American Farmland Trust offers the following top 10 reasons to celebrate National Farmers Market Week, Aug. 4 to 10. Some reasons were chosen out of the thousands consumers shared with the trust when they pledged support to the I Love My Farmers Market Celebration.
Thank you for reading the MtDemocrat.com digital edition. In order to continue reading this story please choose one of the following options.
If you are a current subscriber and wish to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com, please select the Subscriber Verification option below. If you already have a login, please select "Login" at the lower right corner of this box.
Special Introductory Offer
For a short time we will be offering a discount to those who call us in order to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your print subscription. Our customer support team will be standing by Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to assist you.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish not to take advantage of our special introductory offer, please select the $12 monthly option below to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your online subscription
1. It’s local community coming together to support and nurture each other and the earth we live on. — Tomi from Homer, N.Y.
2. For every $10 spent on local food, as much as $7.80 is re-spent in the local community. (See farmland.org/infographic for more fun facts.)
3. There’s nothing better than interacting with the people who nourish your body. — L.V. of Ashtabula, Ohio.
4. I see some of my favorite people, enjoy tasty local food and watch all the children run around and play together. It’s great. — Rachel from Hardwick, Vt.
5. Farmers take home almost $8 to $9 instead of the $1.55 that farmers and ranchers receive from the retail market.
6. We love knowing the people who grow and harvest what we eat. Shopping at the farmers market every Saturday morning connects us to our food and to our community in a way that no other activity can. It is an essential part of lives. — Diane from Palo Alto.
7. More than an acre of farmland is lost every minute to poorly planned development.
8. I love supporting local farms. Farmers are the backbone of this country’s food supply. — Felicia from Auburn. N.Y.
9. Because everyone is so friendly, the produce is beautiful and the selection is wonderful. — Tina from Healdsburg.
10. Pledge $10 to help your local farmers market become a top state market or in the Top 100 Markets (pledging ends Sept 9: final winners will receive special badges and bragging rights forevermore). lovemyfarmersmarket.org. Check to see if your market is in the ever-changing Top 100 Farmers Market Leaderboard (bit.ly/13LTXS8) or in the top three markets for California (see farmland.org/rankings).