Friday.

• Phil VeerkampJanuary 16, 2014 - 2:36 pm

Chris, I read through your gun thoughts, you Snowden ambivalence, your McClintock musings in a state of drowsy disinterest. But I snapped to full attention over the Ibarra intel. From time to time I used to gripe to Mr. Ibarra. No more. The Seahawks suck. Will you be my middleman, Chris?

• EvelynJanuary 16, 2014 - 3:06 pm

R.J. Carter supports the Seahawks. GO, SEAHAWKS!!!

• R.J. CarterJanuary 16, 2014 - 3:30 pm

Phil......Your sister's completely out of control......GO NINERS!!!!....

• EvelynJanuary 16, 2014 - 3:53 pm

RJ: I beg you, don't summons Phil. I'll do anything you say ........ GO NINERS!!!

• Oh BrotherJanuary 17, 2014 - 8:05 am

Evelyn - no hex's please!!! Go San Francisco 49ers!

• Phil VeerkampJanuary 16, 2014 - 4:10 pm

R.J., prove that this "Evelyn" tart is my sister.

• cookie65January 17, 2014 - 5:53 am

Here is the logic of the left. The movie producer who has made millions and millions from some of the most violent gun movies plans to make a movie about the NRA and said, "They’re going to wish they weren’t alive." By the way, the guy in the movie theatre was the retired police chief. So I guess we should disarm the police? NOT ONE SINGLE GUN HAS EVER COMMITED A CRIME. http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/01/16/pulp-fiction-producer-harvey-weinstein-to-take-on-nra-in-new-film-theyre-going-to-wish-they-werent-alive/

• cookie65January 17, 2014 - 9:03 am

Some thoughts that have never occurred to you.... The cost per "green job" is astronomical... the cost per ocommycare enrollee is astronomical... the cost per stimulus (shovel ready) job is astronomical... the cost for the war on poverty is greater than the national debt.... the cost of public sector pensions and healthcare is astronomical... the cost of buying votes for the left with money stolen for those who earn it could very well collapse this country's economy.

• cookie65January 17, 2014 - 9:05 am

stolen **from**

• Tom GibneyJanuary 17, 2014 - 9:27 am

Mr. Daley's thoughts on Guns are sophomoric at best and biased of course. First off, anybody who has a CCW permit is well scrutinized prior to obtaining that permit. Hence a their would be no OK corral scenario. The person who shoots in the theatre because of texting obviously had some issues even as a former Police officer with a good career. PTSD of sorts... ? As for the child who brought in a shotgun of course had issues. one might look at the parents who had the gun as to why it was not locked up with the others. If you have kids, you need to be responsible for them. Finally, Edward Snowden is a grey area. While shining the light on the NSA and the current Admins love of spying on us is a good thing, there are of course some things that need to be kept under wraps. My brother recently did a documentary movie on Julian Assange called "We Steal Secrets" It noted that Assange while exposing national and international secrets may be some what a hero he is not of good character , aside from being a rapist, he is perhaps egotistic and somewhat mentally unbalanced. Snowden on the other hand may be a better Anti-Hero than Assange (Not being a rapist and all). As for Seattle...no thanks! GO NINERS!

• James E.January 17, 2014 - 10:56 am

If Snowden is declared a hero, then all those holding security clearances are free to disclose secrets harmful to the security of the United States. I suggest he be declared a hero and sentenced to thirty years, as was the soldier recently sentenced.

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 4:26 pm

Is Snowden the "flexibility" obama was speaking of?

• annoyedJanuary 17, 2014 - 5:56 pm

The Florida movie theater shooter was a retired 70 year old police officer. A highly trained screened pensioned citizen who spent 40 years protecting the citizens of his community. He's a nut job? YES. But he's not the poster child of who should not have guns. I don't think police officer's will support taking their guns away after retirement. They have spent their lives making enemies of criminals who don't follow the rules. Feel good libs like Daley tend to not think things through very well. My solution is to make texting in theaters illegal.

• BVGJanuary 17, 2014 - 7:14 pm

everyone that enters a movie theater should be subject to the "wand" and strip searched if necessary...

• Tom GibneyJanuary 17, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Well in places like Oakland or maybe Compton...or even Detroit...But seriously, The retired cop is a rarity. 9 out of 10 times it is somebody who should not have a gun and the one they have is not theirs. Bu the real issue is a mental check. There are millions of responsible gun owners out there. "Millions". The problem is they all get stabbed by the left when some dipstick who shouldn't have a gun goes off the rail. We could debate this back and forth however, Obama and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi I do believe have people with guns protecting them...Such a tough decision...Damn where is Goebbels when ya need him?! Oh wait, lets call Harvey Weinstein!

