Dr. Jeff Nelson, artistic director of the Cantare Chorale, will be leaving the group at the end of this season in June. The search for a new director is underway. Interested candidates should contact the group by calling 530-677-6964.
Cantare Chorale of the Sierra Foothills is a community-based mixed chorus dedicated to bringing quality choral music to the citizens of El Dorado County. Made up of volunteers from multiple generations and backgrounds, Cantare is dedicated to delivering an uplifting, transcendent experience for all who attend the concerts. Local singers are invited and encouraged to join Cantare, affording an opportunity for talented individuals to develop and polish their vocal and choral performance skills.
The chorale sings a wide repertoire — classics, traditional, folk, jazz, Broadway, spirituals — in four-, six- and eight-part harmonies. It pays particular attention to blend, expression and dynamics. It strives to bring educational and historical perspectives to the audience regarding the musical selections it performs.
Over the past 21 seasons Cantare has participated in many community events including Veterans Day and Memorial Day tributes, community concert events and Placerville’s annual tree-lighting festival. It brings the joy of music to seniors in El Dorado County convalescent and retirement communities. Cantare presents seasonal concerts in the spring and the fall and performs at events in Sacramento County, the California State Capitol and Harris Center for the Arts at Folsom Lake College.
The successful candidate for this position will be chosen for their expertise as an excellent musician and artistic director, for their capacity to challenge, develop and grow the choral skills of the singers and their ability to communicate effectively with the audience and the community.
Interested candidates should submit the following via e-mail to email@example.com no later than June 15 though applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
• Professional résumé
• Completed application form provided by Cantare
• Two references including phone numbers and e-mail addresses and up to three letters of reference, reviews or a combination of the two
• Artistic samples of work, if available
Applicant review and selection
Applicants will be screened for the following criteria:
• Musicianship: knowledge, skill and artistic sensitivity in performing music
• Directing skills: technical skills in choral conducting communicating nuances of musical expression to singers
• Communication: demonstrated skills in conveying information, exchanging ideas — working with groups and individuals
• Leadership: demonstrated capacity to build loyalty and a following in similar situations
• Community interest: understanding of and proximity to El Dorado County