Students raising dollars for a dog

From page B1 | October 14, 2013 | 29 Comments

The Edwin Markham School Marquee Leadership group is organizing a community service opportunity to benefit the Placerville Police Department.

The group learned that the Placerville Police dog is retiring soon and it is trying to raise money for a new police dog, as well as dog equipment for the Placerville Police Department.

The group is reaching out to the public for donations to help raise the money. The project will benefit the Police Department, the community and provide a valuable lesson for the Markham students.

Some of the suggested donations are: water bowl, leashes, collars, tug ropes, tennis balls and any other new or gently used dog toys sitting around your house.

Supporters can send checks or donations directly to Edwin Markham School, 2800 Moulton Drive, Placerville, 95667. Make checks payable to Markham Middle School with Dollars for Dogs on the memo line. The last day to donate is Dec. 16.

Diane Schmidt, seventh grade language arts and leadership teacher at Markham, appreciates any contribution and can be contacted at 530-622-0403 ext. 5504

Democrat Staff

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 12:26 pm

Really don't mean to be an old grouch, but if Placerville needs a police dog (which they do), then Placerville should pay for one. Mayor?

• Valerie MischOctober 11, 2013 - 1:13 pm

A wonderful way to get our school-aged citizens involved in local issues!!!!

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 1:40 pm

Ms. Misch, I do not agree with you. When I read the headline I thought it was children raising money to treat an injured dog. Instead, it is children soliciting money to buy city equipment (K9). I don't think it is wonderful to teach our children that they have to come up with money to fund our city government. What's next? Children soliciting money to help fund the replacement of city water lines or pay raises for the Mayor?

• Dee#1October 11, 2013 - 3:03 pm

Longhofer, the K-9 is a want not a need. Therefore , if a segment thinks this need is important enough to help support, then they should have the opportunity to acquire the dog without soaking the taxpayers. The kids are learning about leadership through community service on a project they choose. I already donated and I am going to make another donation in your name because I to think a k9 is a useful tool for our Police Department and I am pleased to be able to help support the kids effort.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 3:33 pm

Dee, OK, in hope of continued good relations on the Mt.Democrat site I'll donate $50.00, but I still think it's wrong to have citizens buy police equipment that's a need, not a want. Will we all be liable when the dog severely bites someone? A few years back, a neighbor wanted local homeowners to pave a city street. I told him that citizens don't pave city streets and if they did they would have liability for any accident caused by improper paving of the street. He backed off and got a friend on the BOS to have the City pave the street. City business is city business!! My check will be in the mail tomorrow AM.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 3:37 pm

ADDED: I hope the president doesn't cave like I just did. And, given I will have some ownership for the police dog I want some visitation rights.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 3:42 pm

Make my donation $100.00. Come on kids, let's buy my dog.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 3:52 pm

Dee knows I like dogs.

• Phil VeerkampOctober 11, 2013 - 4:13 pm

Bless you, James. Perhaps you have a few more $$$ for this worthy cause? - LINK - A Service Dog Hero for Hailey

• Phil VeerkampOctober 11, 2013 - 4:15 pm

LINK - Hail to Cesar, Drake and Jacob

• Alexa FilaOctober 21, 2013 - 6:27 pm

Thank you Phil! Just saw this bump you posted for Hailey.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 4:35 pm

Phil, I've tried to send a donation to Hailey, but the site won't accept my donation. I entered my credit card and hit donate: They keep saying I have to enter my full name -- of course I did, so I did it again and again. No luck. I can see why they are having trouble getting money for Hailey. How come they aren't hooked up with PayPal? Do you see anywhere on the site which gives an address so I can send a check?

• Dee#1October 11, 2013 - 5:41 pm

James, I just doubled by donation because of your good spirit. I hope they him Colonel. It is nice to contribute without a gun to the head. And actually donations to government entities happen frequently. Thank you, Colonel.

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:56 pm

Dee, your effort and my effort today makes the kids closer to a police dog. And, say, how about some corporate donations?

• James E.October 11, 2013 - 5:58 pm

And, Dee, I did notice the use of James/colonel -- thank you.

• Dee#1October 11, 2013 - 6:06 pm

Well James, the kids are off to a good start. Usually the businesses do kick in when the kids have fund raisers. I can't be rude when you are being generous.