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 6:00 am

Aurora Colorado... There were 7 theatres showing the batman movie and the nut job chose the only one that was a gun-free zone. He brought them in through an exit door in the theatre. The theatre he chose wasn't even the closest one to his residence. He selected it knowing his VICTIMS would be unarmed. That is generally the definition of victim; those who are unarmed. Disarming law abiding citizens turns them into subjects.

• Confused libitardJanuary 18, 2014 - 12:49 pm

So your point is that the shootings in Aurora would not have occurred if every theatre was not in a gun free zone? Or, are you saying everyone killed in the shooting only had themselves to blame since they chose a theatre in a gun free zone? Or are you saying that if everyone killed had been armed, then this would have been a victimless crime.

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 4:32 pm

You are confused. Typical of heads of cabbage, you read stuff that isn't there. It is dinky's response to everyone. dinky also likes to put words in people's mouth. I was simply stating fact. The difficulty doesn't exist with anything I said, the difficulty exists with your complete inability to draw any of your own conclusions based on repeated facts without those who do your thinking for you telling you what to believe. You're not a useful idiot for no reason.

• Hopefully soon to be less confused libitardJanuary 18, 2014 - 5:30 pm

OK, let me see if I have this straight. I am a cabbage head because the conclusions I suggested based on the facts you presented were not the correct conclusions. Please enlighten me as to the correct conclusion.

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 6:10 pm

Ask James what a "soft" target is.

• Doomed to be confusedJanuary 18, 2014 - 7:31 pm

Hmm... You continually belittle those who disagree with you as being unable to think for themselves. I suppose I could take the time to ask James to clarify your position, but how could I be sure James would truly articulate your ideas?

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 3:43 am

Again, you read something that isn't there. I didn't say James would clarify my position, I said for you to ask him what a "soft" target is. What do all these mass shooters have in common? They all chose "soft" targets. Why did they do that?

• MartinJanuary 19, 2014 - 8:38 am

You hit the nail on the head,” no guns allowed”. Great place to murder a bunch of unarmed citizens.

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 6:11 am

This should help Mr. Daley write his next column. ABC news is offering assistance for those or you who aren't sure how to celebrate flotus 50th birthday. Who would have ever dreamed out media could have become so corrupted. The same media is still paying people to dig thru Sarah Palin's trash. There is a reason American's have become so dumb down and ignorant. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/01/50-ways-to-celebrate-michelle-obamas-birthday/

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 8:06 am

According to a survey from the Wall Street Journal 89% of the people who have enrolled in ocommycare were already insured. The outright idiocy of the left is staggering.

• down with libsJanuary 18, 2014 - 8:37 am

Wait stop Cookie your confusing everybody. (including me). YOU said it was the lemmings who were benefitting from Oba.macare. And YOU said the people with insurance could not get it. REMEMBER C'mon if you want me to follow you stop being so hypocritical like the libtards say you are. Those moron leftists!

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 9:03 am

Where did I say any of those things? Look for more of this as well. A county in Oregon where the website still doesn't work is going to sign up the jail inmates for obamacare. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/01/obamacare_will_change_the_way_1.html

• rodJanuary 18, 2014 - 11:00 am

Mr. Daley, perhaps you should just quit 'thinking'... and spare us all.

• cookie65January 18, 2014 - 4:40 pm

Rod, you and I both know there was no thinking going on in order to produce this. This is just carrying water for the left and pushing what ever the leftist media narrative is. You could probably find various renditions of this all across the country. Different words same exact theme.

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 5:31 am

The fraud coming from the obama regime is so bad the lapdog leftists at the Washington Post are forced to expose their lofo readers to reality. A position they do not appreciate being put in. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/01/16/warning-ignore-claims-that-3-9-million-people-signed-up-for-medicaid-because-of-obamacare/

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 8:37 am

ocommycare in Oregon is a colossal failure. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/109571-oregons-obamacare-exchange-hasnt-enrolled-one-person-dem-governor-ignored-failure-warnings/

• James E.January 19, 2014 - 9:09 am

A soft target is people and unarmed or lightly armed vehicles and houses. A hard target is armored vehicles or tanks or concrete bunkers.

• Thankfully no longer confused libitardJanuary 19, 2014 - 9:34 am

Now I see the light! In order to escape becoming the victim of a gun toting whack-a-doodle, we just need to become "hard" targets. Sounds good to me, after all we can always continue to blog on the MD. What more could we ever want? Thanks Cookie, via James.

