The summer months are fast approaching, and summer means vacations. Nearly every pet owner has been faced with the dilemma of what to do with their pet when they leave for a vacation. Luckily, El Dorado County has many options for pet owners, including Uppity Pup, the boarding kennel and doggie daycare voted the No. 1 kennel for 2010 by Mountain Democrat readers.
Owners Linda and Daniel Peters opened Uppity Pup, located at 4604 Enterprise Court in Diamond Springs, three years ago. The all-indoor facility includes large play and exercise areas, different sized kennels to meet the needs of any dog and a living room area for dogs to hang out and relax in. While Uppity Pup does not deny any breed of dog, many boarding facilities have restrictions on breeds they will accept. This and other considerations led Linda Peters to offer pet owners trying to plan a vacation the following tips:
• Include your pet, if possible.
• If you can’t take your pet with you, find an option that best meets his or her needs.
• If boarding, visit different facilities and find a place that you feel comfortable with. Ask to see where your dog will be spending most of his or her time. Be suspicious of any place that won’t allow you to see what’s “behind closed doors.”
• Bring your dog’s food, medication, special treats, toys and bedding so he or she will feel as little stress as possible. Throwing in an old t-shirt that you slept in the night before sometimes is soothing to them.
• Make sure all vaccinations are up-to-date, whether you take your pet with you or board him or her.
If boarding is not an option, Peters said having your pet stay with a friend or relative, or having that person stay at your home, is the next best option. She believes that leaving your dog at home and relying on a friend or neighbor to stop by to check on them periodically is not a good option for dog owners.
“This might work out okay with a cat, but dogs can get into some major mischief when they are stressed and alone,” she said.
It is also important to keep your pet’s personality in mind when deciding on the best option for him or her. If you have a social dog who loves to play, make sure to find a boarding facility that includes enough daily play time. If your pet prefers more lounge time, make sure there will be some place comfortable for him or her to relax.
Uppity Pup is an excellent option when it comes time to take off for some rest and relaxation this summer. With over 5,000 square feet to work with, your dog will have plenty of room to lounge and play.
“We truly do love dogs and want to provide the best for them,” Peters said. “We want to be your dog’s second home and for them to be excited to come and spend time with us.”
Rates for boarding and doggie daycare are listed on Uppity Pup’s Website at uppitypup.com. You can reach the business at 530-626-1530 during the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Uppity Pup takes pride in the quality of service it offers and the love the staff has for dogs, which is why so many choose this facility for their boarding needs.