Sacramento museums honor vets in November
In November, many of the 30 members of Sacramento Association of Museums (SAM) are offering special Veteran’s Day related events and activities, including:
- Free museum admission for veterans at Maidu Museum and Historic Site — Nov. 6 to 15. All veterans can enjoy free admission. Showing daily at 2 p.m. is a one-hour documentary featuring three Northern California Native American veterans that is titled “Original Patriots: Northern California Indian Veterans of WWII.” For more information visit roseville.ca.us/indianmuseum.
- “Invisible: PTSD’s Stealth Attack on a Vietnam War Veteran” book release and signing with author at the Aerospace Museum of California — Nov. 9. The Aerospace Museum is proud to offer a free “meet and greet” opportunity at 10 a.m. with Vietnam War Veteran William J. Blaylock, author of “Invisible: PTSD’s Stealth Attack on a Vietnam War Veteran,” a memoir about his struggles with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. For more information visit aerospaceca.org.
- Patriotism and Sacramentan’s Involvement in U.S. Wars Tours at Sacramento’s Historic City Cemetery — Nov. 9. Established in 1849, Sacramento’s Old City Cemetery can date one of its residents back to the War of 1812. Visitors are invited to participate in a special tour to hear about the contributions of our forefathers in the making of America. For more information visit oldcitycemetery.com.
- Veteran’s Day Activities at the Aerospace Museum of California — Nov. 11.The Aerospace Museum will be open on this holiday with a special ceremony at 11 a.m. by the McClellan Retired Chiefs group in front of the building. Representatives from the Tuskegee Airmen local chapter will also be in attendance. For more information visit aerospaceca.org.
- Free museum admission at the California State Military Museum — Nov. 11.The official military museum and historical research center of the State of California, the California State Military Museum in Old Sacramento will be open on Veteran’s Day and offering free admission to everyone on this special holiday. For more information visit militarymuseum.org.
- Free train rides and museum admission for veterans at the California State Railroad Museum -— Nov. 11.To honor their service, the California State Railroad Museum is proud to offer veterans and active military personnel with complimentary excursion train rides on the Sacramento Southern Railroad at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. plus complimentary museum admission on Veteran’s Day. For more information visit csrmf.org.
- Military Family Day at the Sacramento Zoo — Nov. 11. In appreciation for our troops, all military personnel, veterans and their families will receive a special half-off discount on zoo admission on Veteran’s Day. For more information visit saczoo.org.
- Night Out at the Museum at the Maidu Museum & Historic Site — Nov. 16. The Maidu Museum is proud to present a free “Night Out at the Museum” that honors veterans with a screening of “Original Patriots: Northern California Indian Veterans of WWII” a one-hour documentary featuring three Northern California Native American veterans. At 7 p.m., Native American veteran Alan Wallace will introduce the film and speak about his new project. For more information visit roseville.ca.us/indianmuseum.
Sacramento Association Of Museums