• Cris AlarconOctober 12, 2013 - 6:31 am

Local law enforcement agencies do NOT think a K9 unit is a 'need', but rather a 'want.' Because of this, K9 units are paid for by the Officer out of his pocket, not the department, therefore, Not the taxpayers. If you don't think a K9 unit is justified for the Placerville PD, don't contribute and you won't get any tax bill. If you do like the idea, why not help out?

• Dee#1October 12, 2013 - 11:32 am

Cris, I don't know what your problem is, but if it is a need, the City would pick up the tab. Is it nice to have K9? Yes, but our police force would continue the good job they do without it. James and I have contributed 2/5 of the goal for the dog. You should be saying "Thank you.".

• Cris AlarconOctober 14, 2013 - 5:23 am

Dee, the words are 'you are welcome.' I have supported Police service dogs for over 30 years including donations to both Hank (PPD) and Asko (EDSO). You seem to be late to the game. There are many good reasons police use K(s and also why they don't pay for them. Chew on this, although the dog belongs to the law enforcement agency technically, the dog is really a "unit" with the two-legged officer. When the officer leave, retires etc, the dog normally stays with the officer. If the department paid for the dog they would not be able to do this (you cannot gift public property to employees). Training this kind of dog for its work is very time intensive and the bond between the dog and officer cannot be over stated. To force the dog and officer apart because of departmental asset issues is just cruel to both the dog and officer. BTW Dee, thanks for getting on the band wagon, even if you are late.

• Dee#1October 14, 2013 - 11:30 am

Cris, I am very aware of the issues of K9 and supported Hank and Asko , as well as the Law Enforcement Champlaincy. You will note that I WAS happy about again donating until your missive. Your attitude towards someone who was in your corner is very worrying to a law enforcement supporter. Perhaps the concern of a militarized law enforcement is credible after all. You have put yourself out there as a representative of law enforcement, perhaps you should think about your attitude and how it effects people. A begrudged thank you doesn't cut it.

• Cris AlarconOctober 15, 2013 - 4:21 am

My point was to let people know that regardless if they supported, or not, taxpayers would not be getting soaked. So support, or don't, but don't let the "straw man" get in the way of your choice. BTW Dee, I agree with you and was taking exception to James' comments.

• Dee#1October 15, 2013 - 8:15 am

Cris, thank you for the explanation. Here is hoping the kids reach 200% of their goal.

• James E.October 21, 2013 - 7:20 pm

Ms. Fila. Please let us know how much has been donated for Hailey. I've asked the foundation, but they seem too busy (?) to let me know. How much has been donated, and how much is the cost of the dog. I am about to make a substantial donation, but it would be nice to know whether we are close or far.

• Alexa FilaOctober 22, 2013 - 2:38 am

Helo James E., I've replied to several posts of inquiry hoping you'd be alerted to my comments. Clearly not? I added the seizure response dog trainer's mailing address, 501(c)(3) and EIN #s in comments @ "Hail to..." Letter to Editor thread. Of the $12,500 original total, grant of $2,500 was approved today (to be used for final payment only). So, in fact, I only (and I use the term loosely) need to raise total of 10k. We've raised $5,800 as of today. Unbelievable - just $4,200 to go! Thanks again for your continued interest and kindness. This is beginning to feel it may really happen for my heroic daughter. From $12,500 due in August to $4,200 due today - stunning!

• James E.October 21, 2013 - 7:22 pm

Phil, did you make your most recent donation by web site or mailed check?

• James E.October 21, 2013 - 7:33 pm

Phil, as you have contact with Ms. Fila via email, could you contact her and ask her to come online and let us know the status of the effort for Hailey.

• James E.October 21, 2013 - 7:59 pm

Phil, the doggy foundation indicates you can go to their site, donate via PayPal, and designate the donation for Hailey. I attempted to do so just a moment ago and when you pay by PayPal there is no place to identify the donation for Hailey. So, I am going the check route again where one can list Hailey Huntington in the Memo section of the check.

• James E.October 22, 2013 - 7:28 am

Ms. Fila, my second contribution in the mail today -- it will make you much closer. Please give us, at least once a week, a reminder of the total contributed and the amount still needed. I believe those on this site can make it happen.

• James E.October 22, 2013 - 7:45 am

Dee, Dollars for K9 cashed my check.

By Michael Raffety | From Page: A2, 1 Comment