Since 1959, Marshall Medical Center has helped welcome many new lives into the world. The maternity unit was housed all along in the original part of the hospital. It’s small, shared rooms were from a time when birth was an event between a woman and her doctor — not a family event as it is now.
For years, Marshall planned for a time when it could open a new, modern birth center, and be able to match the excellent care provided to new, ample amenities and space.
That time arrived in January, when Marshall opened its new Birth Center to the public.
All the rooms are private and feature a multitude of comforting amenities, including:
• Oversized, private suites designed for moms and support person to stay overnight
• Whirlpool baths in spacious bathrooms
• Large windows let in abundant natural light
• Wi-fi access and TV/DVD players
• Privacy alcove just outside rooms allows for family and phone conversations
• Dedicated operating room for C-section needs located within the unit
• Expanded nursery and waiting room area
According to Deena Purdy, Birth Center director, the long wait in opening the new unit just makes it that much more sweet.
“We know moms want the comfort and space to go along with the excellent, compassionate care we’re known for, so we’re very proud to offer this wonderful new Birth Center to the public,” she said.
The new Birth Center builds on the highly regarded patient care experience Marshall’s maternity services are known for — in addition to outstanding baby friendly practices such as high breast feeding success rates.
Birth Center Tour Information: Marshall offers ongoing tours of the new Birth Center to expectant parents. Call 530-626-2638 for more information.