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 9:36 am

Thank you James. Now if you would, please explain to doomed to be confused why someone hellbent on causing harm and mayhem would choose a "soft" target in order to inflict as much damage as possible.

• Reformed libitardJanuary 19, 2014 - 1:58 pm

I get it, it is rock-paper-scissors for grown ups. Knife beats popcorn, pistol beats knife, machine gun beats pistol. Lock and load, let's rock and roll!

• cookie65January 19, 2014 - 4:36 pm

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! you still don't get it. What does GUN-FREE ZONE say to someone who has every intention of harming as many innocent people as possible? Think! Think! Think!... Why would you require our most innocent to be captive inside of a shooting gallery with zero means of protection? The compassionate left does exactly that.

• James E.January 19, 2014 - 9:12 am

Shoot away.

• James E.January 19, 2014 - 10:14 am

Well Cookie, obvious that a pistol wouldn't do much harm to a tank or a concrete bunker. But, a pistol could do a bunch of harm to people texting and eating popcorn in the theater.

• go to the lightJanuary 19, 2014 - 6:08 pm

On one hand, a tank against a pistol seems hopeless. After over 300,000 were corralled in Warsaw and summarily executed in Treblinka. The remaining Jews armed with pistols and Molotov cocktails fought to their deaths. It is debated that if the Jews had resisted 2 years earlier the outcome would have been much different. But today there's not too many people in the USA who have been assaulted by tanks. Now a pistol works as a fine personal defense weaapon against someone with a knife http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/25/robber-brings-knife-to-pizza-delivery-heist-but-dominos-guy-has-a-gun/

• expert shotJanuary 27, 2014 - 3:56 pm

It works great with a guy shooting a machine gun in a theater also, one will placed round would of stopped him in his tracts.

Goodbye LUPPU, hello LRPU

By Chris Daley | From Page: A1, 2 Comments

Past due state taxes bring arrest

By Cole Mayer | From Page: A1, 1 Comment

Sanford trial: Prosecution, defense rest

Woman, dog back from Oso

By Wendy Schultz | From Page: A1, 6 Comments | Gallery

DA candidate to remain on ballot

Dog talk with Uncle Matty: Benji and the Bickersons

By Matthew Margolis | From Page: A10

CPCSD seat unfilled

Lew Uhler backs Ranalli

By News Release | From Page: A14, 1 Comment

Something to think about: Teach your children well

Retain Bill Schultz as Recorder-Clerk

By Mountain Democrat | From Page: A6, 4 Comments

District 4 candidate

Open meetings

Volunteers and homeless camps

Bicycle events and traffic control

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A7, 1 Comment

Evacuation

Jennings wins national title

By Democrat Staff | From Page: A11, 1 Comment | Gallery

Savannah Stephens can swing the bat

King of the West roars into Placerville

First and goal: Bunt etiquette

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Oak Ridge suffers tough 2-1 setback

By Mike Bush | From Page: A11

Roundup: April 17, 2014

Plantastic sale this Saturday

Spring art brightens government center

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B2 | Gallery

Things to do: April 18, 2014

By Democrat Calendar | From Page: B2

Time out: A grand time at Grand China

By Earle Camembert | From Page: B3 | Gallery

Temple Kol Shalom hosts Passover Seder

By News Release | From Page: B3

Student art featured for Third Saturday

By News Release | From Page: B3

Promenade in high style

By Historic Old Sacramento | From Page: B4

Sac State Presents ‘Gypsy’

By California State Unversity, Sacramento | From Page: B4

Friday nights are engaging at the de Young

By Fine Arts | From Page: B5

Hats On For the Kids raises money for children

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B6

See what is inside the vault

By Center For Sacramento History | From Page: B6

Eggstravaganza

By Fairytale Town | From Page: B6

Gallery tips a hat to Dr. Seuss

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B7

Museum presents ‘Diesel Days’

By California State Railroad Museum | From Page: B7

Engagement: Adam Frega and Wednesday Bienusa

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Duty: Air Force Airman Brian Polk

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

Cal Stage presents a season of challenging productions

By California Stage | From Page: B8

Duty: Army Pfc. Kyle W. Beasy

By Democrat Staff | From Page: B8

KVIE calls for artists

By Kvie | From Page: B9

A Couple of Blaguards tell tales

By Harris Center for the Arts | From Page: B9

America’s ClayFest II celebrates a rich history

By Blue Line Arts | From Page: B14

Fine Arts Museums feature two shows

By Fine Arts | From Page: B15

See wildflowers on train ride

By Railtown | From Page: B15

Easter at Northstar is family friendly

By Northstar California | From Page: B15