Oct. 14, 1988
South County auction set Sunday
The diversity, charm and solidarity of El Dorado’s South County area will be revealed during the first-ever South County Neighborhood Auction from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 16. The auction setting, atop a hill at 2,400 foot elevation, captures spectacular fall vistas of South County.
Fitzpatrick Winery & Lodge is hosting the event, and offer their Plowman’s Lunch and wine tasting all day.
The South County Neighborhood Auction is a multi-faceted event starting at 1 p.m. with a turkey shoot, where good marksmanship could win one of six turkeys donated by Hall’s Supermarket. Then from 2 to 4 p.m., the silent auction allows bidders to preview auction items and begin bidding in a serene atmosphere and at their own pace.
Auctioneer will be Bob Edwards. All auction items were donated and 100 percent of auction proceeds will benefit the Committee to Re-elect Supervisor Pat Lowe.
70 Years ago
Oct. 14, 1943
Old Age Rolls In County Show Increase In Numbers
Old age rolls in El Dorado county listed 443 people for August, compared with 442 for June, study of changes in old age aid cases in California counties, just completed by California Taxpayers’ association shows. June was the last month before the increase in maximum aid from $40 to $50 and other liberalizations in old age assistance by the legislature went into effect.
Several Meat Delicacies Are Off Ration List
Lloyd A. Raffetto, chairman of the food panel of the local rationing board, directs housewives’ attention to many edible meat items which have been removed from the list of rationed foods.
Brains, kidneys, tripe, tails, pork neck bones are the most commonly used. The removal from the rationing list of many other items used chiefly in the manufacture of sausage has released 3,000 industrial users and industrial consumers from rationing controls.
120 Years ago
Oct. 14, 1893
Our conservative friend, A. Mierson, of the firm of Mierson & Jewell, lends a hand to the prevailing push and pull of local enterprise. He is putting up a better building than the one that burned, on his lot adjoining the store of J. G. Carr & Son, on Main Street. It is to be occupied by our enterprising young townsman, Al S. Fox, as a drug store.
A New Business Firm
When J. G. Carr came to reside in Placerville, he had been so long in business at Fairplay, that he and his interesting family were welcomed by many old time friends and acquaintances. And now that Carr & Son have added business to social relations, we have the pleasure of saluting then as permanent citizens of the best town in the State. They could not have selected a better field of operation than Placerville, nor a better stand than the old Landecker building, with its comprehensive improvements and progressive surroundings. In the new firm, patrons and competitors will find, honorable business men and accommodating gentlemen.