Thank you for reading the MtDemocrat.com digital edition. In order to continue reading this story please choose one of the following options.
If you are a current subscriber and wish to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com, please select the Subscriber Verification option below. If you already have a login, please select "Login" at the lower right corner of this box.
Special Introductory Offer
For a short time we will be offering a discount to those who call us in order to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your print subscription. Our customer support team will be standing by Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm to assist you.
If you are not a current subscriber and wish not to take advantage of our special introductory offer, please select the $12 monthly option below to obtain access to MtDemocrat.com and start your online subscription
By Janet Tharpe
I love the mix of flavors in Luci Vieira’s chicken pineapple kabob. This is an easy recipe you can fix ahead of time. Then, slide on the skewers for a quick meal after work or a great entrée for the next cookout. You may want to double the recipe — these will be gone before you know it.
Oh-so smoky and full of flavor, Denny Keller was sure on to something when he came up with Papa’s grilled chicken with a twist. The sauce is what makes the chicken.
See step-by-step photos of Luci’s recipe and Denny’s plus thousands more from home cooks nationwide can be found at justapinch.com/kabobs.
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win. Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch.” — Janet
Chicken pineapple kabob
“Everyone loves these.”
Submitted by: Luci Vieira, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
What you need
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
1/2 cup your favorite barbecue sauce
• In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic powder.
• Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated.
• Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least two hours.
• Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
• Lightly oil the grill grate.
• Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers.
• Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Turn chicken occasionally and baste with barbecue sauce.
Papa’s grilled chicken with a twist
Denny Keller, Covington, La (Pop. 8,765)
What you need
1 medium chicken
1 stick butter, unsalted
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup steak sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 clove fresh garlic, smashed
1 large chipotle pepper
• Wash and pat dry your chicken. Cut into pieces and set aside.
• In a small sauce pan, melt together 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of margarine. Add 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup steak sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 smashed garlic clove and 1 chipotle pepper to the butter mixture.
• Bring this to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer until the sauce slightly thickens (about 15 minutes).
• Set your grill to a medium heat.
• Put the chicken pieces on the grill skin side up.
• Baste the chicken with the sauce from beginning to end of cooking time. Rotate and flip chicken pieces every few minutes until cooked through.
© 2011 Just A Pinch Recipe Club.
Brought to you by American Hometown Media
Used by permission.