Oct. 28, 1988
Benefit recipe tasting event planned
by URSULA SMITH
Who was Hattie and why is Hangtown’s Gold Bug Park Development Committee planning to name a museum in her honor?
And what’s the connection between a recipe tasting party at Westwind Gallery on Sunday, Nov. 13 and Hattie and the planned museum at the Gold Bug Mine?
How’s this for a hint: The recipe tasting goes under the name of “Miner’s Daughters Buffett.”
When William Andrew Craddock opened what would later become the Gold Bug Mine in Bedford Park, he named the venture after his oldest daughter, Hattie. That was in 1888 and the mine was known as the Hattie Mine.
The idea to name the museum after Hattie Craddock Bennett came from descendants, five of whom still live in El Dorado County.
Hattie was born in Placerville Aug. 31, 1887 on Bedford Avenue at Pleasant Street, in a house that still stands. She was the second generation of Placerville natives, both her father and her mother, Lizzie Emma Bascombe, also having been born in Placerville.
Hattie married Fred Huram Bennett in 1910. Their seven children also were born in Placerville. The youngest, Georgia Bennett Little, still lives in the county at Garden Valley. The oldest, Elizabeth Bennett Losier, lives in Sacramento.
The recipe book is being designed by local artist Carol Mathis. On the cover will be a reproduction of a lithograph by the late George Mathis (Carol’s dad) entitled “Gold Bug Adit.”
Remembers her son Donald Bennett: “The chili sauce that mom made was so good and the aroma when it was being cooked filled the kitchen and brought smiles to those within range of the stove. It was so tasty and was even good on the hotcakes at breakfast!”
65 Years ago
Oct. 28, 1948
Youth Rally Scheduled For Diamond Springs
Fellowship will conduct another El Dorado County Youth “Youth Rally” at the Diamond Springs Church Saturday night at 7:45.
The Rev. Noel Crawford of the Fuller Evangelistic Foundation will be the speaker.
Special music and a lively “chorus and hymn” sing program is scheduled with accordion and guitar accompaniment to be one of the features. The meetings are open to all.
120 Years ago
Oct. 28, 1893
Miss Bine Ingram and Miss Lulu Weatherwax left on last Saturday for a week’s visit to San Francisco and Alameda. The object of the visit to San Francisco is to view the preparations for the Midwinter Fair and ascertain if the work in progress will warrant a visit to the Fair next winter. We will all go if the report is favorable.
Notice of Meeting
The annual meeting of the Eighth District Agricultural Association will be held in Placerville on Sunday, Nov. 4th, at 2 o’clock p.m. A good attendance is desired as matters of importance will come up at the meeting.
G. J. Carpenter, President.
S. Inch, Secretary.
A suitable prize will be awarded to the best lady skater, with partner, and one to the fastest lady skater, for one-half mile, at the Opera House, on Saturday evening, Nov. 4th.