The Rescue Union School District is now accepting applications for the Rescue COOL School. The COOL stands for Collaborative Opportunities for Online Learning.
The COOL School is a highly successful, virtual independent study program where students complete most of their work online at home and also have the option to attend class a few hours each week to receive support from a full academic team led by a certificated teacher.
Information nights will be held on Thursday, June 28 and Wednesday, July 25 from 6 to 7 p.m. in the Rescue COOL School, 2240 Sailsbury Drive in El Dorado Hills.
A free, public educational alternative, the COOL School employs technology and 21st century learning tools and techniques to deliver the best academic experience for your child.
The COOL School curriculum is a rigorous, media-rich curriculum that actively engages students through the use of quality digital courses in the core subjects of math, science, language arts, and history/social science and offers some electives for middle school students.
All coursework is aligned to the California State Standards and delivered in partnership with OdysseyWare, a national learning management system.
Benefits to students include:
• Free, alternative public education for home schooled and nontraditional students
• Program options are flexible to meet the needs of the student and family
• Personalized learning plans allow students to progress at their own pace
• Students and parents are supported by a highly-qualified, certificated teacher
• Students complete their coursework online at home with the help of the parent/guardian
• Ample opportunities for social connections through our blended learning model
• Certificated teachers constantly monitor individual student progress
• Parent/guardians have real-time access to the student’s assignments, grades, teacher feedback and announcements
Students have access to district programs such as instrumental band, physical education, visual and performing arts, extra-curricular programs and school libraries as individual and school schedules allow.
Students that enroll will be able to choose from three flexible program options involving online coursework, face-to-face instruction and a traditional independent study program utilizing district adopted textbooks.
These options include:
1. Blended Online Learning Program: Students complete most coursework online at home and attend class in the COOL School Learning Center two days a week for 2 1/2 hours under the direction of a highly qualified, certificated teacher. Classroom instruction focuses on hands-on science activities, writing, literature and individual areas of student need. Students will also experience socialization and interaction through collaborative project-based learning and field trips with grade level peers.
2.Independent Online Learning Program: In this program, students complete their coursework online at home. A credentialed teacher will continually monitor student progress and individualize their learning plan accordingly. Students and parents will meet with the instructor regularly.
3.Traditional Independent Study Program: Students meet weekly with a teacher to establish, monitor and evaluate student progress on the work plan. Students work independently at home to complete coursework using traditional, district adopted text materials.
The Rescue Union School District encourages you to carefully consider this new and exciting opportunity for your child.
For directions or to learn more about this innovative program go to RescueCoolSchool.org or contact Sheila Simmons, the program director, at 530-672-4805 or e-mail COOLSchool@rescue.k12.ca.us.