By Janet Tharpe
I love the mix of flavors in Luci Vieira’s chicken pineapple kabob. This is an easy recipe you can fix ahead of time. Then, slide on the skewers for a quick meal after work or a great entrée for the next cookout. You may want to double the recipe — these will be gone before you know it.
Oh-so smoky and full of flavor, Denny Keller was sure on to something when he came up with Papa’s grilled chicken with a twist. The sauce is what makes the chicken.
See step-by-step photos of Luci’s recipe and Denny’s plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide can be found at justapinch.com/kabobs.
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win. Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch.” — Janet
Chicken pineapple kabob
“Everyone loves these.”
Submitted by: Luci Vieira, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
What you need
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
• In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic powder.
• Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated.
• Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least two hours.
• Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
• Lightly oil the grill grate.
• Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers.
• Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Turn chicken occasionally and baste with barbecue sauce.
Papa’s grilled chicken with a twist
Denny Keller, Covington, La (Pop. 8,765)
What you need
1 medium chicken
1 stick butter, unsalted
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup steak sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 clove fresh garlic, smashed
1 large chipotle pepper
• Wash and pat dry your chicken. Cut into pieces and set aside.
• In a small sauce pan, melt together 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of margarine. Add 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup steak sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 smashed garlic clove and 1 chipotle pepper to the butter mixture.
• Bring this to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer until the sauce slightly thickens (about 15 minutes).
• Set your grill to a medium heat.
• Put the chicken pieces on the grill skin side up.
• Baste the chicken with the sauce from beginning to end of cooking time. Rotate and flip chicken pieces every few minutes until cooked through.
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club.
Brought to you by American Hometown Media
Used by permission.